paint flaking on the 2016 end-can

Mike5100

Mike5100

I was going round the bike painting all susceptible bits with ACF50 when I spotted this.  The bike has done 7k miles and is about 7 months old.  Hasn't had any salt on it.

I had thought that the main part of the end can was black plastic but it looks like its painted stainless steel.  Going to look a mess at the end of the winter though.  I will rpeort it at the 8k service next month. (The pic is taken from the back of the bike and shows the mild steel hanger for the end can.  The paint flaking seems to be where the bracket is welded to the can

Mike

30776740826_d1ca111579_z.jpg

Mike5100

I'm surprised no-one has commented on this issue.  Am I the only one with paint flaking here.  It would be useful if other 2016 bike owners could let me know as the bike is going in for service soon and if it's a general problem I should let the service manager know.

Mike

Guest aldmannie

IMO the exhaust on the 2016 model looks inferior quality to the previous model.

My thoughts... if it was stainless it wouldn't be painted.

CB500 has the same issue, old one stainless new one painted.

From past experience, Honda warranty does not cover cosmetic blemishes, only time you'll get a warranty claim for corrosion is through impairment of function, even then they'll try as hard as they can to wriggle out on the basis of lack of proper washing etc.

Mike5100

I suspect you are right Graham - it's mild steel under that paint.  It is easily flaked off with a fingernail once it's started.  My previous swingarms were the same but this one at 7k miles seems OK so far.  The strange thing about the mild steel exposed previously on the swingarms was that it never rusted.

I think the problem with the end can is easily solved with some Sperex HT matt black paint as the can is easily removed and might just go in our oven if the wife is not looking.  I won't do it though until the dealer has had a look.  In the meantime here's another shot of the area near the bracket and also a shot of the same thing happening further towards where the pipe joins the can.

Mike

Mike30843457431_ffd74b5416_z.jpg

30843457881_6bf03ec82e_z.jpg

Swissheavy

Same happening with mine. Will likely 'upgrade' to an aftermarket one eventually. But I like the look and sound of the OEM one. 

Mike5100
11 minutes ago, Swissheavy said:

Same happening with mine. Will likely 'upgrade' to an aftermarket one eventually. But I like the look and sound of the OEM one. 

Yeah me too - I love the sound when the engine is pulling hard at low revs.  And fixing the standard one avoids problems with insurers.

Mike

• Like 1
Guest aldmannie

Regarding potential replacement cans...

It would be good to know if the original one from the previous model will fit the 2016 because I've seen lightly used ones on that auction site for around £50 in mint condition.