Help with tightening the chain

Guest Rufio

Guest Rufio

Hi all,

Is there anyone near Salisbury that could help with tightening my chain. I bought a new sprocket and chain that got fitted professionally but I think it's too slack. If anyone who has the knowledge to do it I would love to be taught how to adjust it. I've watched videos but I don't quite have the confidence to do by myself.

Thanks

Rufio

rjp996

I'm a bit far away for you I think in East Sussex, else would have been happy to take you through adjusting your chain. 

dannybegood

Real easy, just a tip if you worried, use a sharpie and mark the 14 nut before you turn. Then do the same on the other side. Or video your turns and copy. Torque 98. It is really easy.

Also that's what the notches on the swing arm are for, guides to adjustments.

Edited by dannybegood
Grumpy old man
2 hours ago, Rufio said:

Hi all,

Is there anyone near Salisbury that could help with tightening my chain. I bought a new sprocket and chain that got fitted professionally but I think it's too slack. If anyone who has the knowledge to do it I would love to be taught how to adjust it. I've watched videos but I don't quite have the confidence to do by myself.

Thanks

Rufio

I really appreciate the lack of confidence thing. I  served my apprenticeship as a mechanic some 40 years ago, stripped and rebuilt everything from bikes to tractors to HGV. Now I really struggle with the confidence thing, it's great just to have someone to watch you and ok the job when finished.  Good luck, hope someone from the forum can help.:niceone:

• Like 1
Mike5100
2 hours ago, Rufio said:

Hi all,

Thanks

Rufio

It's easy enough to check whether they have got it correct.  If you have the bike on the sidestand and try to clack the chain at its midpoint against the underside of the swing arm, it should just fail to touch.  If you have a centre stand and put the bike up on it, then the same action will produce a distinct clacking sound as the chain is a bit slacker when the wheel drops loose.  It doesn't matter if the chain is a BIT slacker than this.  Better this way than the dealer who did Grumpy's and mine and tighten them until there was no slack whatsoever.

Mike

trisaki

Bit of a trek for you  but my wshop is always here to help  - find the tightest point and measure should be approximately  35 mm   

embee

Just to reinforce what the others say, a little too slack is better than too tight.

Easiest "rule of thumb" guide is as Mike says above, with the bike on the sidestand you should just about be able to lift the chain midway along the lower run to touch the chain rubbing strip on the underside of the swingarm. As Mark says, with a ruler held beside it that should mean about 35mm of total up/down movement with light finger pressure.

While marks on the adjusters in the slots next to the wheel spindle can be out, it's the easiest and most convenient way to check the alignment is about right. Look carefully at them and you see there are short and long marks. Check they look the same both sides regarding how they line up at the end of the slot.

If you overdo the adjustment and the chain gets too tight, loosen the wheel spindle completely, back off the adjusters a turn or so, and knock the wheel forwards. Then just nip the wheel spindle up so there is some resistance to movement and start adjusting again, a little each side to keep the wheel in line.

One flat (1/6 turn) on the adjuster nut will make a big difference in the chain slack when it's near its correct value, so a little at a time..

Make absolutely sure when you are finished that the 2 nuts on the adjusters are locked firmly together, then double check it. If they come loose the plate can dislodge and turn at 90deg then it hits the sprocket and ends in tears.

• Like 2
Grumpy old man

Twice I've had tyres fitted and twice the bike has come back with the the two adjuster nuts loose and backed off😕

Edited by Grumpy old man
Guest architectural_phil

honestly Rufio, give yourself time and a the right spanners and a measure and try a step at a time. It sounds like you'll find it will be only a slight adjustment to bring within tolerance. then tighten back up all round, drop off the centre stand and check measurements. it will tighten marginally as the bike weight and you load it. I am not a grease monkey but i've got the measure of this now, so, trust me, it is possible! sorry i'm not local to you or i would happily assist.

as an aside - how recently was it done? can you go back and get it checked by the fitter?

Guest Rufio

Thanks for all the advice all. Thanks all that offered to help too. I go to crowborough a couple of days a month to see my parents there so if I having sorted it and go past trisaki or rjp I'll let you know. Just quite a long trip to go for something at the moment. I had it done at a bike garage about a 3 weeks ago. I could go back but i would like to try and learn a little more about the bike so i know for future.

trisaki

Pop in and see me have a natter and a cuppa text when getting  close  to make sure I'm about  and I know you are coming  

ScaredyCat

It's all about the confidence. I can pretty much guarantee you're worried that the back wheel will fall off when you're riding along after you've messed with it. 

The process is quite simple and all the tools you need are, theoretically, in the toolkit. Truth is, I bet you couldn't get the spindle undone with the ones in the kit if you tried, not without hurting yourself.

I bought 4 things to do it with. A steel ruler, torque wrench, digital callipers and a socket to fit the spindle. In the end I've only used the ruler once, I've started using the clack-clack method, it's quicker and not as messy.  Callipers can be had for < a tenner, they'll be good for making sure it's all aligned. Torque wrench is to make sure you don't over tighten the nut. 

That video is quite good ^^^ too. 

It might take time, but you'll get there. Don't worry about it.

Guest Rufio

Good advice Thanks! And thanks for all the pms and offers to help! I'm going to Trevs tomorrow who is down the road in Ringwood, I'll let you know how it goes!

ScaredyCat

Ride away on his AT, see how long it take shim to notice..

Guest Rufio

All sorted! Trev taught me how to do it. Can't believe how much of a small adjustment makes the chain tighten/slacken. Saw all his nice bikes including his at and guzzi. Such a nice bike in great condition, the pictures really don't do it justice. Sound's lush too. I am really tempted, hearts saying yes brain is saying No! As I'm going to alpes in the summer for a couple of weeks 2 up with luggage, would the guzzi really work?!

Thanks Trev for your help and I am sure we will meet up again soon!