Brake bleeding vacuum pump-Which one?

djsb

I've decided to get over my brake fluid/brake bleeding phobia and would like to buy a Vacuum pump style tool. Which ones can people recommend for home/small workshop use? Thanks.

Andy m

Sealy pump for me. 

Andy

1 hour ago, Andy m said:

Sealy pump for me. 

Andy

Is that the VS820?

Guest bonekicker

If you open the bleed valve on the caliper --does the brake fluid not drain out--or pump out with the brake lever-- or is it just a want thing? what's a --brake fluid/brake bleeding phobia?? what feelings do you get--did you have childhood problems about this? does it effect your sex life--have you tried counseling? you can sit in a circle with other --brake fluid/brake bleeding phobia--people and talk about it--medication may help--or have you smoked much wacky backy today?? :hug:

Spindizzy

On a bike I just draw out the reservoir with a large syringe, fill with new and pump away on the levers in a squeeze lever, open nipple,drain fluid,tighten nipple,release lever and repeat type of thing....oohh err

I use an easy bleed on an aeroplane as I can't quite reach from the cockpit to the undercarriage. Usually back bleed on a rig.

Are these things actually used on bikes? Seems like overkill.

14 minutes ago, bonekicker said:

If you open the bleed valve on the caliper --does the brake fluid not drain out--or pump out with the brake lever-- or is it just a want thing? what's a --brake fluid/brake bleeding phobia?? what feelings do you get--did you have childhood problems about this? does it effect your sex life--have you tried counseling? you can sit in a circle with other --brake fluid/brake bleeding phobia--people and talk about it--medication may help--or have you smoked much wacky backy today?? :hug:

No, too much hard work. I use this forum as my therapy.

• Like 1
Andy m

Vs4021 according to google, the old brass hand pump type.

Bleeding ABS systems using the master cylinder alone can be highly frustrating, impossible in the case of a certain German brand with stupid servos.

The syringe trick works but you need to be careful the nipple doesn't slip (Ooer Missus). With ond hand on the pipe and one on the plunger if the nipple rocks it can take a quick gulp of air. With the pump you have one hand on the hose and one on the nipple, so it only turns.

Andy

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Andy m said:

Bleeding ABS systems using the master cylinder alone can be highly frustrating, impossible in the case of a certain German brand with stupid servos.

However our friend here has a 750 X that removes ALL the issues other bikes have due to ABS.

I have the a version of the Mityvac kit on the top of this page: http://mityvac.com/pages/products_bcbe.asp as used by many of the forum members here. It was well worth the extra coin over some of the other offerings. All you need to do is make sure you never empty the reservoir. Have someone watch it for you until you get comfortable with the process.

Edited by Hati
wingrider.steve

I also had that same Mityvac for many years and just replaced it with this, the metal bodied one at the top of this page:-

http://www.mityvac.com/pages/products_hvpk.asp

Mityvac kit is so well made it is worth paying for.

Edited by wingrider.steve
  • Like 1
gonzo

Sealey vs 402 is what iv been using for some years,...

embee

Mityvac.

Others are available.

Big advantage of the vac systems is that you have a steady flow of fluid which purges air effectively. It makes changing fluid a 10min job, right first time.

• Like 2