32000 SERVICE?

roddy

I have my 32000 service arriving very shortly. Its an expensive one which I don't have the spare cash to have done yet. I was thinking of just having an oil and filter change just to make sure the engine keeps in tip top condition. I know the spark plugs need changing but they will have to wait at least until the colder weather arrives. Any tips on anything else to watch out for? Thanks.

ScaredyCat

Are you still taking it to a main dealer? 

There's no way I'm going back with mine and I've only done 18k - found, via Giley, a local guy to do any 'heavy lifting' on mine. 

Guest sykospain

I swear by regular oil and filter changes - always have on my previous bikes, too.  As usual, I recommend you buy the HiFlo HF204 main filter with the 17mm nut welded on the top to save messing about with filter wrenches in future, K&N do a similar one for much more money.

The 50K Km strip-down video on U-Toob shows very little wear in the manual clutch and valve tappet settings on Honda Montesa's dealer-serviced 700X bike total disassembly, but maybe the possibility of any chain / sprocket wear on your 32K miles bike might need a good coat of looking.  Lots of info on final drive issues in these pages.

Otherwise, as you say the plugs job needs doing and it's not difficult or time-consuming, with the routine explained in your rider's maintenance handbook.

Maybe also check for any steering-head bearing play which can be an MOT failure.  Usual method is to firmly press the front wheel against a wall and see if you can detect any clicky play as you push-and-release on the bars.

Because this is a budget bike, assembled with budget components, there've been issues with comparatively premature wheel-bearing wear, so watch out for that.  But you really need a centre-stand or paddock stand fitted in order to be able to check for sideways movement as you grab the tyre and heave it in and out.  Same comments apply with any possible swing-arm bearing wear.

Some bikes seem to have been put together with very little grease down that bottom end ( snicker-snicker ) when the assembly tecnico was thinking less about doing a good job in the factory that afternoon rather than musing about his girlfriend's promise for that evening...

Just pay Ted a few snoojits on the Donate page to become a Supporter of this forum and thus benefit from all the shop details for the bike, so you can check out the detailed list of jobs printed there.

But in general, so long as you keep fresh oil in it, this model or range of bikes seems to go on and on....

Happy wrenching.

Edited by sykospain
Slowboy

Roddy, call me, PM sent

Brian

trisaki

Shame you aren't near my wshop in West Sussex i 1 could do your service and be a lot cheaper then the dealer and do more stuff

Edited by trisaki
  • Like 1

its easy to jack the bike up without paddock or centre stand to check bearing play and cush lash ,,even without a jack at all its not to hard to pull the bike over on its side stand and tie it up somewhere safe (my last choice oc).

if your short of cash and dont want to do it yourself and the bikes running fine ,i am sure just the oil filter change will not cause any long term issues ,,eventually the air filter will block and very eventually the spark plugs will degrade . mine looked as good as new when i swapped them out .

Even the brake fluid on this type of bike isnt critical to change as your unlikely to be at a race track to get the brakes hot enough for the accumulated moisture to steam up causing brake fade.

Apart from the oil filter change most my regular maintenance is brake calliper cleaning and piston  freeing.

My feelings about this bike after 4 years and 50000 miles is if it aint broke don't fix it.,just dab oil on dry looking bolts and screws and any rust spots.

• Like 1

Once again I appreciate the advice and tips. It amazes me how knowledgable and helpful people are on here and rubber stamps why I enjoy being a member.

Guest sykospain

Hey Pete - VERY sensible tips.

What's the difference between a lawn mower and a bagpipe? 
You can tune a lawn mower.

The old ones are the best....