NC750S Fuel Issues or bad fuel economy?

Guest japanfan

15 minutes ago, New said:

sorry, but I completely disagree.  this is completely the wrong bike to have if you are willing to fill it up with petrol without a care how much it uses.  Might as well have a fun bike.

Don't sit on the fence, tell us what you think! :)

Some folks find the NC plenty of 'fun' (and good luck to them). What we buy is dictated by our needs, desires and other factors (frequently 'budget'). We're all different in those things. My own 'perfect garage' would have a 'proper' scooter (Vespa 300 GTS?) a 'fun' bike (Triumph Thruxton R) and a 'tourer' (Triumph Trophy? BMW 1200RT?). But I can't run to it.

Boo hoo! Oh well, just have to put up with my rotten old Integra then :D which (it should be remembered) is nippy around town, enjoyable (enough) out of town and a useful little tourer. I didn't buy it for the economy, but it doesn't hurt.

• Like 1
  • Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tex

• PoppetM

• Reckless

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You high mpg guys - do you get flies splattered on the back of your helmets?

Fair enough. So, by the sound of it, we're both stuck with what we 'need' rather than what we 'want'?   'Other fine bikes'? Oh yes! Never been a better time to be a rider. Such a huge choice

I got 6 months when I flashed :0)

Guest technophebe

1 hour ago, japanfan said:

To be honest I am confused about the different Gallon measurements and which I should be using? If Honda state the bike should do 81mpg which are they using? US/Japanese/Imperial? :blink:

From Wikipedia: Fuel consumption 3.58 L/100 km (79 mpg-imp; 65.7 mpg-US) (claimed)

I actually can't find an answer online as to whether Japan uses US or Imperial gallons. However, I know that the revolution in Japan's automotive industry in the 50's was heavily influenced by US experts (notably Deming). The US market is also much bigger for Japanese manufacturers nowadays, so if I had to hazard a guess I'd say you'll be more likely to be seeing US than Imperial on your display, by default.

Edited by technophebe
1 hour ago, japanfan said:

Thanks for the replies everyone (and the welcomes!)

I spoke to the dealership. They suggest that I monitor it a bit more (and as Defender says, they say it could be tight as it's only done 2400 miles) The guy said that Honda recommends the best way of getting an accurate measure of fuel usage is to fill to the brim, ride 100 miles and then fill again and measure how much goes in back to the brim. From that you can work it out fairly accurately. So I'm going to do that a few times and take an average. Luckily I'm still in warranty for another year :) 

To be honest I am confused about the different Gallon measurements and which I should be using? If Honda state the bike should do 81mpg which are they using? US/Japanese/Imperial? :blink:

To answer the question about my journey/riding. Well it's about 12 miles into central London, so a bit of stop start at traffic lights, a couple of hills on the way in. Takes about 40 mins. And I've got the manual S, not the DCT.

Thanks!

Don't bother with the 100mile lark, just take a note of mileage at fill-up and how much you put in. After a handful of fills it'll be giving you a pretty good average figure.

I guess you'll be doing nearly all 2nd/3rd gear with stop/starts at traffic lights etc. That'll certainly hit the economy hard. Try a longer run out on open roads some time, you should easily get it into the 70-75mpg range, more if you ride with economy in mind, no hard accels and change up as early as you sensibly can. This would at least tell you whether there is really anything wrong with the bike (I suspect not to be honest).

The Honda figures quoted here in the UK are miles per UK gallon, on the fuelly site you can select what units you want to use, there is often confusion when folk quote US figures. On longer open road trips with economy in mind the NC range can readily return 80mpg, and mid 70's is easy to get.

• Like 1
34 minutes ago, Tex said:

Don't sit on the fence, tell us what you think! :)

Some folks find the NC plenty of 'fun' (and good luck to them). What we buy is dictated by our needs, desires and other factors (frequently 'budget'). We're all different in those things. My own 'perfect garage' would have a 'proper' scooter (Vespa 300 GTS?) a 'fun' bike (Triumph Thruxton R) and a 'tourer' (Triumph Trophy? BMW 1200RT?). But I can't run to it.

Boo hoo! Oh well, just have to put up with my rotten old Integra then :D which (it should be remembered) is nippy around town, enjoyable (enough) out of town and a useful little tourer. I didn't buy it for the economy, but it doesn't hurt.

I've put nearly 40K miles on my NC700X, so it is a bike that certainly has it's merits to me.  I would love a 2016 model to replace it for the extra benefits of the 750, the headlight, the suspension, the looks, the DCT, preferably in an S but there are more X's available.  But if it wasn't achieving 70+ mpg for me then it wouldn't get a look in against all the other fine bikes available out there.

12 minutes ago, New said:

But if it wasn't achieving 70+ mpg for me then it wouldn't get a look in against all the other fine bikes available out there.

Fair enough. So, by the sound of it, we're both stuck with what we 'need' rather than what we 'want'? :)

'Other fine bikes'? Oh yes! Never been a better time to be a rider. Such a huge choice of excellent machines (and so little money to buy them all.. :D ).

• Like 3
Guest bonekicker

New It is a fun bike--or do you really mean a more aggressive bike?? there is a lot of difference -- if you don't want to put any fuel in the bike--just leave it on the center stand in the garage--I just bet you get the best mpg than any one on this or any other forum.

Fun at 18 and fun at 68 is also completely different--if I wanted or even had the the chance of a more aggressive and younger woman--firstly I would not be able to afford her---nore ride her in the way she would expect--- I would have to start being polite and not swear at all---keep her in sight at all times in case she was flirting with someone else --so I stick with the old unaggressive--low cost--easy maintenance woman-- does that make  comparing bikes any easier??? :blink: 

Andy m

Japan fan mate, you need the follow numbers;

1. Full to the brinm.

2. Ride over 100 miles give or take and write down how many.

3. Go back to the same fuel pump if you can and fill to the brim. Note how many litres on the receipt.

4. Times the litre number by 0.219. The result in good old Imperial Gallons

5. Divide how far you went by how many gallons you bought

126 miles on 6.6 litres

6.6 x 0.219 is 1.45 gallons

126/1.45 is 87 mpg

The Japanese use litres and Imperial gallons, us and the froggies got there while the septics were still having the blue versus grey side thing.

As for not caring about fuel use and swapping for an exciting bike, I'm afraid I find all bikes boring. Roads and countryside and new people are interesting. Bikes are a tool to get there that lets you experience more of the inbetween bit. I want range (so either economy or a big tank) and performance I can use. Some unreliable race spec POS that will trigger every speed camera is pointless and riding it at 1/4 speed is really boring. We all have different reasons to choose a bike and don't IMHO fit neatly in the boxes MCN and Clarkson use.

Andy

• Like 2

With mine is something wrong as well I am doing (on average) 160 miles on 8.1 liters. If I will use above this is 90.1 mpg ???

I know this is new bike but my suggestion is check your chain tension and wheels if they are in line - mine where not when I bought my bike.

You high mpg guys - do you get flies splattered on the back of your helmets? :D

• Like 3
Mikdent

My 2014 X wasn't brilliant on mpg to start with, then I think the motor 'loosened up' and it got a lot better.

dazznutts

im getting 75-82 mpg depending on how i ride on my 2 year old 750s

I have a 2014 750s good old standard manual, on my previous commute to work clear roads going lots of traffic coming home I usually had 78-80 mpg, on a trip to squires cafe last week with a mix of A1 and country roads with a total of 58 miles round trip my mpg was 84.4 the bike has a little over 4000 miles showing and I'm no racing snake but the ride was around legal speeds, my need for speed has long passed but I have a Tuono should the" need" return.

to simplify the fuel consumption and prevent any us or imp confusion it may be better to switch display to litres, standard world wide, a simple calculation could then convert to mpg.

On 31/10/2016 at 17:54, suffolk58 said:

It also depends on how you ride the bike and the journeys you are making.

During the summer months, when I do a bit of motorcycle training and pleasure rides, I'm getting well over 70 mpg (sometimes almost 80) and that's in S mode.

However at the moment, I'm getting just over 60 mpg, as I'm making short commuter journeys in heavily congested traffic, where the engine doesn't reach proper working temperature.

In similar conditions, my previous bike gave around 55 mpg touring, but fell to around 40 mpg winter commuting. 

Hi, my experience with a manual is similar to this. Riding in heavily congested traffic I get low to mid-60's mpg. On a good fast run on A/B roads I get up to high 70's to 80 mpg.If I pootled more on A/B roads I would get a bit more.

I suggest you get out at the weekend on a long run on A/B roads with little traffic and measure your mpg there - you may well find it is fine (probably will get slightly better as the engine runs in). Very slow filtering is a killer for mpg even on this bike.

• Like 1
PoppetM

I have noticed my mpg has suddenly dropped, but I guess it does drop in the cold, if mpg improves in hot weather...?

• Like 1
12 hours ago, PoppetM said:

I have noticed my mpg has suddenly dropped, but I guess it does drop in the cold, if mpg improves in hot weather...?

Your guess is right. The cold air is more dense and it needs more fuel for a proper combust...

PoppetM

Ah well - still less fuel ups than the Vespa, so still less hanging about on Petrol Forecourts in sub zero temperatures :brr:

• Like 1
fred_jb
On 08/11/2016 at 09:22, ste7ios said:

Your guess is right. The cold air is more dense and it needs more fuel for a proper combust...

Yes - but the denser air and extra fuel produce more power, so you can back off the throttle a little and get the same economy as before, though less any cold related losses for extra warm up time, more friction from stickier oil and grease, etc.  On the other hand if you take full advantage of the extra power for faster acceleration you will see your mpg drop.   I know my diesel car feels a little more sprightly at night or in cold weather, though unfortunately for my fuel consumption I tend to take full advantage of it!  

Guest japanfan
On 11/8/2016 at 09:12, sykospain said:

We're all presuming that JapanFan is actually  i n  Japan ?

I wish! I love the place. Spent 6 months there but now back in London.

OK, so filled up today. I'd done 122 miles and I put in 9.97 litres back to the brim. If my calculations are correct that gives me roughly 56 mpg :( The dash is telling me average of 57.8 mpg so not far off. I don't think I should be getting this low, even in London traffic.

If I get a chance I'll go for a nice long ride somewhere outside of London to get a comparison. But to be fair, my route in doesn't usually get too congested and I have a nice run most of the time. I'm not heavy on the throttle. Just don't know.. :ermm:

Edited by japanfan
Grumpy old man

Mmmm! although I don't tend to ride in heavy traffic, if I can help it, I would be disappointed in that sort of mpg. There must be something not right.😞

• 4 years later...

Just bought a used 2016 750x DCT about 20,000 miles. Use to get to work in London traffic and generally run around town occasionally, the bike economic petrol consumption was a big part of choosing it! But I’m getting on average 52-53 mpg! Driving in D. I just plod around in general.

Very disappointing! Why is there such a difference in the reported mpg?