Battery dilemma.

Dunnster

Dunnster

June this year, turned the ignition on, headlight on, pre start check etc, but didn't start the bike got talking for about 15 mins. Put helmet and gloves on pressed start..., nothing. Tried again wouldn't start. Flattend the battery. Helmet and gloves off connect battery charger, and start bike. Took it out for an hour's run. Priced up a new battery £70. I'll see how I get on for now. All's good until Monday, been sat since Friday. Wouldn't start, had to take the car. Remove the battery and see what it's like when I charge it up. In the meantime I order a new battery and buy it. Re charged and put back in bike and it's been fine since.

So, do I put in the new one or keep the old one? Keep the old one on trickle charge? Put the new one on trickle charge? Old one is 4 years old.

What does the forum think?

Yes what do we do with old batteries? Keep then to check if light bulbs are ok? Recycle at the council yard- bet they make you jump through hoops in some areas to drop them off.

I had a VERY flat battery a few years ago -left it on an intelligent charger ( not a dumb one) for  few weeks and it revived completely.

Bet our electrical guru has an answer!

Dunnster

Yes what do we do with old batteries? Keep then to check if light bulbs are ok? Recycle at the council yard- bet they make you jump through hoops in some areas to drop them off.

I had a VERY flat battery a few years ago -left it on an intelligent charger ( not a dumb one) for  few weeks and it revived completely.

Bet our electrical guru has an answer!

Thats what I'm wondering, if there's nothing wrong with it do I keep it on trickle charge and use the new one? Or keep the new one on trickle charge?

Or despose of the old one and use the new one. :-/

Your original battery is weak, Mike. It let you down twice. The third time (and there WILL be a third time!) it might not be so convenient. It's going to be on a garage forecourt when you're miles from home or in a hurry.

If the question was "Look guys, I have this problem battery but I really, really can't afford to replace it right now.." I might be persuaded otherwise. But it isn't that, is it? You've already faced the expense and now you're just being tight and trying to wring every last drop out of a four year old, worn out battery. Put it out of it's misery. :)

• Like 4
Slowboy

Thats what I'm wondering, if there's nothing wrong with it do I keep it on trickle charge and use the new one? Or keep the new one on trickle charge?

Or despose of the old one and use the new one. :-/

If you already bought a new one, might as well fit it. If you don't use for a long period, it it will fail before you fit it.

My original is still fine after four years, but the bike is used pretty regularly and doesn't sit on a trickle charger. (That'll have jinxed it!)

Council recycling yards will take the old one without a problem, at least ours does.

• Like 4

put the new one in, get rid of the old one, you'll forget about your old battery very quickly and the bike will start every time.

• Like 4
Dunnster

Thanks guys, I don't leave it on a trickle charge I use it 5 x a week commuting, just a bit miffed I've spent out when I might not have needed to. Ah well, old one off to the tip.

Dunnster

Well the good news is new battery is now in the bike.

I went to check the old battery after I'd ridden home from work. The bike had been stood for 3 hours, at home. Turned ignition on, connected my multimeter, 11.4v showing. Pressed the starter button...., nothing. Wouldn't start.

So, new battery in, all connected and followed this procedure,

http://www.electrosport.com/technical-resources/library/diagnosis/pdf/fault-finding-diagram.pdf

which fellow member Murray posted elsewhere in this forum, just to confirm that the bike's charging system is all working, and the problem was the battery.

• Like 1