Bike dropped - bars bent?

Mister Paul

Mister Paul
Well when I say dropped I mean was pushed over. The bar end took the full force on a kerb before burying itself in a flower bed. The only other parts to touch the floor were the brake lever and the exhaust. The rubber grip on the throttle is a bit torn.

I thought that was it until I started riding it. I don't think it's me being heightened to it, but it doesn't seem to sit right. It feels like the right-hand bar is higher than the left, and the brake lever slightly further away. On full lock there's a different distance from bar to tank. I've been around it with a steel rule but it's hard to get a good reference to measure both sides. Would you have a look at the pics and see what you think?...

IMAG2109_zpset3rqmzj.jpg

IMAG2112_zpszu4wo0nq.jpg

IMAG2113_zps21ftg8cr.jpg

IMAG2116_zpsnww5tyx2.jpg

Mister Paul

Yeah, I definitely think it's bent.

So, I'm not one for fiddling with new bikes on things like this. Would a mechanic try and bend it back or just stick new bars on?

Good opportunity to get rid of the steel bars and replace them with aluminium bars.

Not a very big investment, but if you have no experience replace them at a workshop.

Hi the bars are the lightest bit and touched down with almost the full weight of the bike on them.

You can bend them back but could put stress on the attachment points if doing it on the bike. If removing them to put in a vice I would just buy a new pair and refit , but bend your old ones back as a spare set. One other thing to check I doubt you will find anything and I hope you don't, but get a torch and check the stem and yokes for any cracks, ripples or paint cracking. All indication of more damage also get a good plank of wood or pole and lay it on the floor in line with the front and back wheels making sure all is in line, just to make sure.

I am sure it will be fine but worth checking.

Guest machinman

The right does look high, run a piece of string between the screw in the bar end and the centre of the front axle where it exits the forks and compare both sides.

Mike5100

Mine was knocked over outside a cafe and I thought it was Ok but then got the same feeling as you.  Someone told me to feel the bends in the handlebars and sure enough the one nearest the clamps on the rights side was definitely more flattened than the other side.  Major point of weakness especially if you try and straighten them.  £90 for new original 

Mike

• Like 1
Guest bonekicker

We would never dream of just going and replacing the handle bars--as Graham above says--scaffolding bar over the handlebar and pull it back into shape--it will take very little effort and save money as well--it wont have done any more damage -- but have a really good look around--taking iy to garage and being vague about it--just mean a bigger invoice.  :thumbsup:

trisaki

Hi if anywhere near West Sussex pop it into my wshop near Arundel and I will check it over for you at no charge

• Like 1