700X Suspension Preload.

Bigglesaircraft

Bigglesaircraft

I have just fitted a dirt shield using an old plastic flower pot to protect the rear shock and spring, seems to be very effective. Whilst doing this I noticed that it looks like you can adjust the preload on the suspension, is this the case? If so what effect does it have on handling and if the preload tension is reduced does this affect ride height and stability?

trisaki

Yes you can adjust  it but Honda doesn't give you  the  c-spanner - doesn't  make a lot of difference  as your  bike is a 700 (like mine ) probably  done more than 10,000 my just bite the bullet  and replace  it and that will make a difference    shocks can be had from £290 upwards  

Bigglesaircraft

No I don't need to replace it yet as my bike has only 2300 Kms genuine on the clock and is in concourse condition. Just wondering how releasing the tension wound affect the ride height etc.

Edited by Bigglesaircraft
  • Like 1
SteveThackery
1 hour ago, Bigglesaircraft said:

No I don't need to replace it yet as my bike has only 2300 Kms genuine on the clock and is in concourse condition. Just wondering how releasing the tension wound affect the ride height etc.

You've nailed it.  The pre-load setting alters only the ride height.  You want the suspension to sag by about a third of its total travel (i.e. from topped out) when you are sitting on the bike ("experts" differ on the ideal amount) .  That puts the suspension in the optimum place to respond to bumps and dips in the road.  The pre-load setting is there to set the amount of sag.

If you've got short legs, like I have, you may find the seat height a bit high for comfort, so you can wind down the pre-load (i.e. increase the sag) a bit more, to maybe half the total travel, but be aware that you increase the chance of the suspension bottoming out on big bumps.  

Despite what various road testers will tell you, the pre-load does not alter the "stiffness" or "firmness" of the suspension.  

Edited by SteveThackery
  • Like 3