40K service and MPG gone up..

rjp996

rjp996

Normal my Nc750 gets ridden at speed around the M25 / A2 for most of the 100 mile a day commute, and generally I get 78mpg.

over the past week, I have changed by chain / sprockets and also had a 40k service and now, even with me ridding it hard im getting 83/84 mpg.

My feeling since the service was a just a oil one, is that running with a chain that was well past it and wearing the from sprocket was adding potentially about 8% mpg hit from friction etc.

• Like 5
rjp996

yep same sprockets. however this is the first chain I have changed that I ran it for 8kmiles with a few tight spots, and the only time I have see any wear on the sprocket - wear begin that the teeth on the front sprocket were slightly opened up on one side. I do however ride the bike in 'D'

• Like 1
Tex
54 minutes ago, rjp996 said:

My feeling since the service was a just a oil one, is that running with a chain that was well past it and wearing the from sprocket was adding potentially about 8% mpg hit from friction etc.

On the face of it it's difficult to argue with your logic, Richard. Bloody chains! :)

• Like 2
shiggsy

I think it may be weather related, my mpg has surged recently too. (I'm mostly motorway journey as well these days).

HguB7fu.png

• Like 1
Tex
10 minutes ago, shiggsy said:

I think it may be weather related, my mpg has surged recently too. (I'm mostly motorway journey as well these days).

HguB7fu.png

Spoilsport! I'm much easier to convince that it's the fault of the chain. Any chain..

:D

• Like 3
Guest bonekicker

It's plain common sense that if any component is dry it wont run easily--so causes drag--oil oil oil every thing--apart from tyres--brakes--seat--you know it makes sense :hug: 

Grumpy old man
42 minutes ago, bonekicker said:

It's plain common sense that if any component is dry it wont run easily--so causes drag--oil oil oil every thing--apart from tyres--brakes--seat--you know it makes sense :hug: 

Oil the brakes stop all that drag/ friction (only joking, don't oil the brakes :no:)

• Like 3
larryblag

Chains eh? I thought that the belt final drive was probably the most efficient means of transmitting power to the rear wheel but according to this article this may not be the case.

http://www.bikeradar.com/road/news/article/chain-or-belt-drive-which-is-faster-36074/

Tex

Hmmm, and again it all comes down to 'racing'. OK give race bikes chains and road bikes belts - simples - but NO! Road riders want what racers use! And the whole thing goes round again..

(Goes round again :) chain? Belt? Goes round again? Oh, please yourselves..)

:D 

• Like 3

Not just the wear on the sprockets but the lube inside the rollers dries out and the chain will have tight spots so runs unevenly, it all adds up to make for inefficient use of fuel. The weather does make a difference as I found in Scotland last month when riding against a head wind, returning south from John o Groats,  my MPG dropped from 82 down to 75mpg. Overall I averaged 80.5mpg for the 1900 mile trip so not bad. As a point of interest I use a Scottoiler which probably helps when weather is poor.

Defender

This is of particular interest to me, as I changed my chain and sprockets at the weekend with just under 16,000 miles on the clock.

To be fair I don't know if they are original as some of the original 2012 bikes had the chain changed and mine could have been one of these, but I have done well over 14,000 miles on it and it was well past it's best before date, my MPG had dropped of a bit, down to the low 80's from the mid to upper 80's.

I was out on Sunday on the forum ride down to Sammy Millers Museum and recorded 87.5, but that's not really typical use for me so I will see what the next tank returns.

Guest Mac750

Bike apparel can also make a difference causing drag. Baggy ,bulky, waterproofs and over trousers during cold weather, full touring leathers during spring , or summer jacket and jeans.  Dry weather traffic flows on the fast roads better, less high winds and a new C&S.  All good. Roll on summer, once they have cleared the falling trees of the road in June. :blink:

• 2 weeks later...
Defender

Ok, so first fill up from full commuting, returned 86.5 mpg, so better than it was before the service and chain and sprockets were changed, so I'm a happy 🐰.

SteveThackery
18 minutes ago, Defender said:

Ok, so first fill up from full commuting, returned 86.5 mpg, so better than it was before the service and chain and sprockets were changed, so I'm a happy 🐰.

Good grief, how do you do it?  Mine returns pretty well spot on 70mpg.  Pretty good, but nothing like the 80+mpg others claim.

• Like 1
Defender
Just now, SteveThackery said:

Good grief, how do you do it?  Mine returns pretty well spot on 70mpg.  Pretty good, but nothing like the 80+mpg others claim.

My commute is approx 21 miles each way, 55% motorway the rest is a real mixture of country back lanes, town, a bit of dual carriageway.

Torquey engines seem to suit my riding style, I do use the throttle, but it isn't a switch and goes both ways!

I don't tend to thrash it and use D mode most of the time, it's more than adequate for many situations and only use S mode when a spot more punch is required, have hardly ever used Manual mode but do sometimes shift up or more often down when appropriate.

It works for me 😁.

• Like 1
Guest DelBoy
8 hours ago, SteveThackery said:

Surely the MPG depends on the journey type an riding style etc.

I have a commute into London 44 Miles from NE Kent to NW1.

I don't ride for MPG but am getting 66.6 mpg (spooky) over the last 3 months. quote happy with that could get circa 70+ if I rode like a nun. but WTF,..

It really does depend on the journey.

I suspect that if you were racing about in town it would be down to the mid 50's

If you want to get good mpg, don't get a 750 twin, get a scooter....:ahappy:

Andy m

Currently all MPG will be up, warm nights mean less time on the enricher function (thats what used to be a choke)

There are many variables. Weight, riding style, traffic, wind, weather, servicing, tyre pressure.... I doubt an oil change alone will change it by that much though. There is also measurement error, you really need 50 fill ups to establish the standard deviation in order to pick out the changes from the noise. If that trace comes down it may well just be a slope near the pump stopping you getting as much in.

The Bullet BTW is averaging (roughly based on 10 fill ups) 86 to the gallon.

Andy

• Like 1
Defender

It seems that my mpg has plateaued, another fill up this morning and the result is 87.5mpg again, the same as I got on the Sammy Miller run earlier this month.

Adjusted the chain yesterday as it's been a good few hundred miles since I fitted it and was slightly slacker than the optimal amount.

Edited by Defender
Completeness.
baben

My run round Wales returned 61mpg. That included motorways, A roads and twisties. not bad for a 1050cc motor...

• Like 1
1 hour ago, baben said:

My run round Wales returned 61mpg. That included motorways, A roads and twisties. not bad for a 1050cc motor...

Spot on! Triumph seems to be taking fuel consumption more seriously these days. The Tiger (800) was pretty good (but I don't remember specifics) and the T100 is averaging 64. More than happy with that. :) 

I commute into London and am just pootling through the traffic in D mode mostly, although this will now change to S mode as I find that less hand numbing (?), and I get the consumption below. The one off drop is where i'd syphoned some out for my lawnmower! :D I do use the manual buttons to change down and sometimes up a fair bit, but i'm not trying to get good or bad economy, its just how it works out?

Screen_Shot_2017-06-29_at_15.55.00.png

• 2 weeks later...
Defender

Just an update, my latest refuelling has resulted in 89.1 mpg, 258 miles from 13.00 litres of unleaded, but still haven't hit the magic 90mpg yet!