New 2016 bike using oil?

Mike5100

Mike5100

My bike was serviced at 700 miles nd has now done another 2300 miles.  I was very surprised to find today that I needed to top up the oil by 300cc.  I measured it properly (3-5 minute warmup then checked it after another 3 minutes and the bike was vertical and on level ground and I followed the user manual guidelines).

I never had to top up either of my other NC's in between the 8000 mile services.

Has anyone else with a new 2016 bike found it using oil?

Mike

Guest machinman

Are you sure it was correct when it was serviced? My dealer is a buggar for overfilling.

Il be stunned if it's using oil, I'd correct it yourself and then monitor.

PoppetM

What oil should we put in? Name and weights please

Mike5100

Did you get a 2016 bike Poppet.  If so I'd be keen to know if it's using alot of oil (There are quite a few threads about what type and grade to use).

Thanks

Mike

Guest bonekicker

Mike my previous NC750X was under filled at service--the dealer said just bring it in and we will top it up--so it sounded a regular event--But keep a check on it--and let us know. :blink:

Grumpy old man

Hi Mike

Did you check the oil level after the service? I had my 8000 mile service done at the local Honda dealer and when I checked the oil on return home found it only just touched the stick. Took it back and they topped it up. I think we use the same dealer. 

• Like 1
Mike5100

Hi Mike

Did you check the oil level after the service? I had my 8000 mile service done at the local Honda dealer and when I checked the oil on return home found it only just touched the stick. Took it back and they topped it up. I think we use the same dealer. 

Hmmmm ... thanks for that Lloyd.  No I didn't check it.  Hope it hasn't damaged anything

Mike

Grumpy old man

Hi Mike

Sent you  a PM but it has Block in red by the side of it. Have you received it?

Mike5100

Hi Mike

Sent you  a PM but it has Block in red by the side of it. Have you received it?

Wonder why it showed that block, 'cos I received it ok

Thanks

Mike

glencoeman

Always check oil levels, tyre pressures etc after a service as it's usually just apprentices who do basic servicing at large dealers.

My bet is that the dealer under filled it. Possibly by screwing the dipstick all the way in? Whatever. I doubt any damage will have been caused, but that's what warranties are for. You need to be seriously short of oil to cause actual damage these days.

PoppetM

Did you get a 2016 bike Poppet.  If so I'd be keen to know if it's using alot of oil (There are quite a few threads about what type and grade to use).

Thanks

Mike

Hi Mike, I am on a2016 bike, only had it a week,but will certainly comment when I check the oil this evening
embee

The other thing they might have done was to drain old oil and fit a new filter (empty), then to add oil up to the mark but not topped it up after running the engine once the filter and oil galleries had filled.  A filter is typically around 200cc.

Always worth a quick check of oil level plus if the drain plug has actually been tightened .............................

Guest machinman

Makes you wonder why we use so called professionals. After my recent swing arm replacement, I checked the work and found that the rear exhaust had been slipped on but not tightened at the pinch clamp or at the hanger on the footrest. For that reason Il be doing everything else myself.

I later found out the work was done by the apprentice, and clearly not checked by a senior tech.

I know we've debated the need to support dealers, but if I'm paying for sub standard work I'd rather keep it in my pocket.

Mike5100

The other thing they might have done was to drain old oil and fit a new filter (empty), then to add oil up to the mark but not topped it up after running the engine once the filter and oil galleries had filled. A filter is typically around 200cc.

Always worth a quick check of oil level plus if the drain plug has actually been tightened .............................

I suspect this too Murray and if they changed the dct filter at the first service there's probably the other 100cc

One other possibility is that they put the amount of oil in that the manual bike needs rather than the dct. This is 400cc less but the workshop manual is a bit strange in that it says after draining and filter change they take the same

I would not like to run a bike workshop. Staff are expensive customers think the hourly rate is extortionate everyone needs their bike fixing today and the bikes are now horrendously complicated not helped by ambiguous workshop manuals which incidentally would have been much easier to understand in colour. Fancy including a wiring diagram in black and white FGS

Mikr

• Like 3

You want to know how to make a 'small fortune' out of running a dealership?

Start with a large one!

That's actually what we say about racing, but it's equally true of dealers, sadly.

I've spent my entire working life in the motor and motorcycle trade and, trust me on this, if I was looking to invest in a business they would be the very last place I would look.

• Like 1
Andy m

10W30. For my money any motorcycle oil with a name I've heard of, not Halfrauds own brand as manufactured by Pu Pong Lubricants Shanghai.

The dipstick has a range on it for a reason. The fetishists amongst the group will use a syringe to get 2.2mm above the second cross on the hatched bit after running the engine for 2 minutes 27 seconds on a Tuesday morning when the wind is from the SE, but honestly if its on the dipstick its fine.

Dealers often work on the theory that if the bike needs 3.1 litres they can just tip three one litre bottles in. They'll charge you for the 100 ml of course. Its why its better to go DIY, you'll pay more attention.

Andy

Edited by Andy m
  • Like 3
Grumpy old man

I suspect this too Murray and if they changed the dct filter at the first service there's probably the other 100cc

One other possibility is that they put the amount of oil in that the manual bike needs rather than the dct. This is 400cc less but the workshop manual is a bit strange in that it says after draining and filter change they take the same

I would not like to run a bike workshop. Staff are expensive customers think the hourly rate is extortionate everyone needs their bike fixing today and the bikes are now horrendously complicated not helped by ambiguous workshop manuals which incidentally would have been much easier to understand in colour. Fancy including a wiring diagram in black and white FGS

Mikr

If I'm paying good money I expect good service certainly not service that could put me in hospital. I also want to trust that the work has been done to a standard and don't feel I should have to check all the work myself.

michael

Oil level has always been an interesting subject. 

Not as angst inducing as the debate over which oil to use, but after all, this is the internet. I believe it was designed for such debate, yes?

I've had an unusual habit, please don't ask where i've picked it up, of dipping some oil into the filter prior to spinning it on. Cars, bikes, all the same to me. Put some oil in the filter, dab a finger to oil up the O ring and tighten up by hand.

Make a difference? Nope.

Change the amount of oil put into the engine? Nah.

Does the engine know the difference? Uh uh.

Just something I do.

Oh, and I agree with Andy m (while I sit with a cup of tea, taking a break from changing my fork oil….for which I have not yet found the filter….) the dipstick has a range on it for a reason. Engine manufacturers know no dire consequences come from the oil level at the bottom of the range, no more than at the top of the range.

What an engine really wants is sufficient oil pressure to lubricate, and enough volume to assist in cooling, lubricating and cleaning.

ONTWOWHEELS62

There is no oil consumption at all (2016 modell) .

I believe that it was not filled up with the proper amount of oil.

There is a difference between filling up with a change of filters (engine's and DCT's ) and without changing them of 200ml.

In the first service filters are changed according to the manual (1.000 Kms).

I have 5.300 Kms on the clock and every time i check oil level before a trip it' s always at the top level.

The Honda service manual says:

RECOMMENDED ENGINE OIL:
Honda "4-stroke motorcycle oil" or an equivalent
API classification: SG or higher (except oils
labeled as energy conserving on the circular API
service label)
Viscosity: SAE 10W-30
JASO T 903 standard: MA

No measurable oil consumption on mine.
  • Like 2
Guest sykospain

Poppet & others:- as above the recommended oil in the book, with a few extra bob spent on a high-grade British Petroleum product like this one...

Also,

might you spare ten minutes watching my oil-change video ?

post-3793-0-10085000-1470058797_thumb.jpg

Edited by sykospain
  • 4 weeks later...

My bike was serviced at 700 miles nd has now done another 2300 miles.  I was very surprised to find today that I needed to top up the oil by 300cc.  I measured it properly (3-5 minute warmup then checked it after another 3 minutes and the bike was vertical and on level ground and I followed the user manual guidelines).

I never had to top up either of my other NC's in between the 8000 mile services.

Has anyone else with a new 2016 bike found it using oil?

Mike

Although this is an older thread, are you sure you are measuring correctly? The oil dipstick has a mark in the middle of the flat portion, this mark is actually the maximum oil level mark. It is easy to think that the maximum oil level is where the flat portion ends, as that is what is normal on most other engines. I say this because at first I made the same mistake :-). So did the Honda dealer, that had overfilled it when I collected the bike :-).

If overfilled, it might use up the excess.

Edited by MGR1
Mike5100

Wow. No I hadn't spotted that. Will take a look tonight

Mike

Guest sykospain

Absolutely correct - the top of the flat part of the dipstick is NOT the max content point - it's the line midway along the flat bit that marks the max content level.  But why ???