Tyre sealant

hypnotic

Slowboy

In simple terms, No and no. I have seen the damage these sealants can do to the inside of the rims through corrosion. Personally I carry a puncture repair kit instead, the twisted rubber "string" sort with a CO2 inflator.

Other opinions/options are available.

Brian

• Like 2
hypnotic
1 hour ago, slowboy said:

In simple terms, No and no. I have seen the damage these sealants can do to the inside of the rims through corrosion. Personally I carry a puncture repair kit instead, the twisted rubber "string" sort with a CO2 inflator.

Other opinions/options are available.

Brian

Were they water based, as the one I posted the link for apparently doesn't have chemicals in it?

http://bikeseal.co.uk/demos/

Look at the bottom of the above page

Edited by hypnotic

I Was  a great lover of sealed TILL I bought my nc ,  the wheels Do not like the sealed, I was shown the inside of my tyre and wheel ( would not hold pressure) it burned around where you blow the tyre up and other parts of the inside of the wheel ended up painting the inside,so yes it worked on my old bikes but not this one. So I carry a plug and go kit,...Ride Safe..

Slowboy
2 hours ago, hypnotic said:

Were they water based, as the one I posted the link for apparently doesn't have chemicals in it?

http://bikeseal.co.uk/demos/

Look at the bottom of the above page

That's a fine claim, nevertheless, there are chemicals in it, after all it's basically it's fibres in a carrier fluid that solidifies in the hole. How about you try it, and take some pictures after it's been in a year. The results might show a significant improvement, which might help others on here decide.

gonzo

Honda used to recommend ULTRA SEAL for bikes with tubeless tyres ,I used it on my st 1100 for 8 years touring europe i never had a problem. .Just tell the tyre fitter when you change tyres.It was supposed to originate from the space industry in the states.I think there is a dealer in budleigh salterton devon .  dont buy the cheep stuff from Halfords etc..

sandalfarm

No choice with marys mx5 no spare no space for one just a bottle of gunge and a pump, the do say keep the bottle to suck the stuff out when you get the puncture repaired, don't know how that works

embee

My bike had Ultraseal fitted from new by the first owner (I have the receipt in the paperwork).

The tyres began losing pressure and I didn't really like the feel of the half worn Z8s so I changed them at about 6k miles I think. The rims were a mess, half the paint off and crusty growth around the valve at the pocket. Won't have the stuff anywhere near my bikes, but YMMV. I carry the wiggly worm plugs and either CO2 capsules or a small compressor when touring.