8000k service

grilo67

Hi everyone!

Yesterday popped into my local honda dealer in London to buy chain lube and asked how much would the 8000 mile service cost on a 750x dct and was quoted around £280 vat included which I find a a bit steep. As far as I know its only oil and filters change and a few checks.

Am definitely thinking of giving Kent M/Cs a call to book with them. Can someone tell me how much they were charged at Kent M/Cs for this service, please?

Thanks.

Edited by grilo67
Mike5100

Originally the valves needed doing at the first 8k service and the cost was about that but it's now gone out to 16k for the first valve check so either your dealer doesn't know this or they are trying to pull a fast one.

Mike

• Like 1

Originally the valves needed doing at the first 8k service and the cost was about that but it's now gone out to 16k for the first valve check so either your dealer doesn't know this or they are trying to pull a fast one.

Mike

Exactly! That's why I'm thinking of going elsewhere.Have heard good things about those guys at Kent M/Cs, even though it's a bit far away from me.

Hi Jorge,

Had my 8000m service done a couple of weeks ago at Crescent Honda near Southampton. They charged £159.00 inc vat which included the DCT oil filter which isn't necessarily part of the service but they said they change them anyway.

Good service, a bit of a journey for you but you could have a ride down and they will do the service while you wait, mine took about 90 mins but there is a fairly large showroom to look around while you're waiting.

• Like 1

Hi Jorge,

Had my 8000m service done a couple of weeks ago at Crescent Honda near Southampton. They charged £159.00 inc vat which included the DCT oil filter which isn't necessarily part of the service but they said they change them anyway.

Good service, a bit of a journey for you but you could have a ride down and they will do the service while you wait, mine took about 90 mins but there is a fairly large showroom to look around while you're waiting.

Yep! Thats another option. Thanks for sharing that. Much appreciated.

trisaki

I run my own wshop near Arundel I can stamp your book and do a thorough check over Inc filters etc could do for about £135 Inc can pm me if interested bit of an NC nut

• Like 2
dazznutts

Had Kent M/C do my 8k service last year on my manual 750s was 1.5 hours labour plus parts Oil - Filter and Washer came in at around £155 

and had my 16k service in August and that came in at £223 was cheaper because i had already replaced my air filter myself

• Like 1
Guest bonekicker

Jorge as you can clearly see--the dealer is trying to just rip you off--I know it may be less convenient going somewhere else -but treat it as a run out and you will still save a lot of money--and also not fell ripped off--not a good feeling at the best of times  :thumbsup:

Mikdent

Kent Motorcycles? Absolutely.

My 8k service was a few pennies over £150, and their reputation is second to none.

You won't be disappointed Jorge, I promise.

Plus they have a decent little cafe on site, by the time you've had a little mosey around the showroom and then had an XXXXXL gutbuster special your bike will be almost ready.

And.......Rocker66 virtually lives there so you'll have someone to have a natter with. :)

• Like 1
Rocker66

Exactly! That's why I'm thinking of going elsewhere.Have heard good things about those guys at Kent M/Cs, even though it's a bit far away from me.

It is a straight run down the A2 from London and the shop is actually on the A2

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Barham,+Canterbury+CT4+6SA/@51.1935466,1.1865892,211m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x47deb76d4f61aaa3:0xf5c9b9c640b1e6aa!8m2!3d51.1936246!4d1.1869438

• Like 1

Do t know if this goes on another thread sorry if it should . Where I live I have the one Honda dealership. So they have a captive audience. Just thinking out loud and out of interest , can some one take a machine to another garage and get the bike serviced using genuine Honda parts and get the book stamped like you can with a car ?

Do t know if this goes on another thread sorry if it should . Where I live I have the one Honda dealership. So they have a captive audience. Just thinking out loud and out of interest , can some one take a machine to another garage and get the bike serviced using genuine Honda parts and get the book stamped like you can with a car ?

I spoke with Honda uk some time ago and was told by them as long as you use a vat registered mechanic and only original parts are used and the service book stamped, the warranty will remain valid.

Jorge as you can clearly see--the dealer is trying to just rip you off--I know it may be less convenient going somewhere else -but treat it as a run out and you will still save a lot of money--and also not fell ripped off--not a good feeling at the best of times  :thumbsup:

This dealer where I bought the bike is good at selling but when it comes to servicing, it's a different ball game. I owned a Silverwing and when it came to the major service I got quoted £600 upwards. Needless to say I went elsewhere.

Edited by grilo67

Hmm thanks Grilo that's interesting.

If you've got ant doubts, contact them. They should tell you the same thing.

Hmm thanks Grilo that's interesting.

In fact I have the reply email from Honda UK:

Dear Mr. Grilo,

Thank you for your response.

It is not mandatory to service your bike with a Honda dealer. As long as the garage is a VAT garage and the bike was serviced with Honda genuine parts the warranty will stay intact.

Thank you for contacting Honda UK. If you need further help, please let us know.

Kind Regards,

Nadezhda  Stoeva

Honda Customer Service

Dear Mr. Grilo,

......As long as the garage is a VAT garage ............

Nadezhda  Stoeva

Honda Customer Service

Where did they dream that one up from? I doubt very much (but stand to be corrected) that within the EU laws that cover this stuff there's any requirement for VAT registration. A sole trader with a turnover below £83k or whatever it is these days can still do the job without the need to be VAT registered.

As far as I was aware the T&Cs go something like "a competent person".

Of course once we're out of the EU then consumer protection laws are up for grabs like everything else ..............................

.... sorry, politics again, must stop it .........

Edited by embee
  • Like 1

Where did they dream that one up from? I doubt very much (but stand to be corrected) that within the EU laws that cover this stuff there's any requirement for VAT registration. A sole trader with a turnover below £83k or whatever it is these days can still do the job without the need to be VAT registered.

As far as I was aware the T&Cs go something like "a competent person".

Of course once we're out of the EU then consumer protection laws are up for grabs like everything else ..............................

.... sorry, politics again, must stop it .........

I believe that motorcycles where except from the European block exemption agreement covering the automatic right to have you vehicle serviced outside a manufacturer franchise without affecting the warranty obviously this does not mean a manufacturer can not still agree to this just that they are not regulated to.

I wasn't aware motorcycles were not included in this legislation. Any links references?

Guest sykospain

Honda Montesa S.A. in Madrid confirmed to me the fact that my UK-purchased bike needn't be serviced at a Honda concessionaire.  This applies to all countries in which Honda Motorcycles or their authorised subs are trading. All that matters is that whoever does the work is registered ( and not necessarily for IVA ) as a bona-fide motorcycle workshop - rubber stamp, website, headed docs., member of the trade organisation, etc., and they MUST fit gen Honda parts, then the maker's warranty on the bike is unaffected.

Just make sure they stamp the book and give you a full invoice which includes the part numbers of the bits they added / replaced.

My guy José even lets me use one of his bike lifts if he's already busy with other bikes and so long as I buy the gen Honda parts from him so that he gets his bunce, he's quite happy to check over the jobs I've done and stamp my book.

As to tappet cllearance checks, it's now only needed at 16K miles, so your dealer is definitely not to be trusted with any servicing work if he quotes you 280 snoojits for an 8K service, which you can do yourself whilst watching Corrers if you have the slightest modicum of wrenching ability and tools, provided you can get a garage to stamp your book.  I change oils and filters every 6K Km. Always have, including cars.

Edited by sykospain
Guest sykospain

I won't forget how horrified I was earlier this year to be told by son Tim how much the Manchester Audi car workshop hourly labour rate is...

Hold your breath...

£144/hr.

We're in the wrong business.  Here my brill tecnico José's mano de obra charge is €25/hora

Edited by sykospain
Mike5100

I won't forget how horrified I was earlier this year to be told by son Tim how much the Manchester Audi car workshop hourly labour rate is...

Hold your breath...

£144/hr.

We're in the wrong business.  Here my brill tecnico José's mano de obra charge is €25/hora

It is horrifying but our solicitor who works from a converted terraced house in Gosforth and employs just two part time staff charges £200 per hour.  Our Accountant charges something similar but does have more staff and premises to look after.  I don't know what the hourly rate for my old Lexus is is but it's probably similar to the Audi one as these luxury marques push their dealers into spending huge amounts of money on their showroom.  We can hope that they also push them to spend tons of money on the best equipment for their workshop and training for their technicians.

Triumph have of course adopted the same approach and if you talk to Triumph dealers they are under constant pressure to move to 'Solus' status - ie where they don't sell anything else.  The Triumph dealer in Newcastle went bust possibly for this reason.  They were charging me £400 for a service for which their redundant chief technician now charges me £120 for.  But he comes to my house and he doesn;t employ a service manager etc (nor does he have to charge VAT).