Sliding pot in rear calliper

bat-kam

bat-kam

Hi

I am after a little bit of advice here. 

My rear brake appears to stick but after taking it appart i am not sure what to do next. 

I cleaned the slider pin on which the pads are hanging. I also cleaned and lubed the part on which the pads rest. 

The bolts with which the calliper is held have sufficient lubrication too. 

When the pads were off of the calliper i pushed the pot out by pressing the brake pedal and cleand the pot around. Then pushed it back in with almost finger strength. So I am not sure whether the seals needs to be changed or not. Maybe master cylinder is the problem?

what should I check / do next?

many thanks

It sounds as though the 'pot' (proper name is 'piston' BTW) is moving freely in the caliper and if the caliper is sliding freely on it's pins then all should be well. I suggest you put it all back together and test it.

Oh! And make sure you haven't inadvertently over filled the fluid reservoir. 

Guest machinman

I've had an instance with the brake pedal being tight on the shaft through corrosion, giving the same symptom as a sticky caliper.

Easy fix, you'll need some circlip pliers IIRC. remove brake pedal, grease shaft and refit.

bat-kam

I have cleaned the shaft, piston and any other moving part. I need to give it a good test again now. Just need my fingers to heal enough so I can put a glove ;)

thx