NC700 Integra Brake pads

Guest James Russell

Guest James Russell

Good Afternoon All,

As some of you will of seen my posts before Christmas, my Integra was in the garage for a Cam Chain Tensioner replacement. Merry blooming Christmas to me.

The Bike came back with a couple of advisories. One of which was to replace the pads in the next couple of thousand miles. Firstle the bike has only done 9000 miles. Is that the norm for replacing pads?

Secondly I have seen some Brembo Pads For £35 on the net. Looking to get them and replace myself. Is there anything I need to keep in mind whist replacing? I guess the Hydraulic Fluid doesn't need to be drained?

Thanks for any help.

DaveM59

Brembo should be fine, just make sure they are the correct ones. Remove the pins extract the old pads, clean out any grot in the callipers, push back the pistons coppaslip the new pad backs, slide in the new pads, refit the pin. A pretty standard job, no special methods or tools required, just put everything back where it came from. 9000 isn't too bad, you might bet more on the next set as you don't know the riding style of previous owner. Some owners can get through pads a lot quicker than others, mine had new at 12,500. No need to touch brake fluid although to check the level afterwards wouldn't go amiss. If the level hasn't been topped up since the last pads were fitted the level should be back to normal once the pistons are pushed back again. If it has been topped up with low pads, it may be a touch over full afterwards, not a huge issue but you might want to just extract a little. Either bleed a bit off or just use a syringe or baster and suck a bit out. I rarely find the need to do this though.

You have the 700 Integra James, so may be different, but the 750 Integra pads have a groove in the edge of the pad material that you can see with them all fitted into the calliper. You may need a torch to see this groove, it is there to show ware. The service manual says to replace the pads when the groove is reached. If you doubt the shop, look for the grooves.

DaveM59

The groove may be present on OEM pads but possibly not on pattern parts. On my Integra the pad backing plates are gold coloured so it's relatively easy to spot how close to the disc they are getting.

The job only takes a few minutes so if you have the pads already, leave it until you can see for yourself that they are down to the last few mm's.then change as needed. You may not need to do both back and front at the same time.

Bear in mind there isn't a huge amount of meat on new pads, so it can be a bit misleading. They might look low but compared to new they aren't very worn at all. Take the advice above.

Having said that, since the front is doing all the work on just one set of pads they will obviously have a shorter life than a twin disc set up. I changed my fronts at around 13k I think, though there was still quite a bit left and would have gone to at least 15k. Rears are still fine at 20k.  It's going to depend a lot on your riding style and traffic conditions etc. If they are getting towards the borderline you may as well just fit new ones, what is the point of stretching them out for another few thou miles, you're saving just a few ££ in percentage of the pad life.

A lot of my mileage is long distance so sitting on motorways or open road without the need for braking.