Wrong engine oil used?

Guest gameboer

Guest gameboer

Hi guys,

This may sound like a dumb question but I'm slightly worried that I might have used a wrong type of oil. My 2015 750S has about 5.000kms, first oil change was done by the dealer at 1.000km, the previous owner didnt't really ride that much so the oil had been in there for +- 18 months so I thought it would be a good idea to change oil. A good friend of mine works for Total Lubricants, that means I can get oil REALLY cheap (€2.5/litre) so I got a box of 18 litre ELF MOTO 4 MAXI TECH 10W-30. Now I've changed my oil and I just realise that the oil label says 'Fuel Economy'. I know the honda manual says not to use 'Energy Conserving' oil. I'm not sure whether this has the same meaning? I went out for a quick ride and didn't really notice anything different, I'd say the clutch and shifts even feel slighty better now.

Oil used:

jFup87j.jpg

More oil information:

4 stroke motorcycle oil of SJ level

ELF MOTO4 MAXI TECH 10W-30 is based on leading-edge synthetic technology, for excellent resistance under all loads, irrespective of speed and temperature.Its specific formula meets HMEOC requirements (High Quality Motorcycle Engine Oil Conception).

This means that ELF MOTO4 MAXI TECH 10W-30 provides:- significant fuel savings and a reduction in CO2 emissions- better protection against wear and deposits at high temperatures- optimum and long-lasting friction control in wet-clutch conditions- long-lasting properties, even under very severe driving conditions, in addition to the general performance levels required by the JASO MA standard.

Specifications

API SJ/ JASO MA/

Edited by gameboer
Spindizzy

I would say its ok.TheJaso MA spec is for clutched bikes, Jaso MB has the extra modifiers so you can use it in scooters with CVT as they dont have a wet clutch.

I reckon you are fine. The efficiency part is probably just the fact its 10-30. 

Dunnster

HONDA RECOMMENDS

General engines Mineral based

Honda "4-stroke motorcycle oil"/ Pro Honda GN4 4-stroke oil  or an equivalent

API classification: SG or higher (except oils labelled as energy conserving on the circular API service label)

Viscosity: SAE I0W-30

JASO T903  Standard: MA

General engines Synthetic based

Honda "4-stroke motorcycle oil"/ Pro Honda HP4 4-stroke oil  or an equivalent

API classification: SG or higher (except oils labelled as energy conserving on the circular API service label)

Viscosity: SAE I0W-30

JASO T903  Standard: MA

Other viscosities as shown in this chart will be okay too. Sorry for the quality of the figure, it runs from top to bottom as;

20W50

20W40

10W40

10W30

i would think your ok reading this and reading the label on the bottle. 

Fred, that stuff is no good at all. Disaster will befall you shortly (don't call me 'Shortly'! :D  ).

To help you out I'll buy all you have left for €1 a litre. 

No? OK then. Ignore the above. The oil will be fine. Absolutely fine. :)

Some helpful info off Internet copied below:

JASO Oil Specifications

2T specifications

Japanese motorcycle manufacturers found the limits demanded by the API TC specifications too loose. Oils meeting the API TC standard still produced excessive smoke and could not prevent exhaust blocking. Therefore the Japanese Engine Oil Standards Implementation Panel (JASO) introduced the following specifications:

JASO FA

Original spec established regulating lubricity, detergency, initial torque, exhaust smoke and exhaust system blocking.

JASO FB

Increased lubricity, detergency, exhaust smoke and exhaust system blocking requirements over FA.

JASO FC

Lubricity and initial torque requirements same as FB, however far higher detergency, exhaust smoke and exhaust system blocking requirements over FB.

JASO FD

Same as FC with far higher detergency requirement.

Find out more about JASO's 2T specifications from their website.

4T specifications

Modern passenger car engine oils contain more and more friction modifiers. While this is the good thing for those segments (reduces wear and fuel consumption) it's bad for the motorcycles. At least for those motorcycles which use engine oil to lubricate their transmission and wet clutch. JASO introduced the MA and MB specification to distinguish between friction modified and non friction modified engine oils. Most four-stroke motorcycles with wet clutches need a JASO MA oil.

JASO MA

Japanese standard for special oil which can be used in 4-stroke motorcycle engine with one oil system for engine, gearbox and wet clutch system. Fluid is non-friction modified.

JASO MB

MB grade oils are classified as the lowest friction oils among motorcycle four-cycle oils. Not to be used where a JASO MA grade oil is required.

Find out more about theJASO MA and JASO MB specs.

Fine.

There are actually 3 categories, JASO MA, MA1 and MA2, depending on friction levels. Basically oil with any of these will be OK for the wet  clutch, though MA2 was introduced as a measure for specifying oils suitable for wet clutch bike engines with catalyst exhausts from 2006 according to http://www.jalos.or.jp/onfile/pdf/4T_EV1105.pdf

• Like 1
Guest phantom309

well my 2 penny's worth. friend had 750s an service time 10/30 was put in an they clutch didn't like it ,, honda even replaced the clutch thinking it was at fault.. it was the oil, as too thin.still play'd up.. replaced it with 10/40 like the older NC's an it's all good again .

trisaki

Strange considering  the handbook quotes both 10w30 and 10w40

The clutch feeling is related mostly with the additives they're using some oil makers, not viscosity...