LED Headlight

Guest Dhoadley

Guest Dhoadley

RIGHT. So now I have some beautiful LED 'fog' lights just either side of the headlight which look the biz. Now my headlight looks mega yellow. I have put in a whiter bulb but it still looks so yellow. I wonder, has anybody been brave enough to buy the LED headlight from the 2016 NC750x and try to fit it to an older 2014 NC750X? I have looked at the part online and it looks like the fitting bracket that the headlight fits into is exactly the same. I guess it would just be a matter of sightly different wiring. Be really neat if it would just plug and play! - That is the only real upgrade I see of the 2016 over my 2014 so it would be a nice update...

DaveM59

You can't always go off the diagrams as they may not amend the look of a part when they actually change the real thing especially if it isn't significantly different. Chances are though you are correct, and it's also likely there are no wiring changes, that the lighting unit and bulb will carry any modification required such as voltage drop resistors etc.

Go on, be a pioneer and try it!   :whistle:

Guest Dhoadley

I will keep an eye out on fleabay to see if any breakers have the 2016 headlight and give it a bash. If not, then I will stick it back online. Not that I expect to see any second hand ones online for some time yet!

RIGHT. So now I have some beautiful LED 'fog' lights just either side of the headlight which look the biz. Now my headlight looks mega yellow. I have put in a whiter bulb but it still looks so yellow. I wonder, has anybody been brave enough to buy the LED headlight from the 2016 NC750x and try to fit it to an older 2014 NC750X? I have looked at the part online and it looks like the fitting bracket that the headlight fits into is exactly the same. I guess it would just be a matter of sightly different wiring. Be really neat if it would just plug and play! - That is the only real upgrade I see of the 2016 over my 2014 so it would be a nice update...

have also a look at the electrical diagram, the led lights need a driver and I think for the 2016 the led headlight driver is near the trunk

Guest snapman

What type of bulb is in the pre 2016 lamp? H4? You could compromise and go for a H4 LED conversion kit, roughly £40 online. That would give the bike a similar colour temperature to the aux LEDs you've added.

What type of bulb is in the pre 2016 lamp? H4? You could compromise and go for a H4 LED conversion kit, roughly £40 online. That would give the bike a similar colour temperature to the aux LEDs you've added.

You could if you only want to match the colour.

LED bulbs don't have any useable light output, I've no beam pattern.

I know, I've tried several.

A proper HID kit with shielding round the burner is the only way to go apart from the 2016 LED unit.

I have this and it works...

http://vivol.co.uk/bi-xenon-motorbike-hid-conversion-kit-h4-6000k.html

Rev Ken

You could if you only want to match the colour.

LED bulbs don't have any useable light output, I've no beam pattern.

I know, I've tried several.

A proper HID kit with shielding round the burner is the only way to go apart from the 2016 LED unit.

I have this and it works...

http://vivol.co.uk/bi-xenon-motorbike-hid-conversion-kit-h4-6000k.html

5K is 'white', 6K starts to look blue and isn't as efficient. Personally I go for a shielded bulb, not a cheap Chinese version, as I want one that matches the beam pattern of a 'standard' bulb to avoid dazzling other vehicles and still being able to see in the dark!

DaveM59

Typically I go the exact opposite and fit yellow bulbs. Not standard creamy white but really yellow almost 'French' looking with blue/white sidelights.

Everyone uses bright white and blueish tint lights these days so yellow makes you stand out. They also are excellent at lighting the road surface in front of you especially in wet conditions when super white light reflects off giving almost no detail of the surface.

5K is 'white', 6K starts to look blue and isn't as efficient. Personally I go for a shielded bulb, not a cheap Chinese version, as I want one that matches the beam pattern of a 'standard' bulb to avoid dazzling other vehicles and still being able to see in the dark!

Ken, the kit in my link is a shielded burner. I wouldn't use a bare one because of just the reasons you state.

As you say, 6000k can be a bit blue, but this kit matches white LEDs almost perfectly so not as blue as some of the Chinese ones.

I'm very happy with it and the light output and beam pattern are spot on.