DCT engine labouring

Guest David Wolfy

Guest David Wolfy

Hi,

Sorry if this has come up before. I've looked but can't find anything on the matter. I'm new to the Nc700x DCT and have a question about 'D' mode. 

It feels like the engine is labouring in D and changes up too quickly. I can be in 5th around 30mph. Is this normal, please? 

Many thanks, 

David 

Yes, David, perfectly normal. It feels as though it's labouring but it's actually designed to run like that. For a more 'normal' feel use 'S' mode. I never use 'D' at all and both the bike and I like it that way.. :)

Edit: Sorry, should have said - welcome to the forum!

Edited by Tex
  • Like 1
Guest bonekicker

David yes as Simon says--put your bike in S mode--there are 3 S modes --go on the 1 bar first--and its a more normal bike--move up and it gets exciting--but uses more fuel--but more fun--so its either save fuel or have fun --and welcome :thumbsup:

MikeBike

S for S shaped roads for the acceleration and engine braking,  D for relaxed bumbling around town or bypas / dual carriageway me, a bit likr the D shspe of a sign showing route through or around a town. But others dont like D in town. Find what suits your riding and mood. D's chug chug has actually grown on me in certain situations  almost down to Harley revs.

• Like 1
Mike5100

I was only thinking about this the other day - how useful D-mode is when the roads are slippery and greasy.  It's almost like an extra mode beyond what some bikes have as a 'rain-mode'.  If you are using it as a sort of snow-mode though, it does not of course limit the power or torque that could be applied by yanking the throttle open whereas I suppose that is done on true rain mode bikes.

Mike

Use D for "docile" , S for "sprightly"  - it can hardly be described as "sporty"

If new to biking then D might be enough to thrill you after the moped - but at least S gets you from A to B a bit faster

Next comes the louder exhaust - so its "sounds better" -another exuse is that the radio tuning, phone using car drivers might hear you approach.

After that if you really can't cope with being a civilised Honda rider you trade it for a more lunatic bike!

• Like 3

Yep normal and I am getting to like it , which is scaring me :0)

• Like 2
Derek_Mac
14 hours ago, bonekicker said:

David yes as Simon says--put your bike in S mode--there are 3 S modes --go on the 1 bar first--and its a more normal bike--move up and it gets exciting--but uses more fuel--but more fun--so its either save fuel or have fun --and welcome :thumbsup:

No can do, he's got a 700X with only ONE S mode. :)

Edit: But S mode ,even when you've only got one S mode is better. :devil:, hence my crap fuel economy. :D

Edited by Derek_Mac

Yes it labours awfully,I use the manual mode using the buttons on the left bar to change up and down when I'm in traffic and find it much better.

Persevere,I almost gave up and went back to a manual bike but 7 months in and I'm getting the hang of it.Welcome to the forum.:welcome:

Mike5100
21 hours ago, sullspots said:

Yes it labours awfully,I use the manual mode using the buttons on the left bar to change up and down when I'm in traffic and find it much better.

Persevere,I almost gave up and went back to a manual bike but 7 months in and I'm getting the hang of it.Welcome to the forum.:welcome:

I think I know what you mean when you say it labours, but perhaps we should be rethinking this condition.  Honda have made a bike that seemingly is ultra reliable and goes 8k between services.  Surely if 'labouring' was a bad thing for the engine they would not have allowed it to do it in D-mode?  Perhaps instead of saying it 'labours awfully' we should be saying it 'labours beautifully"  :D

Mike

Labour is indeed a beautiful thing and as I keep saying to the mother of my two daughters,it is a completely natural process and one that human physiology has evolved to pain-free perfection over millions of years........I then need my finely honed spacial awareness skills to dodge projectile ornaments!!

I'm no engineer and I wouldn't want to call out the Honda engineers who designed the (fantastic) DCT system.I really have made an effort to get my head round how the system operates but I've been hard wired to not lug an engine and will always ease off the gas when I sense that the throttle is open wider than it need be.So for me,accelerating in D mode becomes a game of throttling back and easing back on as if my big end bearings were made of cheese.

The mechanical sympathy that I have built up over my entire riding and driving career is very difficult to override and that's why I changed from mainly D mode riding on my commute to the full manual riding I favour now.

• Like 2
Derek_Mac

Lol, I don't know if your good lady will agree about labour being a beautiful thing!

I know mine wouldn't. :)

• Like 1
Can do biker

Well this is my first post and I thought I would add my thoughts here.  I've just returned to a motorbike for my commute after 20+ years in the wilderness.  I liked the idea of the DCT so bought one.  It's fantastic in traffic but I'm still getting used to the feeling that the engine labours a bit in D.  It almost feels as though the chain is slack/jumping (it isn't, I checked).  I find I'm frequently opting for S when overtaking and then switching back to D when I have no option but to chug along.  From what people have said on here I think I will try a few rides on manual and S1...

It's good to be back on two wheels...

• Like 4

Welcome aboard (D)Andy. 

Derek_Mac

You can always just use the - button under your left thumb if you're in D mode, I quite often use it when approaching road junctions etc.

• Like 1
Guest David Wolfy

Wow! Thanks very much for the advice and the welcomes. It's very much appreciated. I love the bike and glad to read that I haven't picked up a dodgy one. I'm experimenting between D, S & M at the moment and it really is horses for courses. 

Now to get used to the slippy seat... 

Thanks again. 

larryblag

D is ok.

But everyone should try a little S & M.

It's on my bucket list

• Like 2
Spindizzy

My one disappointment with the manual version is I can't experiment with S & M. 

• Like 3
29 minutes ago, Spindizzy said:

"Shock admission by a manual owner that his NC may not be perfect!" Read the full story in the next edition..

• Like 3
Slowboy
37 minutes ago, Spindizzy said:

Funny, 'cause I have a manual 700X and that's never been a problem....

can be a bit of a pain sometimes tho'

• Like 2
Mike5100
12 hours ago, sullspots said:

Labour is indeed a beautiful thing and as I keep saying to the mother of my two daughters,it is a completely natural process and one that human physiology has evolved to pain-free perfection over millions of years........I then need my finely honed spacial awareness skills to dodge projectile ornaments!!

I'm no engineer and I wouldn't want to call out the Honda engineers who designed the (fantastic) DCT system.I really have made an effort to get my head round how the system operates but I've been hard wired to not lug an engine and will always ease off the gas when I sense that the throttle is open wider than it need be.So for me,accelerating in D mode becomes a game of throttling back and easing back on as if my big end bearings were made of cheese.

The mechanical sympathy that I have built up over my entire riding and driving career is very difficult to override and that's why I changed from mainly D mode riding on my commute to the full manual riding I favour now.

I know what you mean John, but the difference is that if I were to have 'lugged' my Versys in top gear, it would have just carried on lugging especially if I were daft enough to open the throttle some more because the bike 'didn't seem to be pulling'  With the DCT in D-mode as soon as the system gets worried about overstressing it changes down a gear or two (if the throttle is open).  I know it still feels like it waits too long to do that, but my bet is that it's in reality just the right amount of delay to ensure economy AND long life.

Mike

• Like 1
Derek_Mac
11 hours ago, larryblag said:

D is ok.

But everyone should try a little S & M.

It's on my bucket list

Ooh, you are awful!   :whistle:

• Like 1

Whatever Mr Honda thinks, an engine that idles at 1200 revs, with a limit of 6500 revs, shouldn't have changed up into 5th gear at 2000 revs,

I can hear the big and little ends knocking and it brings a mechanical sympathetic tear to my eye.

I treat "D" like it doesn't exist.