Clattery?

SteveThackery

SteveThackery

Colleagues,

I've noticed that the engine (on my new NC750X DCT, <1000 miles) sounds slightly clattery when it is warmed up.  It is mostly at low engine speeds, and can be modulated by the throttle.  On the overrun, there is no mechanical noise, but as the throttle is opened I can hear the clatter, and it is louder if the throttle is opened further.

My guess is that it's probably noise from the primary drive, caused by the uneven firing intervals, but it is just a guess.

Anyway, have any of you folks noticed something similar from yours?

Guest Mac750

You're engine is bedding in at a thousand miles, mine has done the same. When I bought it the engines top end sounded like the rustle my 750/4 use to make. (ignoring the exhaust and firing beat) like I was running up a new set of curtains on a sewing machine. Now on 1200 miles the engine has more of a tappet sound like you would hear on a car which is to be expected. My old dad use to say "a happy tappet is when it's right, never set your tappers tight " Mine isn't a DCT but the bedding in process is the same. Record the mileage and keep notes and if it becomes a concern take it back and ask to compare it to one with the same miles from your dealer and ask them to ride it, but I wouldn't be too concerned at the moment. It is not doing it on the over run so it's not a slack tensioner. But I would check the oil regularly whilst it's all bedding in.

Be aware than you can also hear a 'clack' from the fuel injectors, which will also go missing on the overrun. Whether you could/should hear them over the wind noise while wearing a helmet is open to debate.

By and large the NC isn't the quietest of engines. But so what? My Tiger 800 used to sound like two skeletons shagging furiously in a large metal box - but it went like stink! :D

Edited by Tex
  • Like 2
SteveThackery

Just to be clear, I don't mind the noise at all.   I just wondered if it was normal.

None of this is audible over the wind noise.  I'm really just talking about pootling around at low speeds in town with the visor up.  That's when I can hear it.

Edited by SteveThackery
Guest bonekicker

Steve unless you could hear a perfect engine noise to compare--just forget about it being noisy--ear plugs--I listen to music--dont let it worry you--just ride and enjoy yourself --worry about something else that really needs worrying about  :console:

Grumpy old man

When I'm on my bike I try not to worry about anything, that's why I go riding. When I start worrying about the bike ( which I do) I think 'is it worth it' then I think about be coming a Buddhist Monk, then I think about Mrs Grumpy. 

PS- Had a beer or two!

:D  :D

• Like 1

Be aware than you can also hear a 'clack' from the fuel injectors, which will also go missing on the overrun. Whether you could/should hear them over the wind noise while wearing a helmet is open to debate.

By and large the NC isn't the quietest of engines. But so what? My Tiger 800 used to sound like two skeletons shagging furiously in a large metal box - but it went like stink! :D

Hence the name "boner" per say
Spindizzy

I have created a troubleshooting guide

Clattering = its on

No Clatter =  its off  (check for petrol)

• Like 2
Guest SpinyBiker

Yeah, I was concerned too but have just come to terms with the fact that's what this bike does (doing a 2000 mile tour around the Scottish highlands put my mind at rest!). I find mine is most noisy pootling along at 30mph with the throttle only slightly open to maintain that speed.

Edited by SpinyBiker
fred_jb

I found that the NC sounds quite purposeful with a bit of throttle, but off the throttle does a fair imitation of a coffee grinder. I used to worry about this until I heard others doing the same in various online videos.

Guest Mac750

A friend had a Triumph Trophy 900 full tourer. Now that made a racket on tick over. He would start it up whilst he put his helmet on an other riders around him would wince. He rebuilt the engine once having decided to cure it.,The bores still had honing marks on them. Once it was back in the bike he fired it up and it was just the same. " vroom shackalackalacka". He owned it for10 years and it went like the clappers.

Tex: My Tiger 800 used to sound like two skeletons shagging furiously in a large metal box - but it went like stink!

Legend!!!!!

Mike.

Triumph 900 triples hate being left overnight on the side stand and then fired up and left to tick over whilst the rider gets ready. Apparently the highest side of the engine gets starved of oil and low down in the engine is a ball race which rumbles away and can eventually go walkabout. My friend found this out after ten years of listening to his engine doing a great impression of James Last playing " any old iron " on the spoons each morning. Shackalackalack.

SteveThackery

On that subject, my Sunday pootling bike is a 2014 Royal Enfield.  That has hydraulic lifters, but you wouldn't think it by listening - it makes more tappet clatter than the solid lifter system it replaces.  However, RE say it removes the need to ever adjust the valve clearances, which they reckon is a good thing.

On that subject, my Sunday pootling bike is a 2014 Royal Enfield.  That has hydraulic lifters, but you wouldn't think it by listening - it makes more tappet clatter than the solid lifter system it replaces.  However, RE say it removes the need to ever adjust the valve clearances, which they reckon is a good thing.

Absolute irony of that is the RE had the easiest valve adjustment of any bike on sale! I used to service one for a friend, like stepping back in time it was. :D