First M.O.T.

roddy

Could anyone shed any light on valve clearances?

I cant believe I have had my NC for three years now and its due its first M.O.T. along with a oil and filter change and a general health check by my local Honda dealer. Its done 38,000 miles but I have never had the valves done as its quite expensive to do. Not sure if its really essential to get them done this time around or not? Would anyone know?

Thanks

Slowboy

15 minutes ago, roddy said:

Could anyone shed any light on valve clearances?

I cant believe I have had my NC for three years now and its due its first M.O.T. along with a oil and filter change and a general health check by my local Honda dealer. Its done 38,000 miles but I have never had the valves done as its quite expensive to do. Not sure if its really essential to get them done this time around or not? Would anyone know?

Thanks

Gareth,

it will definitely need doing, give me a call, this weekend I'm at home dog sitting and it only takes a couple of hours. I'll do them for you. I've been checking mine for the last two years, I have all the tools. I even make a mean coffee.

Brian

Edited by slowboy
  • Like 1
DaveM59

I don't think any owner on here has had wildly out of adjustment valve clearances when checked. Usually they go wide which is harmless from a damage point of view and will not make any noticeable difference in performance or economy.

Tight clearances can cause damage but as it's wear that effects them, opening up is more usual. Modern lead free hard valve seats don't recede like the old type so the valve position barely changes in the head, and slight wear happens on the cam lobes, rocker arms and valve tip so tending to open up the clearance.

It's only an expensive job because of the time it takes and labour cost, it isn't a difficult job to do yourself or let Brian look for you as 38,000 is a lot but I'd not bother at mileage less than around 36,000.

Thanks 

Brian I will give you a ring, very kind of you to help out. I don't have the bike this weekend as its in for its MOT will ring next week, 

Cheers gareth.

Slowboy
1 minute ago, roddy said:

Thanks 

Brian I will give you a ring, very kind of you to help out. I don't have the bike this weekend as its in for its MOT will ring next week, 

Cheers gareth.

Righty ho

Brian

trisaki

Did a customers  Nc700x  valve check at 8000 m every valve was tight - customer  says he thought  it ran fine before now he reckons it starts better and runs smoother   

• Like 1

What a lovely forum this is! Well done Brian, that's a very nice gesture (not that I would expect anything else!). :)

• Like 3