Novice needs advise

Guest Bri

Hi I need some good advice if possible.  My 2014 manual NC750X has started clunking more than usual and the bike has started to move forward when I select first gear, I'm not really mechanically minded and don't know we're to start looking to help with this issue.  Is it a clutch issues or slack chain, oil.  All comments would be greatly appreciated so I know where to start looking.  Thanks

Edited by Bri
trisaki

Lack of free play on clutch  cable dry rusty unloved drive chain either too tight or too loose  wrong grade of oil - needs oil change  could be one or all without  seeing  the bike hard to tell  possible  to have more information  ? ? 

• Like 1

Hello Brian, welcome to the forum. It sounds like 'clutch drag' (the plates not freeing correctly). It may be a simple matter of excessive slack on the cable or it may be more sinister, in which case someone competent will need to strip the clutch out and examine the plates. There have been cases of the steel plates warping. How old is the bike? Is it still under warranty?

Edit: Trisaki replied while I was typing. Quick on the draw that boy.. :)

Edited by Tex

Hi Tex, the bike is a 2014 model and ha just covered 8000 miles, I've only had the bike 4 months and got a 6 month warranty.  The bike has just started with thi problem today.  I think I need to take a bike mechanic course to get a better understanding of my bike and the things I need to do to keep it in tiptop shape.  The forum is great and I will be more than happy to make a donation because I'm going to need advice and help.  The joys of being a novice.

We were all novices once, Brian. Doing an evening class in bike maintenance would be a great idea if there's one being run near you.

In the meantime I suggest you pop into your dealer and let him take a look. It might be a really simple adjustment. Let us know how you get on, please.

Remember, there are no silly questions. And we're all keen to help fellow riders. :)

Rocker66

Hi Brian never be afraid to ask. As Tex said there are no silly questions. Having said that I can't guarantee you won't get some silly answers😊😊

• Like 1
embee

Welcome Brian

as the others say, consider the easiest (free things first. Most likely thing is simply the clutch cable adjustment. This is something you can (and should) do yourself.

Where the cable meets the handlebar lever there is an adjuster (14 below) and locknut (serrated round nut around the adjuster, 23 below). The lever must have some "free play" at all times, the free movement of the lever before you start to feel the resistance of the clutch springs. In simple terms, there should be just a few mm of free play as measured at the ball end of the lever, something like 5mm minimum or 10mm maximum is the right parish. If you have more than this the clutch doesn't get enough "lift" to completely separate the plates inside the engine and it will drag, making the gear selection notchy and making the bike creep forwards. If the free play disappears altogether the clutch will be partially disengaged and will slip, which causes loss of drive and overheating of the clutch with rapid wear, all bad news.

Make sure you have about the right amount of free play first. If necessary loosen the round locknut and turn the adjuster sleeve until it's right, then tighten the locknut again. Apply oil to the pivot for the lever and some oil in the adjuster won't hurt.

Have a look down at the engine end to make sure there's nothing catching on the cable or lever down there too.

If the cable gets worn or stiff, or gets a broken strand which binds, it can cause other issues, sometimes like you're experiencing or can be that it gets sticky and doesn't release all the way, but that's the next step. A new cable isn't a bank breaker if you need one, something like £15 for a genuine item.

https://www.bike-parts-honda.com/pieces-honda-detail-71520-71520-NC750XAE-2014-F_03-NC+750+X+ABS.html

F_03.jpg

• Like 2

Once again, Murray, your advice is a model of clarity. And, once again, I salute you for it! :)