Dct gears

Guest Dledgy

Hi my dct is 10 mnths old some mornings it wont select d or s mode after starting from n,i have to rock it back and forward and then it will select d or s  any clues

Marvincon

Do you select neutral before switching off ? 🤓

If it's working after rocking it back and forth then it seems that something is stuck...

If there is no problem when the engine is hot then it may be the oil... (What's your oil? Viscosity?)

If it's not dependent on engine temp or parking time it may be a defective / worn part...

If you don't switch to neutral before you turn off the engine it must be the battery...

My guesswork ends here! :D

How is your battery? It may be tired enough not to move the selector motors after sitting around from one ride to the next. One of the reasons you want to select N before you switch the bike off.

The sidestand switch is a prime candidate. When down it is open, when up the switch is closed. If there is a bad contact etc the system will see it as though the stand is down.

NCsidestand switch.jpg

My bike will not go into gear immediately after starting, it needs a second or two; no problems thereafter.  I have always assumed this is because the oil needs to get flowing first.  Never had to rock it though and I always stop in neutral.......except when I forget.

3 hours ago, Rofbox said:

My bike will not go into gear immediately after starting, it needs a second or two; no problems thereafter.  I have always assumed this is because the oil needs to get flowing first.  Never had to rock it though and I always stop in neutral.......except when I forget.

I think that's a function of engine speed, James, until the idle speed drops to an 'acceptable' (for the DCT) level it won't allow gear selection - otherwise you'd be off down the high street like Barry Sheene.. :D

• Like 2
Rocker66
1 minute ago, Tex said:

otherwise you'd be off down the high street like Barry Sheene.. :D

You mean just behind an American on a Yellow and Black Yamaha :):)

Sorry couldn't resist

sandalfarm

You have lost me there

7 hours ago, Rofbox said:

That is normal, the box goes through a self test sequence first, gear selection becomes available when this test is complete.

I'm sure I remember reading that the test phase was shortened on the 2016 so you could select gears sooner after starting.

Mikdent
8 hours ago, embee said:

I'm sure I remember reading that the test phase was shortened on the 2016 so you could select gears sooner after starting.

Is a few seconds self check system too long then? :)  

34 minutes ago, Mikdent said:

LOL, must be. Been out on the bike today and I counted 3 seconds until the line disappeared. No time to waste, right?

I always start the bike before putting on my helmet and gloves. It's always ready to go before I am.. :D

• Like 1
suffolk58

There is plenty of time for the bike to sort itself out whilst we all do our essential pre-ride checks (P.O.W.D.E.R.). Which we all do before riding our bikes, right? :)

• Like 1
Andy m
4 minutes ago, suffolk58 said:

There is plenty of time for the bike to sort itself out whilst we all do our essential pre-ride checks (P.O.W.D.E.R.). Which we all do before riding our bikes, right? :)

Absolutely. If its powder snow or even other sorts I take the car.

Andy

• Like 1

My pre ride check is to pat my pockets with my mobile and money in , ride off then stop and do all my zips up etc . :0) 

I take the" karma "view as to if I'm going to make it , works for those Indians and it's also the fundamental part of the Indian advanced motorcyclist code.

• Like 3
4 hours ago, Mikdent said:

You would think not, but I've had a number of occasions like waiting to get on a ferry or at a temporary traffic halt when I've switched the engine off. The line moves, I start the engine and sit for what feels an age for the DCT to get ready while everyone behind me wonders what kind of numpty I am (answers on a postcard). If it can be speeded up a bit then why not?

Rocker66
On 17/02/2017 at 21:15, sandalfarm said:

You have lost me there

My post was a reference to Barry Sheene so often being second to King Kenney Roberts😊

Edited by Rocker66
  • Like 1
On 17/02/2017 at 21:15, sandalfarm said:

You have lost me there

Mr "King" Kenny Robberts, an American fellow of racing Yamaha fame and yellow and black speed graphics on his tank and racing leathers. Handy on both the flat track and racing track and was responsible for almost as many poor home done rattle can motorcycle re paints as the Dark side of the Moon album back in the 1970/80s. 

Holts Sunburst Yellow 

Holts Ford diamond white

Holts British Leyland Black. :drool:

(Ex Yamaha RD 400 C owner.)

The bike was painted dark blue but I soon changed it to "Kenny" colours as above.

Drop handle bars and Thomaselli rear sets.

Allspeeds expansion exhausts.

Stan Stephens reed block kit and up jetted carbs, standard air box with four 4mm holes drilled in it and "adjusted" air filter.

Plastic shortened front mud guard (yellow) with black fork brace.

Removed the rear metal mud guard and rear lights and fitted a  new back then genuine TZR racing rear seat hump with small enduro stop - tail light and very small number plate.

Shiny alloy wheels with black enameled spokes fitted with Dunlop TT100 tyres.

Front mudguard, tank and seat hump painted in yellow with black speed graphics and white pin stripe and two Yam tuning fork logo's.

It did a genuine 100mph from Red Post corner near Bude to Launceston whilst being chased by a GPx 600 and a CBX 550 and a GT 380.

Later siezed the left hand cylinder  whilst doing 90 mph on the A30.

Pulled in the clutch quickly but it still locked up for a couple of seconds resulting in a long black wavey line and a bent crank. Rebuilt it the following weekend on a Black and Decker workmate table and was back on the road.

Force of habit I still ride with one finger hovering over the clutch leaver even on a four stroke .

Happy days. 😁

Edited by Mac750
Added info.

The yellow 'speed block' paint scheme is still the 'right' one for a racing Yamaha! :)

Michael Rutter got us a second place in the Post Classic TT last August.

IMG_0053.JPG

• Like 3
Rocker66
25 minutes ago, Mac750 said:

Mr "King" Kenny Robberts, an American fellow of racing Yamaha fame and yellow and black speed graphics on his tank and racing leathers. Handy on both the flat track and racing track and was responsible for almost as many poor home done rattle can motorcycle re paints as the Dark side of the Moon album back in the 1970/80s. 

Holts Sunburst Yellow 

Holts Ford diamond white

Holts British Leyland Black. :drool:

(Ex Yamaha RD 400 C owner.)

The bike was painted dark blue but I soon changed it to "Kenny" colours as above.

Drop handle bars and Thomaselli rear sets.

Allspeeds expansion exhausts.

Stan Stephens reed block kit and up jetted carbs, standard air box with four 4mm holes drilled in it and "adjusted" air filter.

Plastic shortened front mud guard (yellow) with black fork brace.

Removed the rear metal mud guard and rear lights and fitted a  new back then genuine TZR racing rear seat hump with small enduro stop - tail light and very small number plate.

Shiny alloy wheels with black enameled spokes fitted with Dunlop TT100 tyres.

Front mudguard, tank and seat hump painted in yellow with black speed graphics and white pin stripe and two Yam tuning fork logo's.

It did a genuine 100mph from Red Post corner near Bude to Launceston whilst being chased by a GPx 600 and a CBX 550 and a GT 380.

Later siezed the left hand cylinder  whilst doing 90 mph on the A30.

Pulled in the clutch quickly but it still locked up for a couple of seconds resulting in a long black wavey line and a bent crank. Rebuilt it the following weekend on a Black and Decker workmate table and was back on the road.

Force of habit I still ride with one finger hovering over the clutch leaver even on a four stroke .

Happy days. 😁

Ah the simpler days of motorcycle enjoyment

lazlo woodbine

The time I almost got to ride with King Kenny.

I was in Montana with my brother in laws mother and we went to visits her friends the Andersons. When we arrived at the house I hopped out of the car and some bikes in the garage caught my eye. I looked in and saw a Ducati 1098 and an ST4. The tires on both had the appearance of hard riding. I went in to the house and asked about the bikes.  I told Kathryn that I was very impressed by the bikes and said I was a keen biker. She said they were owned by her husband George. She said “It’s a shame you didn’t arrive earlier you could have gone with him. He has just headed off with his buddy Kenny Roberts for a ride”-Cue Jaw dropping. I was invited back to visit but unfortunately have not been to Montana since.

• Like 3