Oil change, oil level worries

Guest SpinyBiker

Guest SpinyBiker

Ok. So did the full oil filters and oil change. That's both filters.

Followed the manual fully. Usually I'd load the oil filter with oil prior to fitting but didn't on this occasion. As i said I followed the manual. Put in 3.4litres of oil. Used a measuring jug for this.

Started the bike up and let it run for 5 minutes. Waited 3-4 minutes then checked oil level. Again as per manual. Bike off the side stand, in a level position on level ground. Not one sign of any oil on the dipstick. So waited another 5 mins checked several times still no sign of oil. Rab bike again, waited again checked again etc and repeated several times. Still no sign of oil.

So stuck another 200 ml of oil in. Repeated tests again and a slight glimpse of oil. Repeated cycle of checking and double checking. So in the end put another 150ml in. Repeated the cycle etc and oil level now towards the top mark. (And yes when I say top I mean the mark that's reflects the top oil level (which is midway up the flat part of the dipstick). Did several checks even got someone to hold the bike level while I checked the oil level.

Does that seem right to everyone. In effect put in 3.75 litres when manual says just 3.4 litres. This sort of thing gives me sleepless nights as don't want to damage bike by over filling.

Oh and one thing to mention I emptied the oil the night before so it actually drained for c24 hours before re-filling it.

It's a DCT 2015 S version.

What do you all think? Will probably do all the checks again and again before riding it.

Thanks

Guest bonekicker

Spiny good point--the engine would not normally be drained over night--it will make a small difference--so having to add the extra could explain the reason why---lets see what the experts say on this subject  :thumbsup:

This happens to me as well, I carefully measure the amount of oil as I pour it in and always have to add a another 1/4 litre or so. What I think happens to me is I use a measuring jug of about 1 litre capacity, which I have to fill up 3 times, each time I empty the jug I like to let it drain as much as possible then refill it but I think the surface tension of the jug means there is always a shortfall of a 100ml or so each time. When I am finished I look at the empty jug the next day and the amount of oil that drains back down the jug is considerable, anyway that's my theory. Like you I check it but always top it up a couple of times before I get a good reading.

I also think that in garages when they change oil they drain the sump for like 5 mins max so there is always a quantity of oil left in the engine so their volumes will be less than us fastidious owners who let the bike drain for a lot longer.

I have to agree, every bike I ever owned takes more oil than specified, especially if you let it drain for a long time.

I don't think garages warm the engines right up and only leave the drain plug out for a few minutes

As long as the level is correct and there aren't any leaks then all would seem to be OK

I changed oil on mine yesterday, and it took about 3.8l.

After about 15 minutes of draining, I tilted the bike sideways as much as I could, that helped to get more dirty old oil out.

• Like 1
Slowboy
6 hours ago, SpinyBiker said:

Ok. So did the full oil filters and oil change. That's both filters.

Followed the manual fully. Usually I'd load the oil filter with oil prior to fitting but didn't on this occasion. As i said I followed the manual. Put in 3.4litres of oil. Used a measuring jug for this.

Started the bike up and let it run for 5 minutes. Waited 3-4 minutes then checked oil level. Again as per manual. Bike off the side stand, in a level position on level ground. Not one sign of any oil on the dipstick. So waited another 5 mins checked several times still no sign of oil. Rab bike again, waited again checked again etc and repeated several times. Still no sign of oil.

So stuck another 200 ml of oil in. Repeated tests again and a slight glimpse of oil. Repeated cycle of checking and double checking. So in the end put another 150ml in. Repeated the cycle etc and oil level now towards the top mark. (And yes when I say top I mean the mark that's reflects the top oil level (which is midway up the flat part of the dipstick). Did several checks even got someone to hold the bike level while I checked the oil level.

Does that seem right to everyone. In effect put in 3.75 litres when manual says just 3.4 litres. This sort of thing gives me sleepless nights as don't want to damage bike by over filling.

Oh and one thing to mention I emptied the oil the night before so it actually drained for c24 hours before re-filling it.

It's a DCT 2015 S version.

What do you all think? Will probably do all the checks again and again before riding it.

Thanks

That's absolutely fine, once you've started up for the first time after filling,  the engine pumps the oil round, fills the filter and the level drops. Just top it up to the normal level after it's been switched off for five minutes and Bob's you second cousin twice removed. All perfectly normal, nothing to worry about and no harm done. Simples.

Brian

• Like 1

Same experience I've had and nothing to worry about Spiny.....

embee

Can't say I ever measure the amount of oil added, just work to the dipstick marks. The only time I take any note of quantities is to decide if I have enough oil in the can, or roughly when to stop adding and start checking.

If it's OK on the dipstick it'll be fine.

You are right to be sure you don't overfill, so keep up the good work. :thumbsup:

Edited by embee
Andy m

I got less in, but perfectly normal. Did you spot the thread "Andy M services notes" or whatever I called it? There are pictures. I did mine on a paddock stand, which I thought tipped it forward, but maybe not.

Andy

• 1 month later...
Bart Stilgo

Had a similar experience with a fairly new DCT a month ago.  Bought a 2016 X DCT with only 360 miles on the clock and asked the garage to carry out the first service prior to pick up and 150 mile ride home.  At the garage put the bike on the centre stand and dipped the oil and no oil on the stick.  Spoke with the garage owner and he topped it up with about 150ml and then checked the level on the dip stick again, all seemed fine.  Rode the bike home and parked up on centre stand and checked after 5 mins and again no oil on the stick.  Got worried at this point so used a cable tie to find out how far down the oil was and found it to be 1" below the min setting!.  Added half a litre of oil, ran it, waited 5 mins and everything was ok.  Checked since and all is good.  I think in this case the garage (not Honda franchise) may have put in the non DCT amount of oil.

Guest sykospain

The handbook-stipulated 3.4 Liters of oil when a new DCT clutch oil filter is installed, together with a new engine oil filter, is based on making sure the system is not over-filled.

My very helpful and informative  Honda UK contact says basically what's been noted in the above posts - i.e. a bit more than 3.4L is needed to get to the correct dipstick mark in a warmed motor.

He says this is the recommended complete oil- and filter(s)-change procedure:-

Drain the thoroughly warmed bike of all the old oil and let it stand for 10 mins with the drip tray left underneath.

Fit the new filters, with the added tip he gave me of filling the new engine-oil filter with as much new oil as you can handle, also smearing the rubber ring with oil after checking that the 'old' rubber ring isn't still stuck up inside the oil-filter housing.

Then refit the drain plug with its new crush washer, fill up with 3.4 liters of the recommended oil, start the bike and immediately watch carefully that the oil-light in the dash goes OUT.

If it does, warm the bike again by riding a few times round the block, then check the oil level once more,  without screwing the dipstick into the threads, and simply top up a little-at-a-time with the same recommended new oil until the level is shown at the correct middle point on the Dipstick, Boss Hog, 

My wife's Honda dealer has a different approach: after the 1st annual service (last Wednesday) the oil level is at the top of the flat part of the dipstick; 3.6 l on the service bill. I hope it will not hurt the bike.

Guest sykospain

I think no danger there, GerJ - but if I were you and you can cadge the turkey-baster from Her Indoors, I'd suck out some oil to the correct lower level.  But don't forget to thoroughly wash the baster afterwards - or your 2017 Christmas Dinner will taste funny.

Thanks for your kind & excellent advice, Alan, but we have no turkey baster. I know, because I do most of the cooking in our household and we never eat turkey. :D  But I will see whether I still have a large syringe lying around with some aquarium tube.

Andy m

The Hurley-Pugh dealer did the same. Looks to have dumped about 3 litres in a 2.6 litre dry fill. Drained out 2.4. Put 2.0 in and find myself looking at a sight glass full of oil. Ran the engine and it dropped to a fraction over the top line. On these the fish tank tube won't go in, so you end up with a drain plug out. Use a disposable foil pie dish that's had a go in the dishwasher to collect it and it can always be put back though (also you get to eat pie).

Andy

• Like 1