Brace for impact

Guest Mac750

Many years ago I had a Yamaha RD 400, it was a time when men were men, manly men, bearded lumberjacks. 

"Chopping down trees, wearing high heels and hanging around in bars.  The Yamaha had a huge metal mudguard that liked to damage cars "

Not long into Yamaha ownership I changed the bars, fitted rear sets and a fibre glass racing seat, a set of "all speeds " and cone air filters, I junked the metal mudguards and fitted a fork brace.  Today most owners want all the bits I threw in the bin.  :)

Todays modern machines have plastic mudguards. But back when fork tubes allegedly flexed unless they had a heavy steel mudguard fitted, we bought fork braces for anything using a plastic mudguard. 

Even seen one on a super dream 250n.

I cannot say if they worked or not, but I notice no one fits them anymore. The reason I mention it is  I did see some for the NC 700 listed on that auction site. They looked well made (CNC turned) and come finished in blue, red, black or silver. At one time I would have fitted those in a flash. 

trisaki

Saw that as well  not a bad price was considering  one - we do have a sort of brace under/inside  the mudguard that needs derusting occasionally   

Modern forks are (despite appearances to the contrary) way more advanced than their 70's counterparts. The much larger diameter of the tubes gives a proportionate increase in stiffness (matron) and the large diameter wheel spindle does the same for the lower end. Modern tele forks although still 'less than wonderful' are as much improved over their earlier incarnations as the 'O' ring chain is over the primitive early versions.

larryblag

Saw a couple of CBXs recently at CMC's classic japanese weekend. Used to lust after one of those. Was alarmed at the tiny diameter of the forks :ermm:

fj_stuart

I while back I needed a fork seal for my Honda CBF250. I searched the garage and found a spare one. Then I wondered what previous bike it was for. Turns out it was the Kawasaki GPZ750 Turbo I had years ago. Both have 37mm forks!

I had a Silver non turbo GPZ 750 fitted with the fad of the time, Kawasaki Anti Dive Fork System. Once whilst having a spirited ride following some friends down a mountain road in Wales the front forks locked up solid. Due to my grabbing a hand full of front brake before tight bends then back on the throttle out of the bend and so on. It eventually tied the forks up in knots and I almost tried a spot of off roading on the GPZ.

When we looked to blank it off our Kawasaki dealer advised against it as the springs in each leg and the internals differed from one leg to the other.