Protect the paint from panniers

hypnotic

Hi guys,

I will be buying soft panniers and have heard that they can damage the paint. If you have the experience with this, how did you overcome it? What did you use for protection?. Do you normally use the paint protection in the knee area on the side of the tank as well?

Thanks

Guest dentonlad

You can buy sticky backed stuff to protect the paint. It's known by various names. It can also be used to protect against stone chips. I've got some on my footpeg hangers to stop my boots rubbing the alloy finish away. 

suffolk58
2 hours ago, dentonlad said:

You can buy sticky backed stuff to protect the paint. It's known by various names. It can also be used to protect against stone chips. I've got some on my footpeg hangers to stop my boots rubbing the alloy finish away. 

I've heard it called "helicopter tape" before.

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, suffolk58 said:

I've heard it called "helicopter tape" before.

I've read something about it, will look into it a bit more.

I bought some Givi side rails to fit boxes on but my wife says the boxes dig into the back of her legs when riding pillion. So I'm using a set of soft through over panniers now. The Givi rails keep the panniers from rubbing the paint or going into the rear wheel area. Plus I can use cable ties on the bottom to stop them from moving when I release the straps to refill with fuel.

• 2 weeks later...
On 01/02/2017 at 23:51, Mac750 said:

I bought some Givi side rails to fit boxes on but my wife says the boxes dig into the back of her legs when riding pillion. So I'm using a set of soft through over panniers now. The Givi rails keep the panniers from rubbing the paint or going into the rear wheel area. Plus I can use cable ties on the bottom to stop them from moving when I release the straps to refill with fuel.

"Through" should be throw we love predictive text it makes life so interesting.