Clunk in 1st and 2nd Gear

Spike

Hi,

Sorry, another query...

From stationary I am starting to get a loud clunk moving to 1st and 2nd gear from neutral? 

Should i take it back to dealer or is there anything I should do/be aware of?

I have a 2015 NC750S by the way.

All the bikes i had clunked into first. To somehow lessen it from statonary, try to syncronise the downward push of the gear lever with a tiny forward movement of the bike with your right foot. If you re vertically challenged like me add some momentum with your upper body while pushing with your right foot.

Clunking into second is also common although if you re careful enough you ll get a seamless gearchange from first. However, with an unfamiliar bike this may be difficult to achieve. And even when you re familiar, you ll get instances when you ll clunk your way into second gear.

• Like 1

It wasnt doing this until a couple of days ago though!

Is his normal?

DaveM59

The greater the ratio the more the clunk, even in a car with synchromesh a clutchless change from 1st to 2nd is clunky but to 3rd is better and to 4th is very smooth and to 5th smooth.

To be honest I prefer the slight clunk to the almost unnoticeable changes as you know what gear you're in where as with the slick change you sometimes need the dash display to tell what you are in.

Just now, Spike said:

It wasnt doing this until a couple of days ago though!

Is his normal?

Have you checked chain slack? Too much slack will result in a clunk... but if in doubt it's better to have 'over-slack' than 'under-slack'

• Like 2

But this is a really noticeable loud clunk from stationary into first or second?

Its just that it seems to have got much louder and noticeable!

larryblag
20 minutes ago, wendeg said:

Have you checked chain slack? Too much slack will result in a clunk... but if in doubt it's better to have 'over-slack' than 'under-slack'

A tight spot on your chain made worse by cold weather can surprisingly produce this symptom even though it would at first thought seem unconnected. Put the bike on the centre stand (if you have one) and check the tension at all points during a full rotation. If you only have the side stand (like me) get someone to help you pivot the bike so the rear wheel is off the ground and do the same.

• Like 1

Possibly clutch cable adjustment? There is a guide figure, but basically as long as there is a slight amount of free movement before you start to feel resistance at all times then it's fine. If you can see more that maybe a couple of mm of free movement where the cable goes into the clutch lever at the handlebar, equivalent to maybe 10mm or so at the ball end, than maybe that's too much. It just needs a slight amount of free play so that it is not loading the bearing and reducing clamping load on the clutch internals, the free play often varies slightly between hot/cold due to expansion. Too much free play means the clutch plates do not separate as much so drag more, hence more clunk.

Also check the oil level, overfull can make the clutch drag a lot. Don't fill to above the max mark. Warm engine, stop for a minute or so, bike upright, dipstick resting on threads not screwed in.

The type of oil can also affect it, but if it's something which has started happening apparently for no reason then that hasn't changed. Has the temperature got a lot colder?

Aaaaaaaaaaaaggggghhhhh...

Just been out on the bike and guess what?

No clunking noise!!

Dont know if I'm happy or annoyed at not knowing what caused it/causing it !!!

Edited by Spike
trisaki

Different  days different  temperatures  affect the clunky gear change  sometimes  freeing  the clutch before  putting  into  gear helps  also how heavy you  stamp  on the gear lever and how long you  hold the clutch  lever in affects the clunk  

steelhorseuk

Mine has always 'clunked' into first gear unless I have the chain 'spot on' adjusted along with the clutch 'spot on' adjusted.

It is quite alarming when it does it and makes you feel there is a mechanical problem but after some research it appears to be a normal Honda trait.

Sometimes, I start the bike in first gear (I have a manual) so I do not have to do the first clunk!

-Mark-  

Slowboy
18 hours ago, Spike said:

Aaaaaaaaaaaaggggghhhhh...

Just been out on the bike and guess what?

No clunking noise!!

Dont know if I'm happy or annoyed at not knowing what caused it/causing it !!!

Spike,

mine doesn't clunk when it's cold on initial drive off, it does when it's hot. My Kawasaki clunks when it's cold and not when it's hot. My C90 just Clunks in every gear! Nothing to worry about, most bikes clunk going into first at rest and into second through neutral.

suffolk58

It is a well known fact, that Harley Davidson employ a tiny, but very strong sprite, who lives in the gear box, and hammers the engine cases, every time an owner puts the bike into, or changes gear. :)

• Like 2

Hehehe... Thanks for the replies and input folks. It has helped to reassure me.

Grumpy old man
8 hours ago, suffolk58 said:

It is a well known fact, that Harley Davidson employ a tiny, but very strong sprite, who lives in the gear box, and hammers the engine cases, every time an owner puts the bike into, or changes gear. :)

Coming of the ferry in Amsterdam there was a group of Harleys all selected 1st at the same time, what a noise.

• Like 1

The Honda clunk has been mentioned on another thread on here. Honda manual gearboxes have always had a clunk especially selecting first and second. Other makers like BMW and HD have the same reputation but is more agricultural.

I have always done a more slower change and always use the clutch lever where some prefer a quicker clutch less change up the ratios.

As well as a more relaxed gear change I also pre weight the lever when shifting up by applying slight gentle pressure to the gear leaver just before changing gear.  I also blip the throttle when shifting down to match road speed and gearbox speed. 

This comes from once owning an old worn out MotoGuzzi years ago. If I rushed the gear change I got neutral. Selecting first got a loud clang and trying to change quickly resulted in all kinds of bangs, clunks, and whines as the gearbox was very rough. But the old girl taught me to respect her. Also during the cold weather the gearbox oil will be thicker and slower to warm up first thing in a morning. A longer ride will warm the gear oil up and get the chain warmer and the clutch cable moving easier.

I'd be worried if I didn't get a reassuring clunk when pressing the "D" and the "N" button. Lovely to hear when the engine has not been running for over six months. Can't wait to stop worrying and just start riding again. Roll on summer.

Guest bonekicker

Summer --warm days--out on the bike--lovely breeze in face---stop for a lovely cool ice cream---just sit listen to the birds singing -- daydream---------- Dont get all excited--it's a long ******* way off yet !!!!!! :poke:

Cold winter days - out on the bike - heated grips - balaclava - 2 pairs of socks - ladies tights (60 denier, of course!) under trousers - misted visor - stop for a steamin hot mug of coffee - listen to the sound of gritting lorries going by and being careful not to slide on the grit! True reality of the great british weather!!:blink:

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Sunny weather, warm breeze, four slow cars and caravans, a tractor and muck spreader , three Wallace Arnold coaches full of wombles and a series two Landerover belching diesel fumes. 

Ah a summer ride in the country.:drool:

Don't know about you but here in Somerset we've been having 10-15 degrees and mostly dry, Sunday I had a great ride over Exmoor to Lynmouth, it's not the time of year that matters in GB, if you wait till "summer" you waste half a year!

Guest machinman
23 hours ago, Rick said:

Don't know about you but here in Somerset we've been having 10-15 degrees and mostly dry, Sunday I had a great ride over Exmoor to Lynmouth, it's not the time of year that matters in GB, if you wait till "summer" you waste half a year!

Exmoor to Lynmouth, absolutely stunning.

Guest sykospain

Martin - you'll be pleased to note that BMW employs the same pixie as is hired by HD to sit inside the motor with a lump hammer, and swings it hard at the side of the engine casing whenever a Beemer rider tries to engage first in the firm's agricultural 'Getrag' gearbox.  So don't worry about whether your Honda clunks when engaging first - the pixie hasn't got a visa for entry into Japan....any that do are illegal immigrants.

Edited by sykospain