foggy controls display

Guest gom

Sorry, I haven't the foggiest

• Like 1
Mike5100

It used to happen on my NC700X, but has not happened on my 750X

I don't think there is anything you can do about it but some one may say different.

Mike

You can, but it is fiddly. Remove the instrument from the bike (with the help of a workshop manual). Take it inside, make sure you have very low humidity and warm temperatures. Take the back cover off, leave it open for a bit, could even use a hair dryer on warm setting (not hot to keep your hand in the air stream) to get rid of the humidity inside the housing. Close it back up again. making sure the rubber seal is intact when you replace the cover and presto, your condensation will be gone for good.

Slowboy

My 700x does this, while Hati's solution would fix it, I live in South Devon, no chance of low humidity and warm temperatures down here.....

Brian

Inside your house can't possibly be that humid, especially if you have the heater cranked up. Careful use of a hairdryer also works wonders as long as you get someone to hold it for you while you re-assemble the bits.

MikeBike
10 hours ago, gom said:

Hi,

It was a bit rainy this weekend and I noticed that my controls display got a bit foggy inside.

Did any of you noticed something like this before? How can I prevent that?

http://imgur.com/a/xGJed

Yes, I've had it once and found that the rubber botton covers left/right A/B on the display were not seated properly all the way around. Also had problem with connector at rear of display and found taht was also not closed properly.

Since closing (and cleaining the contact at the rear with contact cleaner and working in/out) and checking periodically that they are pressed home no more problems.

Guest sykospain

Yep - lack of dampness-ingress prevention; a moisture sealing fault somewhere.  Used to happen on the big BMW boxer binnacle display unit, originally designed for light aircraft fitment where it doesn't rain inside a Cessna cockpit.

You could go to the immense time and trouble of pulling it to bits to check rubber gaskets, rubber buttons, etc., but maybe it'd be better to simply wait for warmer weather, when the mistiness will evaporate  !

MikeBike
1 hour ago, sykospain said:

You could go to the immense time and trouble of pulling it to bits to check rubber gaskets, rubber buttons, etc., but maybe it'd be better to simply wait for warmer weather, when the mistiness will evaporate  !

What a strange reaction! ONe of the great things about this forum is helping those who have problems based on the experience of others. The OP had the same problem as me, I posted that I had the same and it's an easy fix and the OP thanked me, but you come along and diss my advice and suggest just leaving it. Eh? What's up?

My advice was based on personal experience, doesn't take 'immense time and trouble' there are no bits to pull apart to check. It takes a minute or less to check, and with replacement units costing £550 a minute well spent I'd say, rather than leave the electronics exposed to the damp. We don't all live in sunny spain.

I've received lots of good avice from others on this forum who know more and am happy also to help others who experience the same problem as I've had and solved.

Reactions like yours to helpful advice will lead to people not bothering for fear of being shot down. Not what I'm used to on this forum.

Edited by MikeBike

just a thought, I have had similar problems before and have placed in the airing cupboard  for a few hours to dry out before re-sealing.