Movement on rear caliper

Grumpy old man
Go to solution Solved by embee,

Grumpy old man

Hi All

My rear pads were sticking so I stripped pads out and gave everything a good clean and they are no longer sticking but I've noticed a little movement on the caliper when stabbing the brakes on when spinning the wheel, I can't help but think this is normal but I just thought I'd ask you guys and gals.

Cheers

Lloyd

Yes, matey, perfectly normal. Ride, enjoy, repeat..

• Like 2
Grumpy old man

Yes, matey, perfectly normal. Ride, enjoy, repeat..

Thanks I tend to worry too much

• Solution

Yes, it's the way they fit on the sliding pins, part of the design. In fact I use it as a quick way to check it's free on the pins, hold the bleed nipple and give it a wiggle (ooer matron).

• Like 2
stephenmcg

Calipers have 2 pads but only one side has Pistons. The other pad is sometimes called the slave pad. The slave pad cannot move itself so the calliper moves laterally when the brakes are applied so that a clamping effect is produced. Lateral movement is therefore necessary for the brake to work. For front brakes with double callipers, it is safest to change one side then the other. The pads are handed and it would be easy to mix them up. Smcg in glasgow

fred_jb

Calipers have 2 pads but only one side has Pistons. The other pad is sometimes called the slave pad. The slave pad cannot move itself so the calliper moves laterally when the brakes are applied so that a clamping effect is produced. Lateral movement is therefore necessary for the brake to work. For front brakes with double callipers, it is safest to change one side then the other. The pads are handed and it would be easy to mix them up. Smcg in glasgow

I think maybe the movement being commented on is not the lateral movement of the caliper, but the small amount of front to rear rotation that is present - something I also noticed when I had an NC, but have not seen on other bikes.

Fred

Grumpy old man

Thanks all for your answers. I knew the caliper was fine, I couldn't see anyway it couldn't be but over the last 5 years or so I've lost all confidence in my own knowledge and abilities, it took me three weeks to pluck up the confidence to strip the damn thing apart (then did it in less than 15 minutes).

Thanks again

Lloyd

PS- sorry about the best answer thing I just clicked Marked solved and that happened, all answers were equal and appreciated.

I notice when I press my rear brake pedal the rear caliper moves like a wiggle effect..kind of rocks from side to side...Is this normal? the pads are brand new...It just dont look right to me..

Yeah, quite normal, matey, see above for why.

• 2 months later...

????

Slight movement on calliper is normal, silencer moving also hmmm ?.

"Oh...the end can is connected to the.. mounting bracket, the mounting bracket is connected to the... frame lugs, the frame lugs connected to the..subframe.

Now hear de word of de lord. Dem bolts, dem bolts, dem,..loose bolts.

Oh your gonna be singing that all day now, it's a brain worm :) 

Guest sykospain

Ah, yes - The Delta Rhythm Boys - Decca Records 1941; then The Deep River Boys ft Harry Douglas with the Pete Brown Orch, HMV 1956, also the Mills Brothers and most famously heard in BBC TV's 'The Singing Detective' :- Fred Waring & His Pennsylvanians, Decca Records 1947.

Songwriter James Weldon Johnson's original lyric inspired by Ezekiel 37; 1 - 14.