Battery

dannybegood

dannybegood

Ok, had the new "intelli" adventure grips fitted, to battery, as it appears by mechanic. Now battery went flattish on Sunday night at 0100 as shift finished. 

Came to start this morning after 2 days off, had to use battery store to get the bike started. Grips have been on 2 weeks used about 10 times various setting and have always been switched off.

Bike is 2012 with no change of battery as far as I know, but this is only second winter it has been out as it was summer only 2012 till 2015, 2000 miles in 3 years, I have put 7000 in 1.

So battery or grips draining when they should not be? Or something else? If battery any ideas of which 1 to get as the old " you get what you pay for" applies to this sort of thing.

Without some readings of the battery we can't say too much. Just some assumptions that can be very distant from the reality...

1st you've to check for any parasitic drain with an amp meter. (That's why most of my peripherals are connected to the accessory subharness...)

2nd it's possible that the battery can't be charged enough when the heat grips are used. Again you need some voltage readings before and after your ride

3rd probably the battery is aged (or/and neglected) enough and its performance is really low. Again... readings...

Riding at higher revs may really help.

Take a quick look at Yuasa's Technical Manual to see how to take those readings properly...

• Like 1

Stelios is right. My 'gut feeling ' is the battery is on it's way out, but it would pay you to confirm that with a meter before changing it.

I had to get a new battery last Xmas for my 2012. 

Cost a fortune in money and time and effort when bike failed to start away from home. Wish I had replaced earlier when i could of sourced cheaper online and fitted at my leisure.

Fully agree with everything said. It may be a drain, but since it's now turned cold, we are in the battery mortality season and it may well be on its way out. Actually, batteries tend to become terminally (sic) ill during the summer months but don't fall over until it turns cold.

I tend to replace batteries before they die, first sign of weakness and they're off to the recycling, I can't be doing with dodgy batteries and they don't heal. 4 years isn't particularly long but it depends very much on its history, if it has been allowed to go flat a few times in its early life it will have shortened the service life expectancy considerably.

I'd recommend using the genuine Yuasa YTZ range (as fitted standard), they have a high cold cranking amps rating which makes for better starting. Mine was the YTZ12S though it is physically the same size as the YTZ14S, just a slightly different trade off between capacity in Amp-hours and cold cranking amps CCA. Strangely Honda dealers are often as good a price as anywhere, around the £60 mark typically. For example item 221435361915 on the auction site (plucked at random). Having said that, last time I was in Halfrauds they had them at a very similar price, so take your pick. Others may well recommend different makes (Motobatt etc). If you do consider an alternative make, check the CCA is up round the 200+ Amps region.

£60 every 4 years isn't so bad in reality.

• Like 2
stephenmcg

I do not have any extras on bike 2013X.  Bike used every work day and I had to get a new battery under warranty within first year. No problems since. Smcg in glasgow