Bike not starting?

roddy

Could anyone shed some light on this one please?

I went to start the bike up this morning all the lights came on but it did not fire up so I had to bum start it (I live on a hill fortunately). I have just recently had a new battery and plugs fitted. I left the bike for two days and it was colder this morning but I think it should have started still? Is there anything I can do?

Any advise much appreciated.

DaveM59

Did the engine turn over on the starter normally, or was it sluggish?

When you fitted the new battery did you condition it first or just fit it out of the box?

Have you checked that the bike is charging the battery?

If not check the 30A fuse on the starter solenoid as this is in the feed from the regulator.

A non starter that will jump/bump start easily can only be flat battery/old battery died, no regulator output/dud new battery, poor engine earth, weak or worn starter motor. If it won't start by any method there are a few other things to check but yours bump starts so they must be OK.

It was fitted at a dealers so not sure if it was conditioned or not? I will check if the battery is charging, thanks

At least I can go back to the dealer with some suggestions now

What was the reason that your dealer fitted a new battery in the first place?

Hello Trev hope all is well not heard from you for a while. The dealer thought as they were changing the plugs in the summer it would be a good idea to change the battery in readiness for the winter as I ride all year round? 

Check the battery and its connections. Also a check on the charging system is never a bad idea.

Also a "new battery", tell us nothing. It must be properly maintained and fully charged before installing it to the bike...

steelhorseuk

Hi Gareth

I had this problem a couple of years ago. Turned out that the battery terminal screws were not tightened properly.

You probably checked them already but worth a mention.

-Mark-

DaveM59

You shouldn't really need to go to your dealer and give him clues as to what needs doing...surely he knows his job better than that?

He also should know that new batteries need a full charge for a few hours before fitting, and not just fitting straight out of the box.

You can check the charge yourself easily with a volt meter across the battery with the engine running and rev it. If the voltage remains constant then it isn't charging. It should also not exceed 15.5V or it will 'boil' the battery and damage it pretty quickly.

Guest Mac750

After checking the charge rate as the above post with a meter and checking he tightened the battery connections up. Take it back to the dealer and ask him to charge the battery fully and then do a "drop test" with a batter tester. It is not unknown to have a duff battery out of the box. Just one other thing have you cleaned the side stand switch and ensured that is working as it should? I had a GPZ 750 that caught me out like that once. It had me scratching my head for a while.

Thanks for all the advice.Will get back when I find out what it is?