Squeak noise from rear wheel

Swissheavy

Swissheavy

Hi chaps

After buying a paddock stand, I adjusted the chain for first time today. Pleased with result. I noticed when rotating the rear wheel there seemed to be a slightly grundy noise as if there was grit somewhere and also, at a specific point on the wheel rotation, a squeak from somewhere in possibly in the centre of the wheel. Any ideas what this could be? Surely not hearings? Done about 7k miles. 

Grumpy old man

I had the same problem, i found the paddock stand was just catching the sprocket. :rofl:

Hope your problem is as simple.

trisaki

Either paddock stand catching  or chain too tight - find tightest  spot in the chain and adjust  it there 

• Like 1

Yes, make sure the chain has enough slack, too tight is much worse than too loose. As a rough guide, when the bike is on the sidestand you should just be able to touch the chain on the rubbing strip on the underside of the swingarm with light finger pressure.

Sometimes the brake pads can make a slight squeak if they just touch the disc at one point when you turn the wheel. Try wiggling the caliper side to side a bit to ease the pads back and turn the wheel again, see if it stops. It's worth occasionally cleaning the disc with brake cleaner (available in aerosol, places like Poundland etc sometimes have it cheap).

• Like 1
Swissheavy

Cheers for that chaps. Will report back this weekend

Also consider it may be the disc lightly touching the brake pads. Nothing to worry about there, it's normal.

It's a puppet,( said loudly ) :0)  no it's the chain . Mine made similar noises , see if it gets tight as you rotate the wheel.