NC 750X Battery Charge

Guest Arcadia

Guest Arcadia

Hello,

I need to charge up the battery on my NC 750X. Can I just disconnect it and proceed with charging? Is there any electronic setting that needs to be done once the battery is hooked up again.

Thank you,

Ensure that everything is turned 'off'. Disconnect the Negative (-) lead first. And when re-fitting the charged battery connect Positive (+) first. A smear of Vaseline (or similar) on the terminals is a good idea.

No need do do anything special, turn the ignition on (let it run through it's 'pre flight' sweep) and push the button. Hopefully you'll be rewarded with the familiar 'chug' of an NC.. :)

embee

You'll have to reset the time on the clock.

Depending on your charger, it isn't always necessary to remove/disconnect the battery. Modern "intelligent" chargers are safe to use while everything is still connected.

Reckless

It's almost my first job on any new bike I get, the fitting of an optimate lead to the battery, I never have the charger on constant but have it connected through a timer, I never really trust these intelligent chargers as I've known several get confused or carried away.

Guest Arcadia

Hi Guys,

I just had a look at my battery charger manual and it says that I have to disconnect the battery for charging.

As for having to adjust the clock time, that's fine. I was really worried about losing some kind of software setting that I'm not aware of.

Now I can go ahead and do the job.

Thank you all for your comments.

ste7ios

The best is to have the battery disconnected to allow the charger to apply the desulfation stage (i.e. higher voltages) or avoid any damage if the charger is not smart enough or defective.

It's always a good idea to know your charger. The usual boring RTFM, and personally I'm doing my measurements with a multimeter (that way I turned down Lidl's Ultimate Speed smart charger. Definitely it was overcharging the battery...).

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Arcadia said:

Hi Guys,

I just had a look at my battery charger manual and it says that I have to disconnect the battery for charging.

As for having to adjust the clock time, that's fine. I was really worried about losing some kind of software setting that I'm not aware of.

Now I can go ahead and do the job.

Thank you all for your comments.

Will disconnecting the battery force the ECU to 'remap' when the battery is then reconnected?

No, it's designed for things like flat batteries.

• Like 1
Guest Mac750

Optimate 3 are reliable from my experience, also the smart charger made under the trade name "Avon" as in the tyres not the face cream. 😀   

Optimate 3 :

I have used this with its pre connected link for three years with no problems, as my last bike required rear bodywork removal to remove the battery. The optimate 3 and 4 differ from the original Optimate in both function and internal design as well as charge rates, depending on its cycle and I have had no problems with it. Currently it is on the bike on monitoring mode .

I went to buy an all singing all dancing Mk7 Turbo Fandango battery charger, a big red box on wheels at £190 +vat  from a friend in the battery retail business, he asked why I needed an industrial charger.  I explained I wanted something robust ideally to charge 6 volt, 12 volt, lead, acid, batteries, plus at that time a 12, volt Gel battery and to monitor a set of four duel 12 volt HD batteries fitted to a RV in storage.

He recommended a blue house brick sized smart charger made by Avon at £39 instead. :blink:

I have now used the Avon for two years on all of the above and it has been excellent.  Now my needs have changed as the RV and the bike with the gel battery was sold and I just need to keep six normal 12volt lead acid batteries happy . The Avon charger has been a good bit of kit switching automatically to the voltage and type of battery it was connected too, as well as shutting off power once when I connected it up incorrectly in the dark Oops.

It also comes with two sets of fused bike / snow mobile leads like a posh version of the Optimate but is more useful for different types of batteries as mention above.  

It has even brought back a neglected battery enough to stick on a van going to auction .

The Avon is not flashy looking but a good bit of kit. 

Edited by Mac750