Service schedule, dealer pulling a fast one?

CFB

Took the bike for its MOT today.

It passed BTW.

It was serviced at 8000 miles, as per the schedule.

Anyway, as it has done 4K since then I thought I would check if another is due, so looked at the service book.

The supplying dealer has marked the stamp pages in 4K service due increments.

Checking in the owners manual, the services should be done every 8k.

Is the dealer hoping that I was only going to look in the service book and have it done every 4K?

Well it ain't going to happen, I DIY.

From what I know it's every 8000 miles or every 12 months, which ever comes first.

Clive the only person you can really trust is yourself--just do whatever you think needs doing--keep control of your bike  :thumbsup:

not entirely true bk , get a cream cake or a bag of chips in front of me and theys a gonna :0)

• Like 1

No that's the northern way , chips first then the cake .

DaveM59

Quite a lot of owners are under the misconception that excessively frequent oil changes are beneficial but they aren't. Modern oils can easily last the manufacturers service intervals even allowing for a high mileage so that stuff about acid build up and carbon deposits are all things of the past with leaded fuel and mineral oils. Why most owners worry about wear and tear baffles me as they never keep anything long enough for it to be their problem anyway.

Frequently unscrewing drain plugs adds wear and tear, same with filters, the more times you do it the greater the odds you will cross thread, forget to nip it, or even strip the thread. Not to mention the extra cost of parts and especially labour if you don't DIY and the bike gains no benefit from the extra TLC, in fact it may even suffer more as you remove plastics more often, potentially damaging clips and fasteners.

You should do servicing of fluids and filters only when stipulated by the manual and everything else only as needed, when needed. This way the bike is kept in good order with minimal intrusion and more importantly running cost.

• Like 1
Rocker66

Pulling a fast one. Having said that, I know a lot of people who either have a dealer change oil and filter every 4K or do it themselves.

I'm one of them. Before anyone tells me I'm wasting my money I can only say to me it's worth it for peace of mind and anyway at the end of the day it's my money to spend on things I feel worth it

• Like 1

not entirely true bk , get a cream cake or a bag of chips in front of me and theys a gonna :0)

Tony just as long as-- you eat the cream cake first  :baby:

I'll stick with the cake.

Chips are fattening.

The oil and filter will be done at 16k with the other stuff as required

Rocker66

Quite a lot of owners are under the misconception that excessively frequent oil changes are beneficial but they aren't. Modern oils can easily last the manufacturers service intervals even allowing for a high mileage so that stuff about acid build up and carbon deposits are all things of the past with leaded fuel and mineral oils. Why most owners worry about wear and tear baffles me as they never keep anything long enough for it to be their problem anyway.

Frequently unscrewing drain plugs adds wear and tear, same with filters, the more times you do it the greater the odds you will cross thread, forget to nip it, or even strip the thread. Not to mention the extra cost of parts and especially labour if you don't DIY and the bike gains no benefit from the extra TLC, in fact it may even suffer more as you remove plastics more often, potentially damaging clips and fasteners.

You should do servicing of fluids and filters only when stipulated by the manual and everything else only as needed, when needed. This way the bike is kept in good order with minimal intrusion and more importantly running cost.

How people treat their bikes and when/how they service them is entirely up to them,. I no longer want to work on my bikes other than of course the usual checks as I have never been in to mechanics and had plenty of years when I had no choice but to do stuff myself. These days I just want to ride my bike. I get peace of mind from 4000 mile oil and filter changes by my dealer (whom I trust completely) who also gives the bike a quick check over whilst doing so. if I'm prepared to pay for this to be done that is entirely up to me and nothing to do with anyone else. If some people think that somehow that makes me less of a motorcyclist then that's up to them. i shall continue to treat MY bike in MY way

• Like 2
Spindizzy

For those of you wanting more frequent changes without any fear of stripping parts or anything else you can use one of these:

http://www.outdoorvalue.co.uk/products/99421-woodside-4l-oil-extractor-pump.html?gclid=CjwKEAjw7ZHABRCTr_DV4_ejvgQSJACr-YcwBTHPMqIt5dXSOlwxCZmtBTYUgzmQZf-1Kviqv_MATRoCH07w_wcB

I have used them before, if you only want an oil change 'DIY' between services its dead easy to use. Used one on my old boats internal diesel engine as getting to the sump bolt was a complete ar*e.