Help please, New rear indicator (winker) required...

Guest SomersetBoy

Guest SomersetBoy

Please can someone help me. I need to replace my rear near side indicator (winker) on my Honda NC 700 SAC (2012) however I can't for the love of money find the correct part. Honda don't do the part anymore but if they can find it on back order it will be something like £40. I found what was being sold on that auction site as the correct part but when it arrived it isn't the same. Apparently the fitment style has changed but no one can tell me how I can modify to make the new part fit. I have attached images of the old and new part as you can see the old part is in 3 bits with a screw that holds it together but the new one is one part with a long threaded bit at the end to attach to something that doesn't exist on my bike.

IMG_1738.jpg

Guest dentonlad

I got one off that auction site for my 2013X but it was like the second one in your picture and was a pile of old sh**e.

I got an OEM one from the dealer which was £49 incl VAT. Otherwise search for one from a breaker. Can't believe that Honda will have discontinued a part for a bike that is only 4 years old.

Guest SomersetBoy

Thanks, I will have to bit the bullet and visit Honda.

2nd question I have noticed that where the three cables from the rear light cluster join into the wiring loom the connector at the end of the loom that accepts all three wires is corroded and the pin that goes to the rear tail light has snapped off. Thankfully it still works but if i knock the wire it stops (poor connection due to it only just making contact). Is there anyway to buy one of these blocks/connectors and re do it as i am not going to pay £500+ for a new loom when it is only a very cheap connector/pin thats snapped. Any ideas?

Interestingly that connector seems to be something which Hondasan realised was too puny on the 700 and selected a bigger beefier version for the 750. I have to say I don't like the mini version used on the 700 having dallied with it when installing a reflector with integral LEDs (found on the auction site for a bargain price) on my Integra.

If you search on there you can find suitable 3 way connector sets which would replace the nasty mean little item on the 700.

Google comes up with some interesting sites when asked about Eastern Beaver..........................

Edited by embee
  • Like 2
Guest bonekicker

Dan you must be able to modify the indicator you got--- don't be paying £50 to a dealer for one--- I don't like using the crimp bullet connectors--I prefer to solder and heat shrink -- practise on some other cable first-- it is easy really--- don't buy too small electric soldering gun --let us know how you get on :thumbsup:

Guest SomersetBoy

I've ordered the new connectors to redo the ends myself which hopefully won't be too difficult. Unfortunately on one indicator the previous owner has let it all rust and has snapped the plastic housing slightly so think sadly some day I may have to bite the bullet and replace from Honda but for now I'm trying to bodge it together as best I can and hopefully to a good standard.

Guest sykospain

The winker lamps you foto'ed are the ones also fitted to the 2015 bike.  The difference in the two fotos is the rubber-and-metal anti-vibe fitting peculiar to the OEM Honda winker body fitment. The funny-shaped metal bracket-type thingie to be inserted into the rubber bit is an ingenious Japanese engineering solution to the problem of blown filaments caused by vibration.  Get the correct item with these fitment extras.

The wiring connectors in the fotos you posted are bog-standard 'Sumitomo' Japanese 2-way items, all available from several sources on the web, particularly Towzatronics in ( I believe) Nottingham. 

Only trouble is fitting the tiny, tiny male-pin or socket pins backwards into the arse-ends of the plastic housing of the new items.  There's a locating clip or a pair of such clips in the plastic housing that click(s) the connectors into place and can only be removed again, when you realise you pushed them in from the wrong end,  with the hour-long application of a good coat of looking and a small needle to press back the locking tags.  Plus afterwards if successfully connected and the relevant lamps work again, a large tumbler of whisky.

Before insertion of these pins, the relevant end-stripped cable must be clipped into the back of said pin(s) by overlapping the microscopically-sized retaining tags and crimping them firmly.  Again, essential aids are a magnifying glass and the addition of mucha paciencia.....

Or the special crimping tool, not the bog-standard one with the red, blue and white markings for regular spade, bullet, etc., connectors.  There are U-Toob vids showing how-to fit Sumitomo connectors, usually posted by incoherent, twangy-accented young Trump voters.

Best of luck and steady hands.

Edited by sykospain