How many miles per set of rear brake pads

TJW

Hi there everybody.

I've been wondering how many miles people (who like me predominantly use the rear brake) get out of a set of rear brake pads (riding around city traffic only)?

Thanks a lot.

Mikdent

I may be wrong but using your rear brake mostly puts you in a rather small minority. :mellow:

PoppetM

Service report at 8,800 told me 30% wear on the front, 20% on the rear. 

I try to anticipate rather than slam the anchors on. 

• Like 1
stephenmcg

The pads will look very different out as opposed to checking them in-situ. The build up of crud gives the impression they are on their last legs (in my opinion). I was told at dealers when they checked bike over for px that pads were worn. I took them out and disagree. Smcg in glasgow

• Like 2
Grumpy old man

I'm on 18500 and still meat on them.

Whatever the mileage is, that rear brake on the NC is pretty weedy. Even my motor bike instructor said it was crap. Thank god for the ABS and excellent stopping power of the front brake. 

21 hours ago, Mikdent said:

I may be wrong but using your rear brake mostly puts you in a rather small minority. :mellow:

I perfectly agree.

I don't know what it is with me (maybe that's how we were taught in the 1980s back in Germany) but for some reason I rarely use the front (in fact, I only use it - in combination with the rear break - to bolt the bike to the ground via an emergency stop).

As said, I only do 'stop and go' in London and went through a set of Honda-pads in less than 3,000 miles!!!!!

Before somebody points it out: the mounting bolt and the little-retaining-whatsitcalled-thingy were replaced and all bits'n'bobs of the calliper mount cleaned (not to perfection but to what I'd call reasonable standard) before installing the new set!

• Like 1
20 hours ago, stephenmcg said:

The pads will look very different out as opposed to checking them in-situ. The build up of crud gives the impression they are on their last legs (in my opinion). I was told at dealers when they checked bike over for px that pads were worn. I took them out and disagree. Smcg in glasgow

I put a new set on yesterday and there was literally nothing left on them (the disc needed replacing anyway so I took the chance to leave it to the very last minute) … having said that, there might have been another 10 miles or so on them … lol!

michael

While i won't venture a guess as to how many miles are left, I can say the smaller rear brake will have to work a lot harder to stop the bike - and thus wear more quickly - than the more robust front.

I use both, although most predominantly the front brake, and am still on my original rear pads at 35,000 miles.  

Brigante7
17 hours ago, Mikdent said:

I use only my rear brake nearly always, I very rarely use my front brake unless I need to stop in a hurry.

Brigante7.

ThomasMc

Nearly at 24,000 miles and about 3mm left on the original rear pads. Front have been replaced 3 times.

Rev Ken

Perhaps the clue is that manufacturers always put more powerful brakes on the front wheel. Only using the rear brake, except for very slow speed manoeuvring and on ice, is considered poor practice and certainly gives less stability and poorer braking, with the danger of locking the rear wheel. Using the front brake transfers the weight of the bike on to the wheel, allowing heavier braking without the danger of locking up. (I'm assuming we are talking about 'normal' braking while vertical!) I've got a 'photo of my Honda 400cc Superdream with its rear wheel well off the ground without causing the front wheel to skid (I was testing out a prototype brake meter for motorcycles before garages had roller brake testers and had to use a winch and spring balance to do the MOT test!) While linked brakes will aid stability, and stopping power, traditionally when teaching braking it is recommended to use 75% front and 25% rear, unless wet when it is 50/50%. 

Try using different braking methods on a large car park and measure stopping distances and bike stability - without 'grabbing' the front brake which doesn't allow time to get weight transfer!

rjp996

40k and on same rear pads. Use rear break a lot on filtering up the A2 - suppose I should take a look at them now thinking about it.....

Edited by rjp996
Slowboy

Rear pads on mine were replaced at 28500 miles by the new owner, still had just over 1.5m of material.

gonzo

Im assuming by the comments on here that the brakes on the nc AREN'T linked please educate me boys (and girls)

Slowboy

NC700's linked, NC750's not linked is my understanding. To be honest you would notice the difference 95% of the time.

I get about 8000 miles to a set of rear pads but I am heavy on use of the rear. I must be that minority!

On 11 April 2017 at 12:50, Rev Ken said:

"Only using the rear brake … is considered poor practice …"

That's a bit harsh, isn't it? I've had a full motorbike licence for over 30 years and although I don't remember if I used the front brake more when I was younger so far (touch wood) I have always managed to stop when necessary (unlike the driver of the car who rear-ended me and bumped me across a pedestrian crossing in January 2014).

I remember in the old days (prior to ABS) the rear wheel used to lock up more easily when using the rear brake due to the centre of gravity shifting when braking and people of most certainly correct when saying that using the front brake is more powerful … however, I can't see anything wrong with predominantly using the rear (and it looks as if I'm not the only one, after all).

Rev Ken
5 hours ago, TJW said:

That's a bit harsh, isn't it? I've had a full motorbike licence for over 30 years and although I don't remember if I used the front brake more when I was younger so far (touch wood) I have always managed to stop when necessary (unlike the driver of the car who rear-ended me and bumped me across a pedestrian crossing in January 2014).

I remember in the old days (prior to ABS) the rear wheel used to lock up more easily when using the rear brake due to the centre of gravity shifting when braking and people of most certainly correct when saying that using the front brake is more powerful … however, I can't see anything wrong with predominantly using the rear (and it looks as if I'm not the only one, after all).

Just saying what instructors over the years teach and recommend  - I was a 'Star Rider instructor and any rider who only used their rear brake, unless at very low speeds failed. As I've already said, 75%front, 25% rear (for the reasons you have identified), unless slippery then 50/50 and in extreme conditions only rear with everything crossed!

Edited by Rev Ken
  • Like 1
Rocker66
16 minutes ago, Rev Ken said:

Just saying what instructors over the years teach and recommend  - I was a 'Star Rider instructor and any rider who only used their rear brake, unless at very low speeds failed. As I've already said, 75%front, 25% rear (for the reasons you have identified), unless slippery then 50/50 and in extreme conditions only rear with everything crossed!

That is how I was taught 

• Like 1
Guest 2wheels4fun

Still on my original set of read pads with a lot left. Changed the front about 4-5 times.  Only got 46,000 miles on bike so far.  I do use the rear on gavel roads which I just started riding last year.

Guest bornagain
On 11/04/2017 at 20:50, Rev Ken said:

it is recommended to use 75% front and 25% rear, unless wet when it is 50/50%. 

That's also what I was always taught. (Cycling too)

On 11/04/2017 at 20:50, Rev Ken said:

Try using different braking methods on a large car park

It just so happens that I attended a machine control day, last weekend with the KAMG at a huge car park.
One of the exercises was controlled braking (from 30 mph) right up to "let the ABS do all the work". We did all of 1) rear only, 2) front only and 3) both brakes. The marks on the tyres were revealing when the abs kicked in and the difference in stopping distances incredible really.

BTW: I recently joined the KAMG and am loving it, so do come along :)

On 10/04/2017 at 20:09, TJW said:

... pads (riding around city traffic only)? ...

Fuelly says I've now done 7.5k. The back pads looked quite new when I got her. Though I can't vouch for the brand - the backing plate is blue.
I reckon there is 3-4 mm left so that will be the next job. (Oil and filters this weekend.)
I do use the rear often, especially for slow speed control. Each day I ride into central London, via the M25, A2 and blackwall tunnel, lot's of filtering and low speed manoeuvres.

The next set will be EBC HH's - simples.

Ride safe,

Neil