Wd40 chain wax

alhendo1

alhendo1

Afternoon all....can anyone advise please....I've cleaned and dried of my chain and bought a can of WD40 chain wax.....has anyone used this stuff and can advise how to apply it....the instructions on the can say to apply to the inside of the chain (which would make sense)....but on the website there's an official  how to video showing the guy spraying it all over the outer run of the chain.....or do you do both?....any advice appreciated as I don't want to overdo it and have it flinging off everywhere. Thanks in advance.

Guest Mac750

If it flings just clean it off where it's flung. Wipe the back wheel with a clean rag which has WD 40 sprayed on it and it will clean any mess on the rear wheel. Just don't get it near the rear disk. 

Chain wax does not fling as much as oil anyway.

I use a paint brush and some clean gear oil EP 80 when I get home from a ride and gently paint oil onto the chain whilst the links are warm and expanded slightly. 

I also have a loobman chain oiler fitted and on a longer run I use that now and then when stopped for a coffee or petrol.  Both methods used above do not filing oil everywhere as it's little but often. 

alhendo1

Cheers for the reply....I was just curious to be fair as the video versus instructions contradict one another....I think I'll probably have a think about your method .....I'msure that'll work fine.....just need to decide now....centre stand or paddock stand to ease the cleaning regime!

ChrisCB

I've used the WD chain lube for a while now with good results, I also use the WD chain cleaner before application.

embee

It benefits from spraying both sides of the chain so that it protects the sideplates from possible rusting etc. especially when you've cleaned it using ay sort of solvent. When I used such sprays I used a piece of cardboard held between the chain and wheel to prevent spray going onto the tyre and through the wheel to the disc. You are getting lubricant between the sideplates into where the O-rings are, so you need to make sure both sets of sideplates get sprayed.

... and remember, if you have the bike on a paddock or centrestand, never ever ever put it in gear and run the wheel with the engine, someone on here posted up the pics of the remains of his fingers after doing this quite recently.

• Like 4
alhendo1

Thanks for the replies folks....just been out for a while....have to report minimal fling ....coated both sides.....seems to be good stuff.

• Like 1
Wedgepilot

I've been using this stuff for the last year or so and really rate it.

I used to spray it on the inside of the chain after a run (with a piece of cardboard to protect the wheel from overspray), but since January I've been applying it with a grease ninja - much cleaner! No fling either.

It's the original chain from 2013 and has now done almost 12k in all weathers all year round. No tight spots and I've only just had to adjust it, so I'd say it works fine 👍 

• Like 1
alhendo1

That's good to hear....I think the grease ninja sounds like a good thing....I just need to reign in the spending just now....typical new bike syndrome....I've a Kettenmax chain cleaner on order, an extenda fenda and a rad guard.....just need to decide on centrestand or paddock stand to ease the cleaning.

• Like 1
Wedgepilot

A center stand makes a big difference, it means greasing the chain is literally a 2 minute job after a ride. 

• Like 1
embee

+1 centre stand. It makes sense.