Headlight beam adjustment

grilo67

Hi everyone!

I'm having trouble understanding the drawing on the ownwers handbook on how to ajdust the headlight beam on the nc750x. I've had a look aroiund and suspect I've founs the screw that adjusts it but there's no way of getting a srew driver to it and I dont feel confortabe dismantling the surrounding plastics.

The reason why I need to lower the beam is because when two people are on the bike, plus the top box and panniers, it's way too high!

Has anyone here had the same problem and managed to resolve it, without having to visit the dealer?

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks everyone!

You can use a Philips driver bit that you would normally use with a cordless tool. I have one about 100 mm long that works perfectly. Adjust it with the light on, so you can monitor the change, otherwise it's hard to see how much you change the angle.

Thanks for the replies! I have managed to locate the screw and turn it, with the headlight on, obviously. I've managed to lower the beam because it was too high when 2 up.

Problem has been solved. Thanks Bonekicker and Hati for your much appreciated help!

Guest dcordeiro

Sunday I'm driving off to my week long tour (with the wife) and by my calculations the bike will take around 200kg of weight on it (almost half of it is just me) Pre-load is going to be adjusted to the highest point. Currently it came from the dealer set half way.

Does the shock have a preload setting on it? I wasn't aware of this?

Yup. Check your owner's manual. Two rings locking up against one another set the spring tension (preload). Extra weight on board needs more springs tension, so you don't bottom out. From memory I think I applied 3 turns on the top of the factory settings for two up. There is no wrench in the tool kit for it, but you can use a screwdriver to tap the rings carefully. Or buy a wrench to suit.

Always learning! Thanks for the info. I'll have a look once I finish work! Must confess I didn't see nothing in the handbook!

Yep! I've had a look at the handbook and can't find anything on adjusting pre-load. But have had a look at the shock on the bike and there are 2 rings on a thread at the top. They seem to be half way along thread. I'm going to try and tap them gently with a crew driver and a hammer.

Edited by grilo67
Guest dcordeiro

In my case the rear shock is not of the two ring type. It's a 7 positions type ring adjuster that you go up or down using a special C type tool that came with the bike. Real easy to adjust.

Guest dcordeiro

Ended up going up to the 6th position (out of 7) and it seems to have hit the right spot for the extra weight. In the meantime, we did some night driving and I felt that the led headlight beam may be a bit too high. I suppose it must be due to the extra weight at the back, that raises the front.

I looked at the hand book for readjusting my beam height down a little. I cannot see any adjustment screw on the LED headlight looking up from below. The only thing I did see that looked like the illustration is obscured by a metal bar that holds the nose subframe.

I wouldn't have thought you have to undo this and remove it each time you adjust the lights beam height. Anyone done this on the LEF headlight please .

Hi Hati I have a goodly collection of screw driver bits which arrive every Christmas as my sister in law always buys the same thing for me each year dear of her. But for the life of me I cannot see where to adjust. I can see a round rubber donut shaped black object in the middle near the front looking up from below. But a black T Bar is obscuring any adjusting screw if one is fitted within the donut. The T bar is bolted to the fairing sub frame, but other than that I cannot see anything that looks like the illustration in the hand book 2016 750X LED lights. ?????

Hi Hati I have a goodly collection of screw driver bits which arrive every Christmas as my sister in law always buys the same thing for me each year dear of her. But for the life of me I cannot see where to adjust. I can see a round rubber donut shaped black object in the middle near the front looking up from below. But a black T Bar is obscuring any adjusting screw if one is fitted within the donut. The T bar is bolted to the fairing sub frame, but other than that I cannot see anything that looks like the illustration in the hand book 2016 750X LED lights. ?????

Ah, 2016 bike, I missed that. The screw/bolt you adjust at the headlight is actually in line with the bike's front to back axis. The head of it has a "crown gear" for lack of better word that the correct size Philips bit engages, so the bit and the screw lock together in a 90 degree angle. Bit like the diff of a car, the drive shaft and one of the axles. Looking up that hole is near impossible (on the Integra at least) due to it (the hole) being above the mudguard. The bolt is about 50 mm in so even with a mirror it's hard to see. A phone camera might work if it can focus that close.