How many brake pad changes to disc's last

rjp996

rjp996

Hi - im on 40+k and only on my second set of front pads and original rear. Since brake disc wear is non millage specific, I was wondering what the experience of others are with regards how many sets of pads they would expect an NC brake disk to last - esp since I looked up the costs !!!!

ste7ios

BRAKE DISC INSPECTION

1. Visually inspect the brake discs for damage or crack.

2. Measure the brake disc thickness using a micrometer.

SERVICE LIMITS:
Front: 4.0 mm (0.16 in)

Rear: 4.0 mm (0.16 in)

Replace the brake disc if the smallest measurement is less than the service limit.

3. Measure the brake discs warpage using a dial indicator.

SERVICE LIMITS:
Front: 0.30 mm (0.012 in)

Rear: 0.30 mm (0.012 in)

Check the wheel bearings for excessive play, if the warpage exceeds the service limit.

Replace the brake disc if the wheel bearings are normal. 

• Like 2
Andy m

Any answer will be specific to how the bike is used. You can get discs wiped out by two sets of pads while others last 20. Every bike disc I've ever changed was an MOT fail for warping suggesting they are a bit thin.

Andy

• Like 1
coopers12345
On ‎13‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 20:43, Mac750 said:

Or as a mate if mine did, ride them until metal on metal suggesting he was a bit dim. ☺️

Yeah, but then they only last one brake pad change :blink:

DaveM59

They should last forever, my X9 (which I bought new in 2004) is still on all original discs at 70,000 miles, my 2012 Integra (bought 14 months ago) at 14,000 miles had a new rear disc replaced by the dealer as I said I wanted new pads. Definitely must be down to owner style/misuse as I doubt anyone here would agree to Piaggio scooter discs being much better quality than Honda NC ones would they?

Maybe lack of use, corrosion and the associated clean up (where does the oxide go - embedded in the pad?) could be part of the problem. I haven't used the Integra since the Trough of Bowland batton exchange ride a couple of months ago and they are really rusty could be one explanation why low mileage weekend bikes eat discs. I clean mine off with scotch pads before use if possible, took 10 minutes yesterday so it's ready for work tomorrow.

Guest Mac750

Organic made from endangered green tree frogs don't thin out the disc rotors but don't last long ether, plus they hold on with the odd "Rivet"🐸

Sorry I'll get my coat

coopers12345
9 hours ago, DaveM59 said:

They should last forever, my X9 (which I bought new in 2004) is still on all original discs at 70,000 miles, my 2012 Integra (bought 14 months ago) at 14,000 miles had a new rear disc replaced by the dealer as I said I wanted new pads. Definitely must be down to owner style/misuse as I doubt anyone here would agree to Piaggio scooter discs being much better quality than Honda NC ones would they?

I once had a Ford dealer try to suggest that I needed new pads and discs on the front of my Mondeo as the pads were worn and the discs were 'excessively corroded,' at £330+ for the pads and discs(fitted) I declined. 2 MOTs and services later I sold the car having changed the front pads once and never touched the discs as they were still legal. Oddly they were an advisory on the first MOT but not the second despite both being done at the same garage and covering 12,000ish miles in between!

• Like 1
Defender

I'm on my first replacement set of brake pads, changed them a year ago after about 12000 miles.

I used to have a '89 Vauxhall Astra that used to have a set of brake pads every 9000 mile service and a set of discs every other 9000 mile service, but it wasn't just me as we had another Astra of the same age etc., that was the same, we had them from new, they were both lease cars so the cost wasn't down to the company.

my rear disc was just under 4mm at 50000 miles I am on 4.2 mm on a front disc which has 30000 miles on it.

I seem to get through a cheap set of pads every 10 000 miles and primarily only use my rear brake except for more emergency style braking...a good habit on my extremely muddy sloppy roads where I live!

on a slightly different brake related problem..my ,I thought , sticky front calliper pistons  was in fact a weak return spring on the rear brake lever and a stiff feeling rear brake piston (the piston the rear brake lever acts on under the rear reservoir)..and also a stiff linkage caused by grit and many bent levers from falls....

my slightly suspect water pump leakage has not reappeared after fresh antifreeze after a valve check.