Late 1st service

larryblag

larryblag

Good morning all. Bit of a dilema.

NCS has already done 545 miles so I booked it on for 1st service. Trouble is, they (local dealer) can't get it in for a fortnight so I'm probably going to go over by about 200 miles. It's testament though to how much we've "gelled" with the bike I suppose.

Guest bonekicker

Philip dont worry --I think most of us have gone over the guide line service mileage-- just book it in --and carry on riding :thumbsup:  

+1 on the above. I was a couple hundred miles over on my first service.

• Like 1

Interestingly, cars have done away with the first service altogether. Most are 12, 18 or even 24 months from delivery. Modern design, metallurgy, manufacturing and lubricants render a 'first service' superfluous. But as it's part of the Honda service schedule you need to get it done within a 'reasonable' period of when it's due. 800 will be fine.

• Like 1
Gerrymac

I agree with all above a few hundred miles here or there won't be a problem, I do think your dealership two week wait is a bit excessive why not phone around for another Honda dealership even if it is a bit further away you don't have to stick to where you bought the bike.

• Like 1
outrunner

You do not have to use a Honda dealer, as long as genuine Honda filters are used along with the specified grade of oil your warranty will be OK.

Andy.

DaveM59

Car engines (and bikes probably) are now made to finer tolerances, plus the bore machining is much smoother and there are far cleaner environments used during assembly, so dirt and dust is no longer an issue therefore generally running in is not required. The days of BL Cars hammering parts to make them fit has long gone so really running in is as much for the owner to get used to the vehicle and it's controls more than for the vehicle to do anything.

Cars may well have done away with a first service as they use a separate lubrication for each moving part (in the main) so can be fitted with synthetic lubricants right from the factory and will not need changing at a shorter time scale.

Bikes though use one oil for engine and gearbox and there will still be some components that bed in, such as clutch plates, gear teeth, which lead to early contamination and all parts are pressure fed by the same circulation system. Plus I understand the oil fitted initially is still a mineral derivative to enable the slight wear for bedding in to take place so will need an early renewal to be replaced by a synthetic. This is why if you don't give the new bike a good workout and run it through all types of loads during this period, once the synthetic oil goes in at the first service, any further bedding in is almost stopped. Also there may still be more manual assembly and less environmentally pure production lines in bike factories, I don't know but if so then dirt and some dust may still feature.

If this is true then it explains why bikes run in too gently can for the rest of their lives seem to be a little more troublesome, or not as smooth, use a drop of oil and seem less refined than ones run in quite harshly. This may explain why bikes initially run in by the book still seem to get better with mileage as far as engine performance goes. As such a slightly late initial service is a good thing as it allows a gentler running in yet plenty of time for any bedding in to take place. Not all new owners feel they should ride normally with a new bike and religiously follow the handbook instructions for gentle use which is really to be more for safety of the rider as if there is a defect in a brake or wheel bearing, on a bike it has a more serious consequence than a car.

• Like 2
larryblag

With regard to running in, I've not quite taken the salesman's "ride it like you stole it" method nor the "Ever so gently does it" but something in between. Using about half the available revs for the first hundred miles then gradually exploring the whole "envelope" from that point on. That said it's not going to be red-lined as I don't believe this type of engine would benefit from it.

Thanks guys though, with regard to the first service advice. My last brand new bike was a Kawasaki (Kymco) J300 Scooter (Ninja 300 engine) and that too went over a bit (nearly a month's waiting list for that one).

Rocker66

I agree with all above a few hundred miles here or there won't be a problem, I do think your dealership two week wait is a bit excessive why not phone around for another Honda dealership even if it is a bit further away you don't have to stick to where you bought the bike.

It could be the wait is because the dealer is a good one and therefore popular. often the fact the dealer is busy is a good sign

• Like 2
RussB644

Dealers aren't troubled by the slightly higher mileage either, mine certainly wasn't with my previous Honda when the first service was several hundred miles over... :)

• Like 1
embee

With regard to running in, I've not quite taken the salesman's "ride it like you stole it" method nor the "Ever so gently does it" but something in between. Using about half the available revs for the first hundred miles then gradually exploring the whole "envelope" from that point on. That said it's not going to be red-lined as I don't believe this type of engine would benefit from it.

Thanks guys though, with regard to the first service advice. My last brand new bike was a Kawasaki (Kymco) J300 Scooter (Ninja 300 engine) and that too went over a bit (nearly a month's waiting list for that one).

I've worked in engine design/development for 35+yrs. In the industry a development engine would have usually a 10hr break-in on a test-bed. The cycles vary a bit by manufacturer, but basically start at low speeds for the first hour or so, then build up the loads, then progressively build speed/load combinations until at the end it would run typically 15mins at max power and15mins at max speed. Then it would have a full stabilised power curve, full load throughout the speed range.

After the first service (typically 20hrs road running = around 600mls) it will definitely benefit from taking it up to near the max at wide open throttle  occasionally. The usual problem with bikes is that it's difficult to get enough load+speed on them on a public road, especially the bigger bikes (150+mph capable). Just make sure it's warmed up for a few miles before you give it beans. It really will help with the long term performance to make it work hard occasionally at this stage in it's life. Don't baby it. Modern engines are pretty much bomb proof, especially Hondas. They suffer much more from effects of slow running and cold starts than from high speeds/loads.

Don't leave it idling to warm up either, start it, let it settle for maybe 30sec or so, then ride off gently to warm it up.

• Like 2
larryblag

Don't leave it idling to warm up either, start it, let it settle for maybe 30sec or so, then ride off gently to warm it up.

Thanks, very useful advice - tis what I've done since owning the 1150/1200 RTs too. Edited by larryblag
RussB644

I've worked in engine design/development for 35+yrs. In the industry a development engine would have usually a 10hr break-in on a test-bed. The cycles vary a bit by manufacturer, but basically start at low speeds for the first hour or so, then build up the loads, then progressively build speed/load combinations until at the end it would run typically 15mins at max power and15mins at max speed. Then it would have a full stabilised power curve, full load throughout the speed range.

After the first service (typically 20hrs road running = around 600mls) it will definitely benefit from taking it up to near the max at wide open throttle  occasionally. The usual problem with bikes is that it's difficult to get enough load+speed on them on a public road, especially the bigger bikes (150+mph capable). Just make sure it's warmed up for a few miles before you give it beans. It really will help with the long term performance to make it work hard occasionally at this stage in it's life. Don't baby it. Modern engines are pretty much bomb proof, especially Hondas. They suffer much more from effects of slow running and cold starts than from high speeds/loads.

Interesting feedback :)