Starting after running out of fuel

Nomad

Does anybody know what the NC700xd , is like to start after running dry, out of fuel.? Seing as we have no reserve , and once the fuel gauge flashes how long to zero?......

Guest robin

When reserve takes effect trip A stops counting mileage and counts up 1 --7. They may be litres but not sure. When it gets to 7 is when you start pushing.

I'm not certain (having never tried) but am pretty sure she'd start straight up once the tank had been replenished. Diesels that run dry can be a bugger to get going again as air can get into the fuel lines, but the NC? Nah, that only feels like a diesel..

:D

• Like 5
Derek_Mac

Does anybody know what the NC700xd , is like to start after running dry, out of fuel.? Seing as we have no reserve , and once the fuel gauge flashes how long to zero?......

I can manage about 50 miles once the gauge starts flashing on my 700xd, I can usually get about 11 litres into her if I panic and head straight for a petrol pump.

Speaking from experience it starts no problem once you've put fuel in it.

A couple of prods on the starter button and it fires up.

Newoldbiker

I've had the pleasure of running out twice and there was no problem at all.  Filled it up, pressed the starter and off we go.  Now much more cautious - tend not to let it go over 225.  Have had 243 out of a tank with 1/2 a litre left.  Ran out at 230 and had to push it about a mile to Tesco Wembley.  Took me about 45 minutes!  :mad:

• Like 3
Andy m

How much did it take from empty?

Andy

Newoldbiker

Just checked Fuelly....13.841 litres the first time at 229 miles and 13.942 litres two weeks later at 227 miles - November  2015- it always does worse MPG in winter.  Now - get nervous over 220.  But depends when the fuel gauge starts flashing.  Most often around 170 miles but in summer often around 190.  Like I said did 247 miles (not 243) for 13.631 litres in July 2015.

Sad stato's aren't we... but hey I don't give a sh*t  :dielaugh:  

• Like 1
Andy m

Thank you.

I think its need to know information. You can spend your Sundays worrying if the dodgy farmer with his cans of war surplus 65 octane in Phlegm-on-whyii will open so you can fill up, then get up early on Monday to call in at Tesco's in order to make it to work, or you can get a bike with decent range and stop worrying.

Andy

• Like 1
Defender

Yes, I can catagoricaly say that there are no problems restarting after running out of fuel, just let the pump run for a few more seconds before trying to restart it, it may take a couple of burst of the starter before it fires up, so only use the starter for 5-10 seconds at a time.

I ranout at 251 miles and took 14.11 litres to fill.

• Like 1
Andy m

With my first longish run coming up I ran it down then filled up this morning. 0.4 gallons into the reserve and took 12.7 litres. Looks like Honda didn't lie when they claimed the 2016 tank is 14.

220-230 miles seems to be the point to feel nervous as a bit of town use can drop to 75 mpg.

Andy

• Like 3

Thank you.

I think its need to know information. You can spend your Sundays worrying if the dodgy farmer with his cans of war surplus 65 octane in Phlegm-on-whyii will open so you can fill up, then get up early on Monday to call in at Tesco's in order to make it to work, or you can get a bike with decent range and stop worrying.

Andy

I'm not bothered about being able to do (say) 400 miles in one stint, as I need to get off and stretch long, long before that, but that sort of range would be helpful for any number of reasons.

Ages ago I was doing a temporary job in Maidstone and could commute on my VFR (which cost me) or in a company car (which didn't). At the time of day I traveled ( had to be at work for 07:00) there was bugger all advantage to using the bike except fun. The Viffer needed petrol every other day, the car needed diesel once a week.

• Like 2

Just checked Fuelly....13.841 litres the first time at 229 miles and 13.942 litres two weeks later at 227 miles - November  2015- it always does worse MPG in winter.  Now - get nervous over 220.  But depends when the fuel gauge starts flashing.  Most often around 170 miles but in summer often around 190.  Like I said did 247 miles (not 243) for 13.631 litres in July 2015.

Sad stato's aren't we... but hey I don't give a sh*t  :dielaugh:  

Brill, Just what I needed ,

Andy m

Today the NC did the peak district, Bletchley Park and out to my overnight stop. All on one tank, no worries no hassle. The old boy filled his Burgervan 400 at the lunch break, but you can forgive a scooter having a city range. My old Bonneville would have been joining it at the pump which would have meant more thinking, especially if we'd gone North rather than South.

Think I got 85 mpg today :-)

Andy

• Like 2
Guest sykospain

Amazing fuel economy.

And Miles is braver than me:- "I ran out at 251 miles and took 14.11 litres to fill." 

Most I've ever managed to squeeze into the tank with it on the centre-stand is 12 liters.

Isn't there something about damage to the Cat if it runs completely dry ? ?

Edited by sykospain
larryblag

Amazing fuel economy.

And Miles is braver than me:- "I ran out at 251 miles and took 14.11 litres to fill." 

Most I've ever managed to squeeze into the tank with it on the centre-stand is 12 liters.

Isn't there something about damage to the Cat if it runs completely dry ? ?

I doubt it, running with a misfire for any length of time or using leaded fuel (if you can find any) will damage the cat though.

Newoldbiker

It just coughed a couple of times then stopped when I ran out.  I think 220-230 miles is about the time to fill up. Anything more and I get nervous.  I do about 45 miles every weekday and it needs filling once a week.  Seems reasonable to me.

• Like 1