Jerky start

Guest Monty1952

Guest Monty1952

Just lately when starting and twisting the throttle (DCT) it is a but rough. Also on idle it sounds just a bit erratic which makes me think it's not a throttle cable sticking. I have filled up a few times with different brands of gas just in case it was stale gas but that didn't change anything. Any thoughts?

Guest bonekicker

Colin are you maintaining your bike by WDing the cables?  but that would not make it run erratically--I spray right across engine---cables--everything get covered--try it--who knows it may just help :thumbsup: 

Andy m

Throttle and starter button together? Thats a big no no with FI. The computer likes one finger on the button and to be allowed a second or two to stabilise the idle with the throttle position at idle. If you've been giving it throttle while cranking taking the battery leads off to get a reset to factory or one of the teach in procedures (key, don't start, full throttle three times, off ?) might be worth a go.

Andy

Tex

There have been instances of a HT lead/plug cap (possibly plug 'wire' to you Colin) shorting out and causing an erratic spark. Well worth checking. Take the bike to a very dark place and watch the plug caps for sparking to the cylinder heads.

trisaki

As tex says and or ecu reset maybe also a dct reset 

Edited by trisaki
embee

Have the valve clearances been checked recently? I'm getting the feeling this engine is quite sensitive to settings.

I had one experience of rather rough running, just after doing valve clearances. I hadn't pushed one plug cap fully home ....... :doh:

• Like 1
Tonyj

Mine was a simple dct reset , too much London traffic made it all abrupt. Similar symptoms to early rough take up or throttle.

larryblag

On my versys i had very rough running after changing the plugs. Hadn't removed the large rag I'd carefully placed over both throttle bodies. Thank God it was a LARGE rag! Anybody need their bike servicing? 

I'll get me coat...

• Like 1
Guest Mac750

My old Guzzi had an in built spark plug longevity devise fitted. Fire up fine then drop into one cylinder when warm. 

Following day do the same, but on the opposite side to the day before. 

Very entertaining. 

Guest Monty1952

I feel like such a fool but I hadn't noticed the two nuts that hold the two throttle cables just under and to the left of the throttle were loose. When I tightened them the issue went away. Thanks all for the suggestions though.