No power at instrument panel/indicator/horn fuse

Guest Rixy

Hi,

Bit stumped with this electrical fault. No instrument panel action or horn or indicators. All these are fed through 7.5amp fuse which is ok. Checked for power to fuse holder, nothing. Is there another fuse that supplies this fuse?  Engine starts, lights work. 

Thanks in advance for any assistance,

Rixy

fred_jb

I had this happen on my 750X.  It was definitely the fuse in my case.   Have you checked all the other fuses in case another has gone?

Hi Colin

As is my usual mantra, connectors, connectors, connectors.

I've had a bit of a look at the 700X wiring diagram, and those things are fed off fuse 7 (as you say 7.5A).

There are 2 pink/blue wires coming off fuse 7 at the fuse box, the other wire does just the rear brake light. Is that working? If yes then there's some problem between fuse 7 and the instrument/left switch block. If no then it looks like a supply issue to the fuse block (as your suggestion).

The pink/blue for the others goes to what is termed "Junction B" which is a 14 pin orange connector according to the diagram. That is a main "busbar" type connector for a load of pink/blues and black/whites. If you can find this I'd suggest separating it and checking for tarnishing of pins.

It looks like fuses 8,9,10 are supplied by a red/black, and then a loop wire also red/black comes off this to supply fuse 7. Is there supply to fuses 8,9,10 ? If as you say the engine runs it would suggest the FI is supplied at fuse 8 so is OK. Does the headlight work (fuse 10) ?

It could be a problem with the loop red/black wire supplying fuse 7.

NC700X%20fuse7_zpsgpsh8jeh.jpg

• Like 3

Thanks guys. I'm away with work just now but will check bike against advice on my return. 

I presume if the main fuse had gone I would have nothing working? 

Taking this bike to Morocco next year so quite happy to work through electrics before I get really stuck! 

Thanks once again and will update when sorted or come crying back for more advice. 

larryblag

The power of the forum.:hug: Brilliant Murray / Michael!

2 hours ago, Rixy said:

I presume if the main fuse had gone I would have nothing working? 

Taking this bike to Morocco next year so quite happy to work through electrics before I get really stuck! 

Yes, main 30A fuse should make everything dead.

A very good idea to check through. I had an issue while touring in the Pyrenees with the bike failing to start, Turned out to be tarnished pins in the connector feeding the kill switch (ECU thought switch was off, in effect). Check as many connectors as you can get to, look for tarnishing of pins, spray with contact cleaner and apply some sort of protector, either dielectric grease, ACF50, or use a contact cleaner with lube.

There's a main earthing point at the front left of the rider's seat area  which has a dozen or so wires onto a bolt. I suggest undoing this and cleaning/lubing as appropriate.

steelhorseuk

Great advice above so I cannot add much except to say, I had exactly the same problem whilst on my way to the ferry port last year.

The problem was also with the mini-fuse 7.5Amp. 

On investigation I find the fault to be the horn actuator (Switch inside the horn button) when I pressed the horn it blew the fuse!

You probably know better than I do but just to say, do not assume the new fuse is a good one either. get a meter on it and check the resistance or just for peace of mind pop another in....

Hope you sort it ...

-Mark-  

Edited by Smudger
  • Like 2

That's interesting info about the horn push, good post.

• Like 2
steelhorseuk
23 hours ago, embee said:

That's interesting info about the horn push, good post.

Thanks Murray, something else to eliminate from experience. Never been so grateful for a packet of spare fuses! LOL

-Mark-

Andy m

30888987442_be121b939e_n.jpg

Think I have seen all these used except the bullet! The MOD like the tin openers that come with their food, I guess someone counts the bullets back in at the end of the day.

Andy

Edited by Andy m
  • Like 3