Valve Clearancees

Staningrimsby

Staningrimsby

Hi Guys,

Could you please clear up a question for me, I am going to do my valve clearances at the weekend but have read online that there are some discrepancies regarding the markers of the camshaft in the rear sight hole. When getting the engine to TDC which mark on the rear sight hole should you use the top marker or the bottom marker ??

https://goo.gl/photos/AYX3gHtNimQr1mwT7

rjp996

i had thought it was mark 1 myself but...... Since you are determining TDC if it was me I would double check it with a 'chopstick' method - eg when im setting valves on my tractor or kids quads, I stick a wooden chopstick down the plug hole and watch it as it gets pushed out and then starts to retract again (the point where is is at its max 'out' being TDC.

At least using this method to double check should let you know, as if it was mark 4, it would be 180 degrees wrong and the chopstick would be at the lowest point. (i use a wooden chopstick to not scratch the bore 'aka if you use a screwdriver !!!')

rjp996

I would expect when setting cylinder 1 to Mark 2, that cylinder 2 would be at Mark 4 etc - maybe this is why people are referring to Mark 4 in that its a double check that you have TDC on the cylinder you are setting and that the cam chain is not out of sync

I'm not sure if you've seen the handy Tube vid on doing exactly this job on the NC - he also has a bunch of other interesting ones (for a noob like me anyway): 

• Like 2
Dashwood

Great video Mike, hadn't seen this before.

Take your plugs out with the supplied plug socket and make sure you only rotate the engine in the direction it was intended to run. I don't get why some people just struggle to overcome compression instead of removing the plugs...

That all seems straight forward enough.  I'm sure the mechanics at Kent Motorcycles will have no problem doing that for me when the time comes.

• Like 1
Staningrimsby

This is the video I found on you tube, seems pretty good but just this issue with the rear markers,