Non OEM Tyre Pressure

Guest TiberiusDRAIG

Guest TiberiusDRAIG

Hello all,

​I have a '16 NC750X, and I have ditched the OEM Dunlops that it came with and put some Bridgestone T30s on about 600 miles ago. I'm currently riding them with the pressures stated in the handbook (36/42psi), but something just feels off about them (the rear almost feels like it's too low). It occurs to me that the pressures in the manual are based on the OEM tyres, and was wondering if I should be using different pressures in the T30s? If so, is there some formula I can apply to calculate what the correct pressure should be, or am I just being paranoid and should just stick with the pressures in the handbook? I see a few of you guys and gals are riding T30s - do you use the handbook pressures?

​Thanks in advance!

Dunnster

I believe the industry standard tyre pressures are 36/42psi. I've got Michelin PR 4's fitted and that's what my tyre's are pumped upto.

trisaki

I run t30s I'm very critical on pressures mine is run on either 34 or 36 front and either 36 or 38 rear or 42 with passenger

• Like 1
Dunnster
outrunner

I agree with trisaki, I am on my second set of T30's and run them at 34 front and 36 rear.

Andy.

Guest bonekicker

Joe just do a test--put the pressure up a little at at time--test ride --see if it cures your problem--standards are just standards after all--break the rules every now and again  :ermm:

i never really bothered about exact pressures before I got the Nc but find the front end very heavy -despite new PR4s and having the wheels off and redone - maybe i should try the front a bit harder? Also had decent fork internals fitted.

So glad its not just me but after a  21" front wheel KTM ( for 11 years) I thought the Honda  was just too heavy - maybe stick a couple more PSI in and see what happens!

Guest TiberiusDRAIG

It turns out that the gauge on my pump is wildly off and I was actually running them low - pumped then up some more then used the release valve on a Draper gauge to get them to the handbook levels and she's riding lovely now. Lesson learned! Thanks for your replies!

Edited by TiberiusDRAIG

Excellent. I love a happy ending, me. :)

• 2 months later...

Halfrauds do a digital tyre pressure gauge. It had a nice kinked fitting at the end which makes it easy to fit on the right angled tyre valve and is fitted with auto shut off battery saver.  Very compact and fits into a tool roll. 

Edited by Mac750
Stupid spell checker