NC750XDE Stem bearing inspection/regreasing

djsb

The requisite tools are on the way so I'm just wondering If I have to distmantle/remove as many components as the workshop manual describes in order to regrease these bearing.

The workshop manual states (Page 17-32 to 17-35)

1/ Remove the following

a/ Shroud/side cover (page 2-13) (my left hand side shroud side cover needs removing anyway as its damaged)-Whch involves removing 1/ The seat cowl(page 2-8) and the air duct(page 2-12) of which there are 2 two of each so which ones? This also involve removing the single seat and grab rail (both? and my bike is tied down using steel cables attached to the grab rail).

b/ Handlebar (Page 17-11 for the XD model). Needs taking off anyway as it needs replacing.

2/ Remove the ignition switch wire harness clamp

3/ Remove the headlight cover (page 2-26)

disconnect the combination meter 16p (gray) connector . Remove the socket bolts [2], brake hose guide[3], and combination meter/stay.

4/ Remove the cap.

5/ Remove the steering stem nut. This uses a 30mm metric socket on my NC750XDE (2014 model).

6/ Remove the fork legs(page 17-24)-Already removed in my case as I got my fork legs upgraded at Maxtons. This is why I'm servicing the bearings while I'm at it.

7/ Release the following.

Parking brake cable.

Left handlebar switch wire harness clamp.

Throttle cables.

Right handlebar switch wire harness clamp.

Brake hose.

8/ Remove the top bridge.

9/ Remove the bolt, front wheel speed sensor wire guide and brake hose joints

10/ Straighten the lock washer tabs.

11/ Remove the steering stem adjusting lock nut and lock washer.

12/ Loosen the steering stem adjusting nut using the special tool. (Available from GB motorcycle products). Hold the stering stem and remove the steering stem adjusting nut.

13/ Remove the following:

Dust seal.

Upper bearing inner race.

Upper steering head bearing.

Steering stem.

Lower steering head bearing.

This post is as much for my own reference as for the benefit for others. I'm just wondering if there are any sort cuts that can be safely taken to make the work more efficient. Has anyone else done this work on their NC750X? Thanks.

trisaki

While you  are in the vicinity  why not check or replace your air filter 

Yes it's on my list (not the one above as thats straight from the service manual). Thanks.

Edited by djsb
Guest machinman

When I did mine, I didn't disconnect anything from the handlebars or anything electrical. If you are careful there is enough "give" in the cables. I also left all plastics in situ ( apart from mudguard) and protected them with bubble wrap, old sheets etc.

Nothing stopping you dropping the forks as a pair, once caliper etc removed. 

Just remember bigger components/sub assemblies are more difficult to manage.

That answers another question, the stem nut is 30mm (I thought it was 32 from memory, but clearly not)

4 hours ago, embee said:

That answers another question, the stem nut is 30mm (I thought it was 32 from memory, but clearly not)

Well I tried a 32mm socket on it a few days ago and it didn't fit. Measured it with an adjustable spanner and a pair of digital vernier calipers and measured 30mm. So ordered ANOTHER socket off the excellent Halfords website (both sockets hand delivered to my door next day-Excellent service and I've told them so) and so I will know for certain in the morning. I've ordered a 31mm Facom socket off that auction site just in case. So now I have a full set (30,31 and 32mm).

Edited by djsb

Here is a blog detailing the replacement of the steering head bearings on an NC700X (in French)

http://vincentrobic.me/2015/12/03/remplacement-roulements-colonne-direction-honda-nc700x/

It will take a while for me to translate it using google. If the website address is translated directly it leaves out the photo's.

Just found out the link can be opened in google chrome and then translated in line with photo's and then saved as a pdf file. So I've done that for the main topic and the other 2 linked topics. Just got to get them printed out on the colour printer at work.

Edited by djsb
  • Like 1