Steering Issues

Guest Rob

Hi, i recently purchased a 2013 NC 700X after having one as a loan bike when my CBF600 was written off. I was soo impressed with it that i decided i had to get one. I loved the way it is very easy to ride and suits my commute to work (22 miles round trip daily)as well as the great fuel economy. My new bike has 15k miles and is in very good condition however the steering feels odd and i wanted to know if anybody had a similar issue. The steering feels like it pulls to one side when you turn - not like the loan bike i had enjoyed riding. There does not appear to be anything wrong with the appearance but the pull in the steering in either direction especially on roundabouts is disconcerting. Any advise would be much appreciated. 

Wishing you all a merry Christmas and safe riding in the New Year

Start with the easy things first , if it looks straight from the bars . Check the tyres . Profile might be shot seen some Pirelli scorpion with the side worn badly, it may be that simple. Or head races .

Steering head bearings but these give a notchy feel,  not generally a pull .

The reason I suggested tyre was I ran one under inflated for a while . It had a slow puncture . The profile was all over the place . Steering to pot and felt terrible. New tyres .sorted it and fixed rim. If it's got a centre stand , elevate the front wheel and turn the bars side to side and it should be smooth, if not get it checked.

New tyres (pair) and the job will be a good 'un.

I found the original Metz Z8 front tyre on mine did this at around 8k miles if I recall correctly. It wanted to drop into corners. I changed both for Michelin PR4 and it was fine.

Guest sykospain

Yes, as above, it's gotta be a tire issue.  You'd be wise also to do Tonyj's head-race issue check.  The bars should roll smoothly side-to-side throughout their full travel with the front wheel off the ground and the bike nice and level on its centre-stand.  Or if it lacks one,  the bike lifted up a natch with a car-type trolley-jack at the front.  Get someone else to hold it steady whilst you check.  You don't want your lovely 'new' toy falling over....

Xmas%20Card%20AL_zpsf7iilkb5.jpg

suffolk58

Plus 3/4 (whatever) with the above. My PR4's still have 3mm tread after 8,000 miles, but on worn road surfaces, the bike feels like a small boat in the wake of a big ship. Not dangerous, but gives an uneasy feeling, unless you're ready for it.

Thanks for the Christmas greeting Alan.

steelhorseuk

Tyres!!

Make sure you got the correct pressure.

Mines like turning a tanker when the front tyre is under inflated.

If its worn, get it changed before you drop the bike into a corner.

Make a point of checking with the dealer/previous owner if its been in an accident, even a minor accident like being dropped can damage the steering.

-Mark-

• Like 1

As above posts regarding tyres a new set of tyres will make one heck of a difference. And just to make sure all is well put the bike on the centre stand if fitted and get a straight long length of wood and place it length ways so it runs from front to back of the bike. Make sure it touches both tyres. Then look to see if the front wheel is sitting at a slight angle to the rear. It's a rudimentary way of checking for anything bent or out of alignment.  The with the bike on the stand and  the front wheel off the ground move the bars from left to right feel for notchyness as you do, some slight stiffness maybe felt in the 12 o clock position but not very stiff if you have that the head races need attention. Finally with the bikes front wheel still in the air kneel down by the side of the front wheel grab hold of the front wheel top and bottom and try to move the wheel away and towards you without moving the steering, get a friend to hold the bars steady as you do this. If you feel movement the wheel bearings are worn. My money is on the front tyre being worn or cupped but it's worth checking the above as well. 

Thank you all. That is really useful. It has a new tyre on the rear and i will be changing the front shortly based on the many comments received. Kind Regards one and all.

PoppetM

I second what Mac said if the tyres don't solve it. Mine was a wheel alignment issue....bloody terrifying. Hope you get it sorted, welcome and enjoy