750x throttle cable replacement

TheEnglishman

TheEnglishman

Im on an iPhone so I've not tried a search but how much of a PITA is replacing a snapped throttle cable?

the bottom ones gone at the throttle grip. - it looks like you can't just slide a cable down - it looks to me like you have to buy a bespoke cable and the housing around it and then take half the bike to bits to fit it. 

Anyone?

29 minutes ago, TheEnglishman said:

it looks to me like you have to buy a bespoke cable and the housing around it and then take half the bike to bits to fit it. 

Anyone?

Sorry, but that's a reasonable summation of the situation.

When you say the 'housing around it' I assume you mean the outer cable? A cable consists of two parts, the outer which screws into the twist grip housing at one end and the throttle mechanism at the other. There is an inner cable which runs inside the outer and actually does the work, but this can't be replaced separately. Sorry.

Edited by Tex
Rocker66
23 minutes ago, Tex said:

Sorry, but that's a reasonable summation of the situation.

When you say the 'housing around it' I assume you mean the outer cable? A cable consists of two parts, the outer which screws into the twist grip housing at one end and the throttle mechanism at the other. There is an inner cable which runs inside the outer and actually does the work, but this can't be replaced separately. Sorry.

At least on the old bikes this would be a quick simple job. Used to have spare cables taped alongside the ones in use.

• Like 1
TheEnglishman
48 minutes ago, Rocker66 said:

At least on the old bikes this would be a quick simple job. Used to have spare cables taped alongside the ones in use.

Yep.

Thanks chaps.   The right hand throttle heated grips gone too so it's all go here!

Guest Mac750

Hi

If the heated grip works in the LHS then  heated grip wire filiment will have broken on the RHS. When mine went on my LT 1100 I did a quick you tube search and it was a doddle to repair. Sounds like your having fun. 

TheEnglishman
On 23/04/2017 at 16:42, Mac750 said:

Hi

If the heated grip works in the LHS then  heated grip wire filiment will have broken on the RHS. When mine went on my LT 1100 I did a quick you tube search and it was a doddle to repair. Sounds like your having fun. 

The LHS and RHS heated grips are wired in series so if one fails they both fail.    The LHS is ~2ohms while the RHS is OC and I can feel the break in the wire.  I *knew* it would go there

Anyway, I'm up to removing the entire Airbox - which means partly taking off the radiator.  And the 'frunk'.  Which means the LHS and RHS plastics.

Oh and there's an 'A' and a 'B' throttle cable.  No one's quite sure which one I need.  So I bought B as A doesn't seem to be available in the SE.

Who the hell designed this?

• Like 1
wingrider.steve
19 hours ago, TheEnglishman said:

Oh and there's an 'A' and a 'B' throttle cable.  No one's quite sure which one I need.  So I bought B as A doesn't seem to be available in the SE.

The "B" cable is the bottom one on the throttle housing and it's main purpose is to return the throttle grip to the closed position.

If you are careful you do NOT need to dismantle the bike to fit it, I changed a throttle cable a couple of months ago on my 2016 750X without any major dismantling.

Disconnect both ends of the cable and then cable tie the top end of the old cable to the bottom end of the new cable, tape over where you have done this to make the join as smooth as possible, then carefully pull the old cable down so it pulls the new one into position. You need to go slowly and guide the "joined" bit through the area underneath the "frunk" until you have the new cable roughly in position. There was a couple of cable clamps/ties I had to release then refit but it worked for me.

What year is your 750X? If it is a 2016 then the "A" cable is on backorder but if you do need one the one for the 2014 750X will fit even though it is a different part number, this is what I had to do on my bike.

Edited by wingrider.steve
TheEnglishman

there's absolutely no way you can pull this cable through - it has rigid metal 90 degree bends in it at either end and captive nuts.  and some daft U wire bracket just where the front subframe bolts on.  no way you can pull this through.

It's a 2014 750XD with honda heated grips - i'm wondering if that makes a difference?

anyway the part I have is 1/4" too short - the adjuster on 'A' is all the way in and the cable just too short.  Unless someone knows a nifty way to get the end in its holder?

And the part number on the one that came out is different to the replacement.  Back to the stealers tomorrow...

ap,550x550,16x12,1,transparent,t.png

TheEnglishman

Ok - it's on - 'gently' stretching the cable got me that 1/4"

Getting the airbox back on if the reverse of disassemble - in other words just as much a nightmare .

And I may as well do a valve adjustment as the radiator's off......

Permission to say 'Oh cock', again?

Edited by TheEnglishman
  • Like 1
wingrider.steve
10 hours ago, TheEnglishman said:

there's absolutely no way you can pull this cable through - it has rigid metal 90 degree bends in it at either end and captive nuts.  and some daft U wire bracket just where the front subframe bolts on.  no way you can pull this through.

Whoa there, did you actually try to pull it through?

What I posted was not a hypothetical process that I dreamed up, this WAS how I did it.

I did say you would have to release or remove a couple of clamps/guides etc and carefully guide it along the way.

There was maybe no way you could see how to get it pulled through but I managed it.

Edited by wingrider.steve
  • Like 1
TheEnglishman

There's a tie wrap as well as the U clip.  Simply not possible to just pull a new one through on mine without taking the airbox off.  YMMV

Anyway - sorted - it's just a pig and not something you could do on the side of the road.

• Like 1