Wheel Bearings and Warranty?

Grumpy old man

Grumpy old man

Hi

I've got a tiny bit of play in the rear wheel bearing, the bike is 22 Months old with 18500 on the clock. Warranty claim or not?

I will try it but just thought I'd test the water with you guys first.

Thanks

Lloyd

Guest bonekicker

lloyd I am almost certain it would be a warranty claim--the garage as to ok it--and apply to Mr Honda for permission-- But Good Luck :frantics:

Rocker66

I would have thought so but not 100% sure. Put in a claim and see what happens as the worst they can do is say no

• Like 1
Guest machinman

I'm doubtful on this one, but as the guys have said it's worth a try. Worst case if you end up having to pay, it's not an expensive job. 

Keep us posted.

rjp996

100% warranty. If you look at the warranty details it excludes 'wear items' but then goes on the describe items considered wear - bearing are not. I have had rear bearing and soon headstock b airing under warranty. 

My inner bearing went. But the outer bearing sprocket side could be prematurely worn if chain to tight - only get out I can think of. 

For my head bearings I did have to quote the warranty terms, especially when they started questioning the 40k miles the bike had, but that closed down the conversation quickly - Honda terms infer unlimited miles warranty,by stating only a time period 2years and then specifying wear items explicitly. 

Edited by rjp996
  • Like 2
Slowboy
3 hours ago, Grumpy old man said:

Hi

I've got a tiny bit of play in the rear wheel bearing, the bike is 22 Months old with 18500 on the clock. Warranty claim or not?

I will try it but just thought I'd test the water with you guys first.

Thanks

Lloyd

I'd definitely say warranty job due to premature failure, my rear wheel bearings were fine after 28,500 miles

Brian

• Like 1
Guest bonekicker

What is wrong with warranty claims is-- every dealership as a different opinion on the subject--and this is quite wrong--- is it because they cant be bothered? the good dealerships as we know--do not mess about---if it's covered then they will tell you so--and do the warranty work no problem--- as Richard above knows-- having knowledge of the warranty---and being able to argue the point ---correctly ---- is a must--to get any satisfaction--- so read up--and go with the correct information--be confident--and get Mr Honda to pay for the work---and most certainly not yourself--- But then Again Good Luck :frantics:

Tonyj

Mine went about that mileage and it was covered under warranty . The good people at Bellevue (Southend) told me what it was and fixed it .

• Like 1
trisaki

If they cover it they will probably  replace  one or two of the bearings if you do the job you  can replace all three with better  bearings  and know the job has been done properly  for approximately  £20 -£25 

• Like 2
Grumpy old man
7 minutes ago, trisaki said:

If they cover it they will probably  replace  one or two of the bearings if you do the job you  can replace all three with better  bearings  and know the job has been done properly  for approximately  £20 -£25 

If it comes to it I will diy. Do you know what bearing and seals ref numbers/size if I get them from a bearing dealer rather than Honda?

Thanks 

trisaki

Wemoto  do a complete  kit includes seals worth checking  with them it's for 3 bearings though  

• Like 1
Juggler

Rear wheel has 3 bearing. One on the hub is honda's proprietary, but it never fails. Other two are the same as front wheel. You can buy them OEM NSK 6204DDU (honda's catalogues claim it is 6204DU, that is correct, but NSK's own partnumber 6204DDU, if you order 6204DU you'll get chinese instead of japanese ones. But the dustseal on bearing will be 6204DU, that is!). Wheel's dust seals can be cleaned and lubed and can continue working for many more miles (but you should check them anyway). It is best to use Liqui Moly Thermoflex Spezialfett - the grease designed to work with rubber/plastic wheel dust seal and metal axis, it also works best at repelling water etc.

• Like 2
Grumpy old man

Hi all

All done on warranty let's just hope there is no more problems as warranty runs out in June.

Thanks for your comments 

Lloyd 

• Like 4
Rocker66

Glad you got it all sorted.

• Like 1
Grumpy old man
35 minutes ago, Rocker66 said:

Glad you got it all sorted.

Thanks Rocker 

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Peterpoddy

I got mine replaced after similar time and mileage but they're so bloody cheap it's hardly worth it. I just bought 4 bearings, top quality SKFs, for £3.90 each delivered. That's 2 for the rear and 2 for the front, same bearings. Next time I change the tyres those replacement rears will have done about 24k so if they last that long I'll pop new ones in anyway whilst the wheels are out. It's easier to change the bearings than get the bloody wheels out...! :)

Guest aldmannie

The SKFs will probably be far higher quality than the original Honda ones, chances are they won't ever need replacing.

Edited by aldmannie