Fuel gauge - when does it actually Flash? Down to that last bar...

PoppetM
Go to solution Solved by Mike5100,

PoppetM

Sorry - v stupid question. You all mention that it "flashes" - is that the last bar thing next to the E that flashes, or does it disappear and the E flashes?  

I am on that last bar and hoping that it will flash at me and I can fill up on the way home rather then just run dry? And also you mention the trip computer, at the moment it tells me my miles/litre, so does that start a countdown when the bar starts flashing? 

Sorry - it's just so I know what I am looking for - the manual didn't give much away, and I prefer the old school gauges, not these "bars". 

First two fill ups were quite close together, but am noticing I am getting more out of a tank now. Or maybe that's me learning how to fill it properly and not be so scared then when it shows the last solitary bar I go straight to the petrol station! 

Many thanks. 

• Solution
Mike5100

Whatever starts flashing, don't worry because you will still have about 50 miles left in the tank.

I think you have got a new 2016 model bike - like mine.  I must admit that I knew precisely what happened on the older model but less about what starts flashing when on my new bike.  I think it now goes right down to the last bar and when there is 3.5 litres left in the tank that last bar starts flashing.  The word 'Res' appears somewhere - I think it's under the miles/litre thing which reverts to 0.0 and now starts counting up to show how much of that 3.5 litres you have used.

One other thing worth knowing on the new bikes.  The system auto resets the A-tripmeter and the average miles per litre when you fill up.  But ONLY if you have gone on to reserve.  If you decide to fill up before all the flashing starts, then you have to manually reset the system by holding the right hand button for a couple of seconds.

Mike

• Like 1
PoppetM

Thanks Mike!  3.5 litres is quite a bit  :ahappy:

And thank you - trip computers never really been my thing - it's always something the husband fiddles with. So if I don't hit reserve on the way home I will hit that right hand button for a couple of seconds. 

Guest epsonix

just be careful with that reserve. i tried it 3 times, twice i managed to go above 3 liters since last selfreset of reserve, then decided to refill, but once my bike run out of fuel at 1.9l - luckily petrol station was just 200m away, maybe half of distance i did using bike inertion, and only last bit pushed it. i guess that on this case my reserve was reset when already i was deeply at reserve (maybe turns/braking/accelerating in the city moved fuel in the tank enough and cheated reserve detection so it self-reset)

RussB644

There have been lots of thread discussions here before about the tank and how far you might want to chance it, personally I don't like pushing bikes so by the time I get to 180 miles from the last fuel stop I'm thinking/looking for fuel when convenient. Depends how nervous you want to be  :frantics:

• Like 1
PoppetM

I chickened out... I reached the reserve as I passed Hanworth and I wasn't sure I would reach my petrol station at home (another 22 miles) So I nipped into Shell 1.2 miles after the reserve came up. But at least I have now seen what it does, so even I get another ten miles out of it I am happy.

To be honest I am very impressed I got almost four days commuting and a bit of a pootle at the weekend out of a tank. Beats filling up on a Monday morning to have to fill up again on a Tuesday night

V impressed with this bike!

• Like 1
RussB644

I was out with some others in Germany earlier in the year. On a particularly long trip and without thinking about an early fuel stop I ended up going for 20 odd miles on from my normal comfort zone with what felt like vapour in the fuel tank. I won't be doing that again  :no:

• Like 1
Tonyj

Had the bike showing 3ltr on count up and got 13ltr in on fill up . Done this and been very close to this on several occasions . Fuel gauge on mine must be good

• Like 1
embee

I chickened out... I reached the reserve as I passed Hanworth and I wasn't sure I would reach my petrol station at home (another 22 miles) So I nipped into Shell 1.2 miles after the reserve came up. But at least I have now seen what it does, so even I get another ten miles out of it I am happy.

Best thing is to fill up a few times as soon as you can after the flashing starts, and make a note of how much it takes and also reset the trip meter every time. I know mine is consistent at 10.5 lts. Then you will know 2 things, how many miles you get per litre and how many litres you have left. It's then easy to have a figure in you mind of how far you could potentially go and how far you feel comfortable going after it first flashes.

I know with yours being a 2016 it has extra knobs and whistles on the instruments, but a good old fashioned cross check is always a good idea.

I know I could potentially do almost 60mls, but I'm comfortable with 20.

PoppetM

I know with yours being a 2016 it has extra knobs and whistles on the instruments, but a good old fashioned cross check is always a good idea.

I know I could potentially do almost 60mls, but I'm comfortable with 20.

I am happier with this method then trusting the trip thing. Need to get in the habit of resetting it whether or not I hit the reserve.

Defender

On my 700 it usually chimes in somewhere about the 190/195 mile mark, occasionally it's just over 200 miles, but after that fuel will be needed sometime soon!

Guest MadStu

On my 700 it usually chimes in somewhere about the 190/195 mile mark, occasionally it's just over 200 miles, but after that fuel will be needed sometime soon!

It's the same on my NC700X. 200 miles and I fill up, still feeling safe that I'd have at least 10 miles in tank.

On this hire NC750S which I'm borrowing, it barely reached 200 miles before it ran out. I do a lot of inner city riding and filtering though, plus it's faster so I'm constantly riding it like I've nicked it, lol

PoppetM

It's the same on my NC700X. 200 miles and I fill up, still feeling safe that I'd have at least 10 miles in tank.

On this hire NC750S which I'm borrowing, it barely reached 200 miles before it ran out. I do a lot of inner city riding and filtering though, plus it's faster so I'm constantly riding it like I've nicked it, lol

I am finding if I take the B roads the petrol lasts...but if I get going on the M3... Well...oops...where's the petrol station ?!

Which do you prefer? 750S or 700x?

Mike5100

I think I may have an explanation as to why occasionally the reserve does not appear to be the full 3.5 litres and people get caught out.  Last night mine went on to reserve and the fuel thing went to 0.0 litres and started counting up, as did the trip miles.  However after about 12 or 13 miles I went up a long steepish hill and I noticed that the count up of the fuel had reverted back to 0.0 when it should have been at about 1 litre.  Strangely the trip meter did not revert to zero but still showed the 13 miles.  If the original switch to reserve was done correctly on level road at 3.5 litres, then it means now I would safely only have around 1.5 litres of useable fuel left in truth.  So only another 20 miles really.

Mike

I think I may have an explanation as to why occasionally the reserve does not appear to be the full 3.5 litres and people get caught out.  Last night mine went on to reserve and the fuel thing went to 0.0 litres and started counting up, as did the trip miles.  However after about 12 or 13 miles I went up a long steepish hill and I noticed that the count up of the fuel had reverted back to 0.0 when it should have been at about 1 litre.  Strangely the trip meter did not revert to zero but still showed the 13 miles.  If the original switch to reserve was done correctly on level road at 3.5 litres, then it means now I would safely only have around 1.5 litres of useable fuel left in truth.  So only another 20 miles really.

Mike

I have noticed the very same thing on mine.

Spindizzy

Think I posted this somewhere else as well, but on the NC the most accurate measure is the fuel used mode. You know if it was brimmed you have 14 litres. Its more accurate as it uses fuel flow as a measure through the injection system. The proof is that when I fill it back up I can only get in exactly what I used.

I don't use any other mode (reset mine to read in litres), even the fuel gauge gets largely ignored, except maybe as verification when the warning appears after using 11 litres.Just reset after filling up.

• Like 1
Guest MadStu

Which do you prefer? 750S or 700x?

I do definitely prefer the X variants, just purely down to wind protection though. I can feel the extra power of the 750 though, it's not that much, but just enough to make a difference when you're shooting up to 70mph (wink wink officer).

The S does make it easier for filtering through crap traffic probably because easier to touch the ground. But I also keep grounding the pegs out around corners which is annoying.

I've fitted different mirrors on my 700X so that it isn't so wide, so filtering on that for me is easier, and at motorway speeds I'm more protected from the elements. So I prefer my 700X even though a bit less powerful. The 750X they gave me before this S was lovely though. I'd definitely upgrade!

PoppetM

It does have bit of grunt when I want it to. I think I will miss the wind protection, I tuck down on the motorway or it feels like my helmet will tear off and can vouch for touching the ground...its just a comfort thing that you can plant your feet if you think it's going to go wrong. I can't paddle back and forth on it I.e parking, it is just too heavy. If they did it in a 300 version that I could reach the floor on I would be a very happy bunny. But it is a lovely bike.

• 5 years later...

Could anyone shed any light on this one please?

The reserve light came on last night after only 139 miles, I filled up and only put 10 litres in. So the reserve light came on too early. Will check again when the time comes to fill up. Not sure if it's worth taking it into the garage to get it looked at?

139 miles on 10l is aurfull!  no B aurfull !  OK mines newer but I go 185 on 11l

When was it last servised ??   Not just oil and filter!   Has it been standing unused?  Are the brakes dragging?

All fuel guages are not that great 

Fill to brim set trip when goes low fuel refill Note miles reset trip  and work miles per liter or per gallon  should see 16 miles/l 70MPG

Mr Toad

It's not rocket science.

When I had my NC I could get a comfortable 200 miles from a tankful you've hit 140 and the light has come on so about right. It's giving you 50-60 miles warning which is plenty in the civilised world but could be a problem if you're in the Australian outback.

So, light flashes..................fill it up. 

It doesn't matter if you run the tank dry or fill it when it's half full you won't save or use any more or less fuel but there's less pushing with the latter.

• Like 1
Empty_Ten

That sounds about right anyway. 

In the manual I believe it says the reserve light should start flashing when there is about 3 litres of petrol left.  So if you got 10 litres in, thats about right (based on 14l tank capacity).  Probably got less in if the bike wasnt upright/on a centre stand/ fuel wasnt brimmed etc.

My light typically comes on around the 145-155 mile mark.  I fill on the centre stand and brim the fuel several times and normally get close to 11 litres in each time (I normally refill within 5-10 miles of the light flashing).

Edited by Empty_Ten