Welding plastic panels

Tad

I thought some of you may be interested in this YouTube video that I came across on welding plastic motorbike panels:

• Like 2

I've tried this on a plastic tab that was damaged on one of my panels. I used a temperature controlled iron and a 1.6mm chisel bit and started at 150 degrees C and turned up the temperature slowly until the plastic was soft enough to mould properly. Got a good result and the repair seems strong enough. I just used the panel I was going to throw away as something to practice on.

Guest Mac750

The Plastic panels on the fully enclosed PC 800 are held by tap and slot, these bikes are now getting old and many of the tabs snap off. Most glued tabs snap off again under stress and owners in the past resorted to drilling holes and using pull ties :ermm:. But a few years ago a new product came out . It comes in two compounds which you mix up, once mixed it takes a short while to harden, given you time to pour it into a mould or pour a blob onto the lug area that broke off. Once it is hard ( overnight ) it can be shaped and sanded with a small file or dremel. The body panel can then be put back into normal use.

I cannot remember the name of the kit but you can go on the PC800 Forum UK and a full write up and photos are in the hints and tips section .