Wiring loom - Adding Denali lights

Guest Dhoadley

Guest Dhoadley

Hi all - not been around for a while been mega busy but need to add some lights to the bike!

NC750X 2014 - The honda heated grips and 12v were added to the bike from the showroom so I am 99% sure it already has the accessory loom ready to go.

I have bought the Denali Light bar and some Denali single LED lamps are coming on Monday. I don't fancy hooking them up to the battery and would much prefer to splice the wires and add the connection block to 'plug and play' into the accessory loom. I see there are many posts about this on the forum but as most of them are old a lot of the links are now dead.

I wonder, could anybody please tell me would I be plugging the lights into a 2 pin or 3 pin? Also would some kind soul be able to provide me with a link to the connection block that I would need. Finally which colour wires correspond to what?

I would be eternally grateful for any help and will buy a pint if anybody is local to Watford :)

Thanks

DaveM59

Main Bike Loom -> Accessory Sub Loom          
Red/White: Unswitched power  -> not connected on sub harness
Voilet/Red: Switched Power  -> Brown on sub harness
Green: Earth ->  Green on Sub harness
Light Blue: Right Indicator ->  not connected on sub harness
Orange: Left Indicator -> not connected on sub harness
No connection ->Blue on sub harness (needs moving /rewiring if you want unswitched power)

So if you want to move the pin to get unswitched power you need to get at the socket on the loom where the sub-loom is plugged in and move the blue to meet the red/white otherwise not.

My initial thought is you need brown and green for ignition only power at whatever connector the sub harness has spare that suits the lighting kit.

Edited by DaveM59
Guest Dhoadley

Thanks for that Dave - so am I right in thinking this: - The lights have Pos and neg cables to hook up to the battery. If I attach bullet connectors or something similar to the light cables, then I would be hooking up the pos to the brown on sub harness (switched power) and the neg to the green (earth). Feel like I am doing a bit of bomb disposal! Thanks

michael

You might also consider using factory connections directly to the accessory loom.  These guys: 

http://electricalconnection.com

sell them and they're great to deal with too.  I found they had a unique perspective on a lot of makes and models - i was especially pleased with what they could do with my Gold Wing.

Look for "shop gear - connectors, OEM"

DaveM59

Yes basically but if you can get a matching connector to one of those on the sub loom and use that rather than cutting and using bullets it would look neater and retain the ability to remove them without having butchered the loom.

Off the top of my head I don't think the sub loom uses any non standard unobtainable plug halves that you won't find on ee-baay or a motor factors site like SMAK. You might need to search using a more wide ranging description along the lines of 'automotive 4 pin connectors' and avoid using Honda in the search as they won't be brand specific.

nabrU

Look for 'Motorcycle Mini-Latch - Wiring Connector Set (2.8mm) - 3 way (BLACK)' from Towzatronics on that auction site.

Bought them and fitted the other day. All worked well.

P.S. The 4-way that is in sub-harness as well -> 'Motorcycle Mini-Latch - Wiring Connector Set (2.8mm) - 4 way (BLACK)'

Edited by Radarman
Guest Dhoadley

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you all. I have the lights all wired up and they look superb. What I ended up doing was taking the side fairing off to get to the accessory loom. I couldn't be bothered messing around trying to find the right connector so in the end I just snipped the brown (Switch Live,) and extended the wire so it could be reached from the battery compartment. Put the side back on and fitted the lights a few days later. Got the lights hooked up to the + and - on the battery and the white wire from the lights relay plugged with a simple bullet connector to my accessory loom's switched live. Managed to bunch up all the wires and fit them all behind the battery compartment so its a nice neat job if I say so myself. Hate to think what a shop would have charged me for fitting! Ended up putting the on/off switch on the area just below my dash, couldn't really see anywhere better to put it.